moe

Help with Altronix Power Supply Selection

I've decided to go with an Altronix power supply. The problem is I went on their web site and the amount models to choose from is overwhelming to say the least.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. It's for a basic home system with some Panasonic cameras.

5-6 cameras

Mostly all 12 vdc, but I may possibly need 24v

Thank you.

With 5-6 camera's will need to use an 8 output box, if you use the 24vac then you will have to have step down transformers to 12vdc, or just use the 12vdc and hope you don't need 24vac. Also depends on wall mount, rack mount.

With 5-6 camera's will need to use an 8 output box, if you use the 24vac then you will have to have step down transformers to 12vdc, or just use the 12vdc and hope you don't need 24vac. Also depends on wall mount, rack mount.

Thanks for your fast response. It will be a wall mount. Also, I may need 24vac for only one camera, if I possibly need to use the optional heater for the outdoor panasonic WV-CW484.

If a camera says it works from 14F - 122F and we only have a few 14F or below days a year, do I need to use the optional heater?

EDIT:

I think I'm definitely going to go with the optional heater. So this means I will need 24vac for at least one of the cameras.

Should I purchase a 24vac Altronix power supply and step down the other 12vdc cameras? Also, how exactly do you "step down" the 24vac to 12vdc?

altv615dc8ul should do the job, if in need of 24vac for one camera then use a seperate single power supply for it. you will have to consider the length of time that the camera will be below its operating temp, better to be safe than sorry.

altv615dc8ul should do the job, if in need of 24vac for one camera then use a seperate single power supply for it. you will have to consider the length of time that the camera will be below its operating temp, better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks. One more thing...I ran 18 gauge wire (red/black) and the camera says if I'm using 24vac, I need to connect the ground wire. Did I run the wrong cable, or can I just ground to the junction box? Can 18 gauge handle 24vac?

12vdc only needs two wires, the ground is for the box and 120vac, and here is a link for 24vac to 12vdc if you upgrade to different cameras you may want to go with the 24vac power supply [edit by mod-store link removed]

Thats either or, 12VDC or 24VAC only.

In that case just get:

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=ALTV1224DC

And get a 24VAC Plugin Transformer for the single 24VAC camera. You should also be using an Automatic Voltage Regulator, by itself or built into a UPS.

I should use an Automatic Voltage Regulator on the stand alone 24VAC plugin transformer?

I would really like battery backup on these too. I'm wondering now if it would be more cost feasible to use all stand alone plugin transformers on one UPS.

Sorry bout the link was looking at the 24vac to 12vdc adapter and just stuck the link in, but if you ever want to upgrade to better camera, or if the runs are long, will be better off with 24vac.

How would I plug one of these into a UPS? Use lamp cord and screw on a plug adapter?

They come with a 120vac cord to plug into any wall outlet or ups.

Great, thanks!