anchorjoe

Dual monitor Setup Guidance

I have a client that is interested in setting up a dual monitor setup for a camera system (i.e. have the system setup to record to either a stand-alone DVR or PC based, and be able to see the camera images on a second monitor in another room). I am pretty sure that I could do a splitter of some kind that would take the images from a stand-alone DVR recorder/monitor and send it to another monitor, but I am not sure about a PC based system and getting the images to another monitor where the PC could go to sleep or power save mode. Is there a way with using a PC based system to keep the software running and visible on a second monitor without using a second PC in a network setup?? I appreciate any guidance that might be provided as I research the possibilities.. thanks.

It depends if you want independant control of each screen, for example a basic option is what is known as a PC VGA sharing device, it means that you get a 20Meter (thats usually the limit) VGA, Keyboard and Mouse Extender and a small box, you can then control at the source and control 20 Meters away...I just bought another one and didnt use it.

The basic use needed is to just see what the camera's see. There is no control required, so it is basically a video feed sharing setup...

Once the PC goes into standby, it is there until you wake it. So you would make sure the PC stays always on.

You can get LCD monitors that will sleep though. Then just get a Dual VGA (or DVI) Card and "Clone" the screen in the Video Adapter Setup. Run a VGA Extender cable to the other monitor in the next room.

Go with a web-based product and location won't matter for wiring or anything. You can easily then have dual monitors wherever and can even change on the fly if desired.