gambler

your thoughts/opinions/criticisms/ on this setup

So I am upgrading the security system at my retail business and after doing some research on this site and others, I have put together the following system. I would like your thoughts, opinions, criticisms, and or recommendations on the following:

PC DVR:

Aventura Commercial H.264 DVR

16 ch video & audio

500GB HD

DVD Burner

Intel 965 chipset, Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

RAM - 1024MB DDR2

Video - ATI 512MB Dual VGA

Indoor Cameras:

Panasonic WV-CF294

Outdoor Cameras:

Panasonic WV-CP254L2, L5

The inside of the store has a height of 8'6" with drop tile ceilings, w/no insulation. The lighting is powered by fluorescent lamps. There are no windows in the store, and the only natural light that comes in, is from the front foyer/entry way. I need to monitor 4 cash registers, and that is why I went with the vari-focal lens so that I can get the exact shot that I need.

For the outdoor cameras I took into consideration the night lighting and weather. My store is located in the city and the lights for the outside of my store are on timers (fluorescent lamps under an awning) and don't go off until 3 am, and there are street lights that are on all night as well. The weather in Maryland can vary from 15F in the winter (maybe colder) to 100+F in the summer.

At first, I was going to just by some camera's from Aventura, but after reading some posts regarding camera performance, I thought going the Panasonic/name brand route will help me in the long run. The main features that I am looking for in a camera is Clarity and Longevity. The Aventura camera's only have a 1yr warranty (opposed to the 3yr from Pana), and they told me that they "manufacture" their own cameras.

Just wanted to see what your thoughts are on this setup and if you can recommend any other camera manufacturers that maybe alittle cheaper than the Panasonics, but from what I've read on other posts and generally with all electronics products, you get what you pay for.

Thanks in advance...

So I am upgrading the security system at my retail business and after doing some research on this site and others, I have put together the following system. I would like your thoughts, opinions, criticisms, and or recommendations on the following:

PC DVR:

Aventura Commercial H.264 DVR

16 ch video & audio

500GB HD

DVD Burner

Intel 965 chipset, Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

RAM - 1024MB DDR2

Video - ATI 512MB Dual VGA

Indoor Cameras:

Panasonic WV-CF294

Outdoor Cameras:

Panasonic WV-CP254L2, L5

The inside of the store has a height of 8'6" with drop tile ceilings, w/no insulation. The lighting is powered by fluorescent lamps. There are no windows in the store, and the only natural light that comes in, is from the front foyer/entry way. I need to monitor 4 cash registers, and that is why I went with the vari-focal lens so that I can get the exact shot that I need.

For the outdoor cameras I took into consideration the night lighting and weather. My store is located in the city and the lights for the outside of my store are on timers (fluorescent lamps under an awning) and don't go off until 3 am, and there are street lights that are on all night as well. The weather in Maryland can vary from 15F in the winter (maybe colder) to 100+F in the summer.

At first, I was going to just by some camera's from Aventura, but after reading some posts regarding camera performance, I thought going the Panasonic/name brand route will help me in the long run. The main features that I am looking for in a camera is Clarity and Longevity. The Aventura camera's only have a 1yr warranty (opposed to the 3yr from Pana), and they told me that they "manufacture" their own cameras.

Just wanted to see what your thoughts are on this setup and if you can recommend any other camera manufacturers that maybe alittle cheaper than the Panasonics, but from what I've read on other posts and generally with all electronics products, you get what you pay for.

Thanks in advance...

Excellent choice on the cameras... specially the outdoor package that uses CP254 camera - true day/night version... The product code however does not show the package that it comes with... Is it possible you meant POC254L2?

The picture quality that you will see using these cameras will be exceptional.

As for the DVR, do not know anything about the manufacturer... so I can not comment.

sorry... but yes they are the POC254L5 and L2 models. I thought it would make the install alittle easier.

Excellent... using 5.0-50mm and 2.8-12mm variations... Installation should be a snap, as you bought complete package with the housing with heater and blower and one of the true day/night cameras in the market...

Nothing could be said negative about these camera packages..

Only if other members can give their take on your chosen DVR... then you are ready to rock and roll...

Good luck and let me know if you need any assistance.

I just hope that this won't be overkill as the camera's alone cost just as much as the DVR.

CCTV, from your experiences do most quality Dome's cost around the $300 mark?

I just hope that this won't be overkill as the camera's alone cost just as much as the DVR.

CCTV, from your experiences do most quality Dome's cost around the $300 mark?

Good approximation... and you get all the goods that come with it, including 3 years warranty...

It also depends on the timing you decide to purchase and the application... If you are using a minidome for indoor with constant lighting (to external light changes), you can have pricing closer to $200 mark and sometimes lower (on special large purchases sometimes we can save our customers 50% or more)...

Only retail pricing please guys

So a quality dome is essentially approx $500-800+, Retail.

now since I have 3 outdoor cameras with housings that require 24V and 10 indoor cameras that use 12V, what power supply would be best in this situation?

Would 2 supplies be the way to go?

I only know of the Altronix that does both voltages, but it is only 8 channels each, so yes in this case you would want a 16 channel 12 and a 4 channel 12. If you may be adding more 12VDC cameras at sometime then might want to bump that up to a 16 channel one time.

Rory and CCTV, sorry for all the questions, but I am doing this install myself with the help of a low level electrician. I am responsible for getting all the equipment first so I just want to make sure I am getting what I need.

What amp ratings should I go with?

There seem to be a multitude of choices: 1.2amp, 4amp, 5amp, 6amp, 7.25amp, 10amp

Rory, I'm gonna take your advice and get a 24V for 4 cameras (3 box cameras in a housing with heater and blower), and 12V for 16 cameras (for my 10 inside dome cameras).

Rory and CCTV, sorry for all the questions, but I am doing this install myself with the help of a low level electrician. I am responsible for getting all the equipment first so I just want to make sure I am getting what I need.

What amp ratings should I go with?

There seem to be a multitude of choices: 1.2amp, 4amp, 5amp, 6amp, 7.25amp, 10amp

Rory, I'm gonna take your advice and get a 24V for 4 cameras (3 box cameras in a housing with heater and blower), and 12V for 16 cameras (for my 10 inside dome cameras).

Gambler, unless if you changed your strategy in usage of the cameras from Panasonic, that will explain why you need 12VDC supply... Are you using these Panasonic minidomes for indoor (which takes both 24VAC and 12VDC power supply) or you choose to go with a different model that requires 12VDC? If so, which camera did you select?

Also, you can use the Altronix ALTV1224C model... first 8 position will be 24VAC and the second bank of 8 will be 12VDC... All you have to do is to have 4 closest cameras to the power supply to be shared by 2 of the DC ports of the same... As long as they are within 50' range, you can tie 2 cameras per DC port and that should work just fine... This way you do not need any additional power supplies and you can use this model to supply everything that you will need.

Rating for this power supply is as follows:

3.5 amps continuous supply current at 24VAC output

3.5 amps continuous supply current at 12VDC output

With above specs and as long as you use shortest distance cable lengths, you should be fine it tying 2 cameras per power supply output port.

my bad... the old cameras that I was looking to get were 12V, and for some reason that just stuck in my head. Having everything 24V will definitely make things easier now. Still going with the Panasonics.

i would throw 2 500GB drives in that box with storage being so cheap; all the cameras you listed can be powered with 24vac so i would just go with one 16channel altronix powersupply - you could even get away with using an 8 - the indoor cameras dont have any draw to them at all... but go ac so you dont have to worry about polarity or distance. use good coax with copper braiding from west penn or another quality mfg

and go with a 17 or 19inch monitor - crt would be best but a quality lcd thats not widescreen will be fine

i also like ganz/cbc america for their lightweight indoor domes - zcd6039nha i think is the model i use for my hotel/hospital clients. -- 2 screws with 2 of those white drywall anchors pinched between the drop ceiling tile and ur on to the next one -easy install work

my bad... the old cameras that I was looking to get were 12V, and for some reason that just stuck in my head. Having everything 24V will definitely make things easier now. Still going with the Panasonics.

In that case, all you need is 16 channel 24VAC power supply... recommendation is Altronix ALTV2416... unless if you will be running more than 250' of 18/2 power cable, then you will need higher amperage power supply and there are many to choose from.

I'll second the Ganz line. Dual voltage, internal balun capable, and easy to install and adjust.

But, I've also seen some of the Panasonic images shown here, and they are nice as well.

You'll have to post some pictures to show us how it went. Sounds like a great project. Good luck.

i would throw 2 500GB drives in that box with storage being so cheap; all the cameras you listed can be powered with 24vac so i would just go with one 16channel altronix powersupply - you could even get away with using an 8 - the indoor cameras dont have any draw to them at all... but go ac so you dont have to worry about polarity or distance. use good coax with copper braiding from west penn or another quality mfg

and go with a 17 or 19inch monitor - crt would be best but a quality lcd thats not widescreen will be fine

i also like ganz/cbc america for their lightweight indoor domes - zcd6039nha i think is the model i use for my hotel/hospital clients. -- 2 screws with 2 of those white drywall anchors pinched between the drop ceiling tile and ur on to the next one -easy install work

I'm not sure what brand the Coax cable that I'm getting, but it is a RG59U/18awg with coper braiding on the power side.

CRT's definitely have the better color resolution, but due to space, I'm just gonna go with a wide screen LCD, possibly 22".

I'll let the electrician know about your recommendation using the ac current.

Thanks for your input, really appreciated.

In that case, all you need is 16 channel 24VAC power supply... recommendation is Altronix ALTV2416... unless if you will be running more than 250' of 18/2 power cable, then you will need higher amperage power supply and there are many to choose from.

the longest run that I have is probably around 100', all the other camera's are, i would say, within 50'-75' so I'm just going to stick with your original recommendation.

I'll second the Ganz line. Dual voltage, internal balun capable, and easy to install and adjust.

But, I've also seen some of the Panasonic images shown here, and they are nice as well.

You'll have to post some pictures to show us how it went. Sounds like a great project. Good luck.

I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop, as I've gotten so many great recommendations and personal experiences on this forum. Really don't know what I'd do, or how much I would've spent without people's gracious advice and knowledge. You'd be surprised what some people wanted to charge me for some really outdated products.

gambler, CBC/Ganz also has great product line and they work very well... So does Sanyo, Bosch and few others. Your best bet is to figure out exactly what you want to spend and then line up your ducks... Price will vary tremendous if you go from CBC to Panasonic (and being the best in its category) and others that will fall in between... Just remember this, regardless which brand cameras or DVRs you purchase - always demand and do not settle for less than 3 years warranty on everything you purchase.

Good luck.. let us know what you decide.

I think you are pretty much right on. But here is what I would also recommend in general. With cameras it starts at the lens. The better the lens, the better the possible shot. In the past we have bought cameras and we found out the camera was good but the lens is what hurt the end result. Aventura does make good cameras and uses Japanese lenses with a good f-stop. I am not sure about the warranty as I have been told they have 3-year warranties.

If there are any issues that may result in difficult lighting conditions the latest and the greatest is wide dynamic which cleans up some of the back lighting problems and glare.

The fact is you are 100% right you get what you pay for. The questions you need to ask about cameras are what lens, resolution and the technology. The CCD are usually either 380, 470 or 520 lines although some call a 380 a 420 and some call a 470 a 480 and some call a 520 a 540 or higher but they are all Sony chipsets regardless. The second aspect is wide dynamic and then of course low light concerns.

What we have done in the past is make sure of the return policy then before committing to a larger volume of cameras we have bought one of each from a few suppliers and compared them. Many were the same during daytime and normal lighting but when u got into difficult lighting or nightime there were issues or noise.

I like the Panasonic, Sony, Bosch and Aventura products they all work well.

From the DVR side Aventura definitely makes the best product although many other diehards here will scream and say otherwise but I say if it's good enough for the big boys I am sure it works fine in the smaller installs too.

As far as who "manufactures" so u understand with CCTV cameras the CCD 98% are made by Sony since a foundery to make the CCD costs in the $$billions so they really don't have much in the way of competition. So whether it's Aventura, Bosch or whomever they all buy the CCD from Sony and then they make a board set and then assemble and add a lens. So it comes back to the quality control of the board and the quality of the lens.

so I finally got done with the install, and have had the system up and running now for about a week. The hardest part to the install was running the wires, especially the ones outside, other than that, it was fairly simple.

Now my opinions on the hardware... all the Pano camera's are great, and the guy who I hired to do the install, took one look at the cameras and said "wow, these look expensive". which they were, but the build and picture quality are definitely worth the extra cash if you ask me and knowing that these cameras have a 3 yr warranty gives me assurance that these cameras will last a long time.

as far as the dvr goes, i think i may have made the wrong decision on going with Aventura's pc based system. I went against some strong recommendations regarding the reliability of pc based systems, but seeing as some of those posts were made 2 or 3 years ago, and with the way technology has advanced since then, I thought how could I go wrong.

Well, within the first few hours I had the system freeze up and had to reboot the system, and so far out of the week and a half I have been using the system, it has held up on me everyday. I would say it has run without a reboot for maybe 2 days w/out any problems. I am thinking about returning the system, and getting a Pano dvr, but lets just say Aventura's customer service is in par with calling the IRS.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on the camera's and the dvr. at least i made one right decision, but I will keep you guys updated and let you know how things go with Aventura. I hope I come back with a positive review on them.