cel49

Can an rf modulator work with satellite?

I'm trying to install a couple of cameras at my house. I have two ultrak color cameras going into 2 sony time lapse vcrs through rg59 cable. I also have dish network satellite telivision. If possible, what I would like to do is view these cameras on all of the telivisions throughout the house. I am unexperienced when it comes to a lot of this but from what I understand I could run the two vcrs into a two input rf modulator and run that into a combiner along with the satellite feed, which would distribute that throughout the house. I believe I read that this would with cable telivision, but does it work with satellite? If not, what would be the best way to view the cameras even if its just on one tv.

Thanks,

David

Home Depot and Lowes sell a Satellite Diplexor that looks like a cable splitter. 2 inputs, 1 out. , but, it basically takes the satellite signal and rf signal, combine them into one signal. You need 2 of these to complete a circuit, or one to each device you need to link up. They work great and are very inexspensive (less than 15.00 ea) and if you do a WEB search you can find them cheaper. I use them to combine my local cable and satellit signal. It also passes the voltage required for the satellite LNB's. Be careful, the satellite dish voltage passes over the satellite cable and is provided by each satellite receiver. If you pass and combine you may short out your satelite receivers. Some receivers allow you to disable the dc voltage or a dc blocker maybe used. I labeled all my satellite feeds with a red tape to identify them as "hot".

A satellite diplexer will not allow him to put his composite video camera signal on his MATV system to be viewed on other TVs. The only way to do this is to convert the composite video signal to an RF signal and mix it with the other signals distributed to his TVs