mitt

Bad Video Signal

I have recently setup a system and I am having issues with the video quality. I recently setup 5 cameras in my area at one location. On all five cameras I get a bad signal. The pictures are not a crisp picture and have areas where the colors look to be bleeding into each other.

If anybody would like to take a look at a sample to better understand my problem you can access it at:

http://www.computercatalysts.net/test.avi

I have unhooked all cameras and plugged in one at a time and I get the same results. The shortest cable run is 30ft and the longest is 220ft.

The cable type is RG59 siamese.

The computer/dvr and power source are located in a trailer house closet with the closest object being a hot water heater.

Hard to tell but can you tell us the following

1/ What is the length of each Run

2/ What type of connectors are you using.

3/ Are the cameras in a housing at all and is there any electronics in the housing.

4/ What size is the power supply what is the load of each camera?

5/ 12V or 24V?

6/ Count the strands in the power part of the cable and tell us how many there are.

Mate hard to tell fromt eh footage but the camer looks like it is brocken, although it also looks like a power problem, I would guess that the first thing to do would be to check the voltage at the camera end I would check the cable, may just be poor power cable..(very few strands). I would then unplug each camera and plug them into a TV that definately works to eliminate the DVR, Place your hand on the power supply and see if it is searing hot (overloaded).

DVR Expert Australia,

Did you hear a scream? I think mitt just put his hand on that searing hot PSU

Sorry ..., it would be interesting to know what cameras are being used though.

It certainly sounds like it may be a voltage drop problem, but then if it was, you might expect to see a slight difference in the effect between the 30' and 220' cable runs.

The description actually sounds like some kind of attenuation problem, maybe double check that the cable is actually RG 59, and not some grotty cheapo import.

If any single camera is connected to a monitor with a short test lead, no other cameras powered up from the PSU, and the problem still persists ... send the cameras back. Unless of course, it's the monitor!!

Unfortunately, if I try and bring up the .avi test recording, I just get a blank window. Any chance of a JPEG, mitt?

Sample jpgs

http://www.computercatalysts.net/capture.jpg

http://www.computercatalysts.net/capture2.jpg

PSU is not hot. Or at least warm enough to feel without touching it

I am thinking a power problem. In a test run before installation the power pack was used to test each camera for working. That checked out. When hooked to the PSU I noticed this problem. The install site is located about one hour from me and I will be traveling there this week to run some more tests. I will keep you all posted if I find something out. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Hi mitt,

Thanks for the jpegs. Nice colours ... shame they're the wrong ones

I doubt that it's a (video) cable or attenuation problem. It could easily be a termination problem, although voltage drop is still a distinct possibility, as is earth loop hum.

When you do your tests, first up, disconnect all but one of the cameras (remove both video and power connections from the others), then check the video quality on the output socket of the single powered up camera.

If the picture is poor, (very carefully) measure the voltage going in to the camera. If it's low or borderline on the manufacturers specs. try testing the camera with an adjacent power pack and short lead. If the picture improves, it's a voltage problem, if it doesn't the camera will have to go back.

If the picture quality is good, keep the test monitor connected, then start to reconnect the power feeds (only) to each camera, and check the picture quality as each is reconnected.

If the picture degrades, again measure the voltage going in.

By the way, I'm assuming (I know I shouldn't) that all the cameras are powered from a single supply. If the voltages are o.k., then the last camera you connected may have an internal fault which is bringing the others down. Disconnect the suspect unit, and carry on with the remaining cameras.

If you have repowered all cameras, and the picture quality is ok on camera 1, start to check the picture quality on the remaining units.

If they all check out ok, then the next stage is to disconnect the camera video leads at the monitor / record end, connect the leads to each camera, and then systematically check the video quality from each camera, at the monitoring end.

If you have a suspect cable/s, it will show up a degraded picture. If so check the quality of your plug connections on that lead (one dodgy lead can affect the whole system when connected to a common item, such as a DVR, Multiplexer, etc).

If all the pictures check out ok, reconnect one to the DVR, and check the picture quality. If the quality is poor, make sure that any looping outputs are correctly terminated.

You mentioned that the monitoring equipment is in a trailer house, which makes me think there is a possibility it might be a slight earth loop problem - if the problem appears and you've exhausted all other possibilities, temporarily disconnect, and insulate away the earth lead in the DVR, Monitor, etc., mains leads.

If the problem has disappeared, then the mains supplies to the building and trailer are earthed at different points (potentials). Your options then are either, to fit video isolation transformers, or run an earth lead to each camera position from the monitoring end.

If the picture quality is okay on the first camera output, continue connecting one camera at a time, checking the quality of each picture as you go along.

Hopefully this should point you in the right direction, and I'm sure you will get it sorted. If you've already tried all this, apologies for the above, but hopefully others might find it useful.

Good luck!

I have reconnected the connections and now I get a picture looking dark with just a white outline of objects.

http://www.computercatalysts.net/capture3.jpg

I have yet to be able to test the power voltage at the end of the camera. I do know that the adaptors used where not as heavy of cable as the power cable running back to the PSU.

I'll attempt to keep all who have helped and are interested informed.

did you test the cameras first before you installed them at the location, if so did they work then. Also, are you testing the cameras direct to a monitor and with a seperate power supply?

The cameras were tested with the ac power pack before installation and worked as they should. The PSU was not tested, and I do not have a monitor to test with.

I have yet to be able to test the power voltage at the end of the camera. I do know that the adaptors used where not as heavy of cable as the power cable running back to the PSU.

adaptors?

are there connections anywhere at all or is it free of joins between DVR and camera, what is the longest run for the furthest camera?

I would fistly suggest it is a power issue, but you may have caused damage tot eh camera from the PSU, make sure when testing that you test one power cable and one video cable at a time, do not let any other power cables still be attached to the same PSU.

If you do nto have service monitor it would be wise to invest in one, a good trick to do if working on a budget is to get a cheap 12V Telly, this way using your 12V drill battery you can make a cable and plug then simply run this montior from your drill battery, meaning you can test while up a ladder etc.

Looks like either crook DVR power issue or zapped cams

One more thing, check your DVR softwrae is not set to wrong video standard, could be that you have set it to NTSC instead of PAL or visa versa, easiest way to check is with the small monitor, best to get one of these, best around is the Ganz as it has a loop through and amplification as well as B/W Colour switch and brightness and contrast settings... very handy piece of kit considering it runs on AAA Batteries

yeah I gots to get one of those ganz test monitors, they look good, and thats a neat trick, all this time ive been using an extension cord with a regular 9" monitor, im going to see if I can get a battery operated TV for now ..

Hi Mitt

Could be as dvr_expert_australia advises, been caught with similar problems before.

The first 2 images that you showed do look similar to images we get using PAL cameras if the unit is set up for NTSC.

You seem to have been given the best advice, to test each camera straight on a monitor first with a short coax & power lead.

Problem solved. I put all new ends on every connection to triple check and that fixed it. Always the little things. Thanks for all your responses and help.