rkm

I am looking for a little help with my first IP system.

Let me start off and say I have done a few analog systems hooked to DVR's. So I know a little about what is going on.

Background on the job.

I have a house that I am currently installing a Digilinks system in. For those of you that don't know what that is. It is a Music system that is IP based. We are sending music from a PC to 16 zones in a house. The owner of the house wired the hell out of it. Luckily he ran Cat5 to every location he could even think of. This guy was very smart. Now that we are doing this music system, he also wanted to do CCTV. I have cat5 and RG6 at multiple locations around the perimeter of the home. I figured since he is a tech guy. I would sell him an IP camera system. I could do analog, but the IP would inter-grate with the Digilinks system better. The server PC for the music will be located in the kitchen with a touch screen and blue tooth keyboard and mouse.

We had a server built. It is a 2.4 quad dual duo processor. I know I messed that name up sorry. It has a 320gig mirrored hard drive. also. This computer is strictly for media. It will be running 24/7 365. It will be hosting all the audio for the house, and also some recipes for the wife and Nannie. I was thinking of adding another hard drive to this PC for the NVR. Size wise. I haven't a clue. I need to figure out the cameras I will be using and what the require. Probably at least 1TB of storage.

One of my main concerns is bogging down the computer with the camera storage while trying to stream IP music from the PC. Is this going to be an issue?

As for cameras. I was thinking of going with AXIS. However, I think the Digilinks system will only use Panasonic for some reason. I would think any camera should work. But, the customer service probably won't help me with another brand. I am not sure. That I will have to look into.

Please help me here.

Please help me out here.

I do not specialize in IP cameras so I will let the other experts chime in.

I will however give you a few links. You are probably familiar with these, but I posted them for the other DIY who read this thread, and want to do something of their own.

http://www.channelvision.com/index/15/25

http://www.hometoys.com/article.php4?displayid=906

IP Cameras

http://www.corinex.com/web/docx.nsf/w/eng-corinex_powerline_ethernet_adapter

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters.aspx

CPCAM

http://www.cpcamnewyork.com/remote.htm

CPN620 X10 Transmitter

CPN621 X10 Receiver

CPN622 Two Channel Receiver

CPN626 Home Plug Ethernet Bridge

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/

I guess you mean NetStreams DigiLinX system. I am familiar with the technology, but not with DigiLinx, however, in reviewing their product specs, I would raise the following points/questions.

1. Yes, it appears that only the Panasonic cameras are mentioned, but it seems to me the system only supports real time viewing of the IP camera, which means you are going to need a DVR/NVR in addition to the DigiLinX setup. What is not clear is how you will link your DVR/NVR playback to the DigilinX system - probably as a video device looking like a DVD player, or similar?

2. Whether or not you can share the PC for both the DigiLinx controller and DVR/NVR depends on the number of cameras you have, resolution, frame rate, etc. Also depends on how many remote clients you will have viewing the video simultanously.

3. You will also need to know whether the owner plans to stream high definition video outbound from the server to multiple TVs. This could tie up the network and processor from being able to capture video especially if you are doing motion detection.

4. The TouchLinX controllers are based on embedded Windows CE. That is the same as what many airlines seems to use in the personal video systems. Works fine for what they are designed for, but don't expect them to have the full functionality of a true Windows based remote client.

Personally, I think you will be happier not trying to get your CCTV system to coexist on the same server with the DigiLinX, but rather, have your CCTV system output a quad view over to the DigiLinX with the front door, back door, etc and then let the owner access through a remote client if they want to do more.

Exactly, That is what I am looking for. All I want the DigiLinks to do is view a camera or 2 that is it.

The camera system will only have about 6 cameras total. I still have to look into the cameras.

ok. latest DigiLinX firmware supports plug-and-play integration with several models of Panasonic IP-based security cameras: the KX-HCM10, KX-HCM230, KX-HCM250, KX-HCM270 and the KX-HCM280

I saw that. Those cameras look to be indoor only. One is splash resistant. I need perimeter, so I need something outdoor. The reason they are using the Panasonic is. NetStreams has added their PTZ protocol in their software. So from a Touchlinks (keypad) you can see and control a camera. Not really needed in my situation.

I wonder if I can just make buttons on the Netstreams and route those buttons to an IP of a camera. Instead of pulling a web page it will pull the camera image. Sounds like this is the way to go if I can do it. That way I can use what ever camera I want.

I may not even worry about any of that and run the monitor out of the DVR/NVR to each screen in the house and put them on their own input. Who wants to look at a little screen keypad anyway to view a camera. Now if I had 15" touch pads put in the walls everywhere. I could see this feature being worth while.

OK, things have changed here. I am now at the point of adding a second PC instead of trying to get my media PC to do everything.

IP Computer is a 2.4 core 2duo processor

4GB total memory

Raid 5 partitioned 500GB c: drive

1.5 TB D drive

Intel graphics accelerator

This seems like a very nice setup for the money. I spoke with Axis and he helped me put together these specs. He wants me to record to the c: drive for a few days then archive to the D: for backup.

Axis has me using their dome. It is the 225FD. for my application. The only think I fear is that I am spending Good amounts of money on an IP camera and it isn't even 1.0 MP. The owner of the house wants real nice stuff. He isn't against spending money. I just don't want to know that I could have given him a better picture with an analog camera.

I really want something that is at least 1mp. I just don't like what I have to do with an Axis camera to get that. I don't want bread boxes around a multi million dollar home. They are going to want something that is not way obstructive like a bread box. A nice 1mp. IP dome would be great if I could find one from my distributor. Any ideas on other brands please shoot them to me.