jmstech

What's recommended for wiring in high voltage environment?

Hello all!

I'm new here and I like what I see so far! So I have a question here and I hope can be answered by the many experienced people here!

I have to string up several cameras (in a heated Pelco case + PC based DVR) in a Saw Mill (500ft is the longest run). There is lots of high voltage equipment and most likely many EMI in the air. I also like to keep the cost down for my client so what is recommended for me to wire this up? Quad shielded cable? Or my last idea but costly... shielded cable in galvanized conduit? Any help here is always cherished!

JMS

102207_veneer_mill.jpg.d030e077975354f1ce09437b24b18cea.jpg

Use decent quality video RG59 cable and you will be fine up to 1,000' stretch and do not need any double shield or conduit runs... Make sure that the center conductor is at least 95% copper and it is shielded... I will also recommend using crimp BNC connectors rather than twist on... After all, this area is an industrial, so this way no dust or moisture can easily find itself into the connector...

However, my suggestion is to use power cable local to the cameras.. instead of stretching them to the length (no more than 250' max). By keeping the local power connection, then you can eliminate any issues pertinent to your question... Use 18/2 conductor with drain and connect the drain only one end (preferably at the power supply side). This way if there are any electrical noise or interference present, it will be grounded...

Many thanks CCTV_Supplier for the professional help! I will go for your recommendation and it makes total sense to me!!!!