rkm

Viewing DVR from web. I'm having issues.

I have been doing searches and even checked out the sticky on it in this forum. I can view from my LAN but not through the Internet.

I have a D-link router. I opened up the 2 ports and forwarded them to the DVR. My DVR requires 2 ports it is an old unit. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is my Routers (outside) address. All I find on my router is my 192. address. I don't know where to get the outside address. I don't even know the correct terminology for what I am asking.

I have a Comcast Cable modem. IT is a Motorola surfboard. From that I go to my D-Link out of the D-Link I hit my DVR and my Motorola's Vonage device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel that I am so close to figuring this out and it is killing me.

I dont know the router off hand, but should be able to find the ISP assigned IP address by going into the router setup and looking for WAN or Status, etc.

Otherwise just go here:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/ip/

Remember if you dont have a Static IP assigned by the ISP then your IP will change regularly. In that case you may want to look at DynDns.com or No-Ip.com.

Hello! Here are some quick tips!

ComCast High Speed Support

1 888 316 1619 (Denver Col)

Comcast customer service FAQS

http://www.comcast-ne.com/business/workplace-faq.html

Comcast High Speed Internet FAQS from DSL Reports.com

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/comcast

https://www.dyndns.com/account/index.html

IP Chicken

http://ipchicken.com/

Port Forward.com

http://portforward.com/

You need to find out if your router supports DDNS (dynamic DNS). It probably does - my Dlink DSL-604T does but I had to upgrade the firmware.

If you have a PC on the LAN running all the time you can alternatively use a windows DDNS client (or any other OS for that matter) to periodically report your internet IP and associate it with a subdomain such as yourname.dyndns.org

Either way, get a free account on dyndns.com and configure the router or PC with the same login details. If it still doesn't work try assigning the DVR's LAN IP to "DMZ."

Firstly check with your ISP that you have a static connection, then consider that if your DVR uses 2 ports that one might be for password verification, IE one of those ports might require two way access, some old routers let you decide which way the traffic goes.

Then check that your DVR default port hasnt changed, unlikely though if it works locally...to find your external IP simply visit

http://www.whatismyip.com[/url]

Ok sorry its been a busy week at work. I just started getting back to this old DVR issue. I tried the whatismyip.com thing. It told me the IP. I typed it into my browser and It looks like I hit my cable modem. It brings up a log in screen to Motorola. That is my cable modem, and also my vonage but the vonage is after the Dlink switch I have. Am I doing something wrong.

One more thing. Being I know my (outside IP) what is telling/forwarding me to the DVR. Shouldn't their be some kind of validation of where I am actually trying to get. IE I understand the internal network stuff a little now. The whole 192.0.0.0.0 and so on That is the address to the machines on the network. What does the modem IP have to do with it. Something has to tell the modem to point to the router then the router says ohh you are looking for port 80 and 1024 or what ever here you go. I feel that I am missing a little something. It sucks trying to type this out. I am very hands on. I need to see it. Visualizing isn't always there for me. I am a little hard headed.

Please fill me in on what I am misinterperating.

Thats where my sticky comes in handy now ..

You need to port forward the DVR ports in the router setup, so you can access it from the internet.

Ha Ha Ha.... Thats funny you chimed in here. you are the reason why I am here asking questions. Not in a bad way. I origonally used your sticky. I wasn't doing something right and my Dlink customer support pointed the finger at my modem company and my modem company pointed the finger at Dlink. So I came back to the forums to try to figure it out.

I went into my Dlink and opened up ports 80 and 1022 or what ever it was on the second one. They are opened and forwarded to the IP of the machine.

What I am not picturing is what does my IP to my cable modem have to do with it. That is the cable modems IP. What is telling it I actually want the IP of the DVR. Do I need to type in the modems IP with something else behind it to say you need to look for the ports that support the DVR address?

Basically you send a request to your IP address (assigned by the ISP) and a port (80 is default if left blank in the browser), the router then accepts the request (unless it is all locked down) and needs to then know what computer you want to goto, so it looks to see if there is a computer associated with that port .. if it finds one then you are forwarded to that Computer's IP and the specified port, otherwise you go nowhere.

Linksys is by far the easiest to setup IMO, Dlink, you may need to check for Virtual Servers, they call call them something different.

I see what you are calling a virtual server. DO I need to remove it? You can see my ports on the bottom.

Private IP Protocol Schedule

Virtual Server FTP 0.0.0.0 TCP 21/21 always

Virtual Server HTTP 0.0.0.0 TCP 80/80 always

Virtual Server HTTPS 0.0.0.0 TCP 443/443 always

Virtual Server DNS 0.0.0.0 UDP 53/53 always

Virtual Server SMTP 0.0.0.0 TCP 25/25 always

Virtual Server POP3 0.0.0.0 TCP 110/110 always

Virtual Server Telnet 0.0.0.0 TCP 23/23 always

IPSec 0.0.0.0 UDP 500/500 always

PPTP 0.0.0.0 TCP 1723/1723 always

NetMeeting 0.0.0.0 TCP 1720/1720 always

DCS-900/DCS-1000 0.0.0.0 TCP 80/80 always

DCS-2000 0.0.0.0 TCP 80/80 always

i2eye 0.0.0.0 TCP 1720/1720 always

DCS-2000/5300 0.0.0.0 TCP 800/800 always

DVR1 192.168.0.53 TCP 80/80 always

DVR1 192.168.0.53 TCP 1104/1104 always

80 is there twice, so need to remove 1 of them, such as the 0.0.0.0 one.

EDIT - its there 4 times, so delete the DCS ones also. In fact none of the 0.0.0.0 ones are serving any purpose so you could remove them all if wanted.

Did you ask your ISP whether they block port 80? Some of them do, and in that case you would need to change that port to another. If you are not sure, you can test port 80 here:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Click the proceed button to goto the test section, then enter 80 in the text box and click test custom port.

Also, if it is a Windows based DVR you need to add the ports into the Windows Firewall in the Control Panel, or disable the Firewall.

Edited by Guest

The port works. The site said it was stealth. I am guessing that is not good?

I removed the first port of 80 and tried my IP again. It takes me rite to my Motorola log in screen....

Remove all the ones with 80 except yours, or just change their ports to 81 for now.

Stealth means it is not open.

The router maybe using a different port also, like 8080.

Send me your IP and I can take a look, is the IP is different from the one you are on right now? (im a mod so I can see IPs )

I might be wrong...very tired...but whatever device has your connection to the telephone line for internet or cable, this is the device that holds your static internet IP, the switch may be blocking things, i would go for a router, rather than the modem and a switch, or is that what you have already...I know the DLINKS well if you want me to remote in...PS is the webserver enabled and can the DVR see the internet?

apparently his Vonage is taking over, he has that plugged in right after the modem, then the router is plugged into that, so thats the main problem (found out via PM). So he needs to figure out if he can either port forward from the vonage, or make it just a DMZ or something (dont know that model) or like the other vonage models, just plug the vonage into the router.

Thanks for the info...cctv_down_under

rory and I have been PMing back in forth. He was looking into my IP for me. As we were doing this I learned a valuable lesson. I figured out that I had my router behind my Vonage phone modem. So the IP that I though was me wasn't and I couldn't get past the modem. SO I unplugged everything re ran the cords cable modem-router-DVR-Vonage. I rechecked my IP it was different. I typed it in and BOOM there was my DVR on the world wide web.

Thanks rory and everyone else here on the forums. You guys are fantastic and their will be many more questions that I will have. Know learning the hard way. I should be able to do this on other customer sites now, or at least much closer to doing it. I am sure I will have to add the IP address to some firewalls to be allowed in.

Cheers,