Sign in to follow this  
ls2ttgto

New system for community entrance

I just received a call today for a 8 camera hi-res install at a local gated community. Need suggestions on whether to use wireless cameras or run cable. Need to send the quote on in 3 days and i am going by the location today. I need all he help i can get for this one. Never done a guard house install before. They are basically looking to be able to see the tags of visitors and residence entering and leaving the community. What would you guys suggest we do to run the cables from each side of the guard house to the dvr inside the guardhouse.

Did they leave any stub ins or unfilled conduit at the ghouse? A lot would depend on your ability and cost factor to trenching, pavement/concrete breaking etc and aside from the entry cam(s) where else do they want to monitor? Is there only one entry? What kind of gate is it (slider, barrier...etc) is the ghouse manned, will you be inspected are there any code issues you need to address before spec your job,see if you can get a asbuilt on the entire site where you will be working. In so far as plate capture I would use a dedicated cam(s) designed for that service mounted on solid posts with a small iron crash post beneath it,installed with a footer. You can enable video capture with the gate function or use motion, all these questions are related to your conditions at the site.

I've done 2 gated and have lots of advice...........where do you want me to begin?

- high res cams is only a part of the solution. positioning of the cams, lighting, and bottle necking traffic are all things you need to plan.

- LPR? there are cheap ones and mid range and extreme......

- enclosures or armor domes?

- RG-59 siamese or CAT5 direct burry & baluns?

- passwords and camera access? Gated community types like to control all and more

- internet link speed & projected viewers?

- IP cams for remote off-site video recordings?

- DVR? ease of use. playback is decent? common AVI file or palyer required?

- ports open or blocked? this is a biggie that you need to "test" before you contract a simple install

if you have any questions just email or call.pm me for both