baywatch

Plasma screen

Hi

Maybe someone can give me some advice?

I am installing a system for a customer using a Geovision card & the MD has asked me to supply him with a 42 inch Plasma screen.

I have been told that Plasma is not suitable for cctv use as the images burn in very quickly.

I have offered the customer a 32 inch LCD screen (which I have used before with no problem) but he would prefer the larger screen if possible.

Some suppliers in the U.K advertise the Plasma screens for cctv use but fudge when asked how long they will last.

One even told me to tell the customer not to leave it on for long periods (they should try that with this MD)

Any advice appreciated.

Baywatch,

I can't comment on the Geo / large screen issue, but certainly as regards using a Plasma screen, I wouldn't want to go there!

The LCD option would be far preferable, but then if the customer has more money than sense, it may not be worth the argument; provided of course the customer is prepared to accept a written disclaimer from you about the risks of image retention.

One option you could consider is projection. I've seen an impressive 'back projection' unit designed for CCTV control rooms.

You'll need to have a look at Barco's website, http://www.barco.com

and if I recall correctly, they have an office somewhere in Berkshire, so you could probably get some more info over the phone. (better sit down before they tell you the price!!)

Hi

Thanks for your input.

A rear projection screen is not an option as the unit must be as thin as poss.

I have talked the MD into having a Samsung 32 inch unit.

This was a sensible size as the office is smaller than 1st described to me.

Thanks again for the replies.