sirrox

Newbie - New Residential Camera Setup

I've got a new home that I had wired for 5 security cameras. I' looking for some confirmation on the rough-in and some pointers on the cameras.

The installer used cat5e cables, stating 1 pair for DC power and 1 pair for video. I suspect this is not as good as running coax, but is it acceptable?

I have 3 indoor cameras, another 1 over my garage and 1 overlooking the backyard. All cameras are home run to my mechanical room. I then have 2 cat5e cables run to my office where I plan to have my PC based DVR setup. Hopefully this is OK as well.

What I would like out of the system...

1. Be able to check in when on holidays and ensure everything looks in order.

2. Reocrd upon motion during times we identify (such as daytime when we are at work or on holidays).

3. I do not need up close and personal face recognition, but a good general picture. I also feel being able to record in low/zero light is important for burglary.

For the indoor cameras they are all roughed-in high on the wall (about 7') and overlooking the main traffic areas on each floor. It is important that the camera be subtle (ideally flush mount and somewhat appealing to the eye, with a slight wide angle). I was looking at the KPC-D950CH camera. Inexpensive, adjustable camera head, somewhat discrete yet able to view in low light. But what scares me is the "inexpensive" part. They also do not post details regarding the nm of the IR LED's. Would this be a suitable camera? Or would I be better off with a B&W camera without the IR?

For the Garage unit I am OK with a typical style security camera. The garage is 23 x 24 and the cam will be mounted at about 10' from the floor mid wall. The outside cam is looking over a 100' wide x 40' deep backyard from the top of the soffit (about 25' high).

I was hoping to keep my camera cost to the 1000 range for all 5.

I plan on putting the DVR Card in my computer. Now I want something that can handle the 5 cameras at once during monitoring, but recording can be limited to say 2 or 3 channels at a time. I was looking at the GV-2008 Geovision, but from what I read it is still very finicky with most computers. Should I go with a software based compression card? I am ok with 500 to 1000 dollars on this card.

Thanks.

I'd use RG over CAT5. easier to install and maintain. Yes CAT5 it works ok.

Since you roughing in;

- run a video out cable from the DVR room to each room in your house that will have a TV in it so that you can connect your DVR monitor output to them.

- get away from IR if possible by installing/planning motion lighting. again, easier to maintain

- I like the new min armor domes they have out now. very nice to look at and the pics are decent. easy to clean.

- DVR? I'd use Avermedia, maybe use (2) 1304NET. They are cheap and work great. You won't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, ect. Just bench install them and then hide them. I'd seperate them so that if a thief gets in they only find one and you may still have video of the break in? Install decent sized hard rives and record always..storage is cheap!

- run as many camera cables NOW so that you don't have to work harder later to add them. Cable is cheap.

- put a 2" PVC pipe into the wall of the room you plan on installing the DVR & networking. This will keep things easy for upgrades and wire runs in general. run it up the wall into the attic, sheeet roak it clean.

- add more plugs in the "room" and add a extra AC vent in the "room". I'm building next year and plan on having a closet type room with it's own AC vent, plugs high and low, rack mounted network center. that room will have pass thrus to the lower floors and attic

- IR outdoors on a open area is going to be dark and featureless. Use motion lighting!

- B&W is ok but there are cams out there that provide both decent night and day.

- consider upgrading to a 1704hybrid............use some Axis 207MW's indoors.......wirless and the pic is sweet! Hybrid allows you to add remote IP cameras to the DVR.

- If your stuck on a PC based.go with the 6480express....software compression that works great..16 channels, Hybrid, bells & whistles

PC DVR's are nice but they are PC's......and PC"s need updates, and are open to PC type problems/attacks. Standalones (1304NET) and pretty much "turn on and forget" machines and can't be messed up to bad. Most people who purchase PC DVR's don't really use all the bells and whistles they offer anyway. KISS............record and be happy!

I need more coffee.........