rdawg

GUYS PLEASE HELP..... SENSORMATIC SPEEDOME

gUYS,

can anyone help me. I have a sensormatic speedome 2000 ptz camera. The problem is i have a picture and when i move the controller(up) and D(down) the dome JUST SPINS but when i move it side to side nothing happens. What could be the problem.

ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WEBSITE OR SOMEWHERE WHERE I CAN FIND A TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

tHANKS

Have you unplugged the dome from the J-box and rebooted it?

Reboot the controller/matrix?

Did the problem just start, or is it a new install with a problem?

Might want to try checking the American Dynamics support page, look for the manuals. I know the RS485 series had a very detailed packet for taking the entire dome apart and troubleshooting it. I can't imagine that the 2000 is much different from the RS485 dome.

gUYS,

can anyone help me. I have a sensormatic speedome 2000 ptz camera. The problem is i have a picture and when i move the controller(up) and D(down) the dome JUST SPINS but when i move it side to side nothing happens. What could be the problem.

ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WEBSITE OR SOMEWHERE WHERE I CAN FIND A TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

tHANKS

Hey bud, you can try what UMDRanger recommends and it could work.. it may have gotten into a state of the incoming data that it does not know what to do... Are there other domes tied to the same J-Box that work and if so, that rules out the possibility that J-Box may be faulty (most of the time you can change the driver and the receivers on the J-Box and you are good to go)...

However, I am almost positive that the problem is either the I/O board or the Slip-Ring... Out of both of the possibilities, I think the Slip-Ring stands 90% of the possibility that requires replacement.

How old is the dome? If you bought this around 2000, chances are still good that you can get Slip-Ring part to replace... Normal live cycle on most parts from American Dynamics is around 8 years for parts - sometimes

If you need additional help, please PM...

my sensormatic speedome 2000 has a picture it seems to zoom iris seems ok but i can't get it to move from side to side. Anyone know of a site to find any troubleshooting tips. I already looked at american dynamics and can't find this model anywhere. Thanks

I'm gonna hijack the thread with a few questions for you CCTV Supplies...

You seem to be very knowledgable and I am hoping you can provide some ideas.

On two of my RS485 speed domes I intermittantly get flickering, like the power is being shorted on the camera itself. I'll still be able to move the camera during these flickering outages, but the video zaps to a black screen then comes back. Seems to be worse now that its getting colder and windier. Problem was bad on one camera last winter, was fine all summer, and is now reappearing.

I have a few domes where the video cuts out when I move the camera, like there is a short in the video line from the camera to the PC board. In certain places/positions the video is fine, but when moved is bad and cuts out. Is there an easy fix for this like rewiring the line, or is this an indication of a greater problem.

Lastly, I have some domes without the PC board, is there a way to hotwire power to the camera assembly and tap into the ribbon cable and get video out? I'd love to be able to make stationary cameras with the 10x lenses out of these rather than keep them in my storage room collecting dust.

Yes, I know the preferred answer is: buy new. But alas, my store is the red headed step child of the Company, I'm lucky to get black and white 10 year old still cameras sent to me. haha.

my sensormatic speedome 2000 has a picture it seems to zoom iris seems ok but i can't get it to move from side to side. Anyone know of a site to find any troubleshooting tips. I already looked at american dynamics and can't find this model anywhere. Thanks

With this newer information, my stakes has increased to 95% that your Slip-Ring is damaged (this is a unit that has quite of few wires tied together that send and receive data based on your commands)... Over time, they get damaged and the only solution is to replace it. I think we may have few of these Slip-Rings in stock or I am sure we can get them... You also can contact any other American Dynamics rep and I am sure their will help...

American Dynamics will not put such info in their website.. never seen it before and I am sure it will not change anytime soon.. If you want, call their technical support... and I am sure that they will be focusing on the Slip-Ring and their recommendation will be to send it in for repairs... Dependent on your expertise on such repairs, you also can do it, as long as you have the Slip-Ring.

Let me see if I can answer these questions one at a time...

First, are you using (if you know) the SNET, RS485 or Manchester Code for communicating with these domes??

Please find the rest of the answers or the questions below.

I'm gonna hijack the thread with a few questions for you CCTV Supplies...

You seem to be very knowledgeable and I am hoping you can provide

some ideas.

Just know enough to be dangerous:D

On two of my RS485 speed domes I intermittantly get flickering, like the power is being shorted on the camera itself. I'll still be able to move the camera during these flickering outages, but the video zaps to a black screen then comes back. Seems to be worse now that its getting colder and windier. Problem was bad on one camera last winter, was fine all summer, and is now reappearing.

This above problem is caused by Slip Ring 99% of the time. The 1% possibility could be caused by inside cameras that you use are what was called 2 piece CCDs, which one was the camera and the second one was the imager and they were tied together by a small size ribbon cable... Now, there is a remote possibility that the ribbon cable either is damaged or loose.. Another remote possibility is that the cameras came with what is called SMT (Surface Mount) capacitors that overtime get damaged due to age (average life expectancy of any capacitor is around 5 years or less, unless if you use military grade caps. At those years, instead of buying newer cameras for these type of domes, we were replacing theses SMT caps and extending the life expectancy for at least another year or more.

I have a few domes where the video cuts out when I move the camera, like there is a short in the video line from the camera to the PC board. In certain places/positions the video is fine, but when moved is bad and cuts out. Is there an easy fix for this like rewiring the line, or is this an indication of a greater problem.

This is 100% caused by Slip Ring! As you are moving the dome, you can have control on PTZ function and video and at certain position, the video cable, which is part of the Slip Ring is open... Basically this one cable sometimes is making connections and sometimes does not. Unfortunately, you can not fix the cable, rather have to change the entire Slip Ring.

Lastly, I have some domes without the PC board, is there a way to hotwire power to the camera assembly and tap into the ribbon cable and get video out? I'd love to be able to make stationary cameras with the 10x lenses out of these rather than keep them in my storage room collecting dust.

Possible, but very unlikely... What is involves is to view the schematic to determine which leads are for the power and which leads are for video.. If you look at the leads, most of them are similar colors (do not ask me why)... so it will be difficult to determine which pair is for power and which is for video return...

Easier and simpler solution is to use them as Drones or take the internal guts out and install a fixed camera with a lens (you can not use its existing lens that came with the dome)... Use one of your composite cables, if already there, follow the color codes for the power and connect it to the camera (make sure it is a 24VAC camera) and the video return back to the J-Box... and you got yourself a decent solution.

Yes, I know the preferred answer is: buy new.

Not necessarily - You always can get the refurbished ones that are cheaper and will give you good results, but if you insist for the new, well...

But alas, my store is the red headed step child of the Company, I'm lucky to get black and white 10 year old still cameras sent to me. haha.

Thank you Sir. I am on RS-422 with a Sensor Vision system. Can you send me a PM with a quote for RA-486 Speed Dome sliprings if you carry them? Long shot, but I'd like to see if the company would buy replacement parts. Thanks.

Edit: Corrected Speed Dome model number.