andy.richards

'.dvr files' need help playing and converting

HI,

I am conducting an investigation with a PC based CCTV system.

The specific files required have the extension of '.dvr'. Parsing these files through many different media players has failed. I have also attempted to convert these files to a more generic readable format i.e. .avi or mpeg. The conversions has also failed.

PLEASE HELP ME, many internet searches have returned fruitless.

The proprietary software on the the PC is called 'DVR' and apparently the player required is called 'DVP' player which I cannot find anywhere on the net and I do not have access to. I only have access to the files.

Other searches on the net have suggested that the codec h.264 is required to play these.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I JUST NEED TO SUCCESSFULLY CONVERT THESE FILES INTO AVI OR MPEG.

THANKS

Hi Andy,

I think you have a wave-p card in that PC, as it uses the dvr software to record in those .dvr format files. The dvp software is for playback.

That software package only allows you to archive the content to its native .dvr format, the only other option is to archive the content to a self playing wmv file. Their website is wave-p.com.

hope this helps............Mark

Mark,

Thanks very much for this, it has certainly led me in the right direction, even though the wave-p site doesn't seem too accessible at the moment.

I will contact them and see if they can provide me with the software.

I eventually found that using the active X player plug-in for IE the files would play but in order to convert them I resorted to using the program snagit to capture the video onscreen, which I then saved in .avi format.

I will see if i can get hold of DVP from wave-p to do it properly.

Again thanks very much for your reply.

The only way I found to convert these files into .avi is to have the dvr file playing on screen. You then need to use the application snagit (disable screensavers and reduced hardware acceleration to none in windows). SnagIt will copy the window where the video is playing and when finished it will save it in .avi format.

Let me know how you get on.

how is the .dvr to .avi going on? is it successful? i recently bought a dvr card that record video in .dvr extension. i am having the same headache of converting the .dvr to VCD or DVD format. did u find any other solution?