sonorabill

Self ping problem

I have a second linksys wrt54g router in my RV. I use that router with my hughsnet satellite internet system. Looks like its time to drive to the RV storage place, fetch the second router and try it out. At least I feel like I'm getting somewhere now with this problem.

Thanks for all the help Rory, I'll let you know what happens.

The second linksys router acts just like the first one. I can not ping myself remotely.

Took the Linksys that was setup yesterday and hooked it to my wife's computer. The second Linksys to my computer by cable so the wifi wouldn't interfere. Then menu by menu set everything on the second to match what I had in the one yesterday. Seems I should have two routers that work the same.

But now I can't run Telnet and have it pass on either one. Telnet DVR IP or DVR IP:80 (1.10) returns a message about port 23. Don't know where that came from. Suppose they do run the same, but not the way I want. BTW I can ping the DVR and that works. Also the DVR can be viewed locally with the web browser as before.

Going through the menus like that, I came across under Administration Tab

Remote Management is disabled. Just wondering from the description if that needs to be enabled? What I'm thinking as far as remote ping is that I must have a setting that is wrong in the factory default, and needs to be something else. The firmware on both is the same ver 8.00.2. the latest.

The flakey Dlink DI524 can still get a remote ping working from wormly. I replaced the Dlink because it got to where it had to be rebooted several times a day to reconnect to the internet.

Success of sorts.

This morning re-installed my old flakey D-Link DI-524 and managed to do the port 80 forwarding. Actually was able for the first time to log on over the internet and view my cameras for a few seconds before the D-Link crashed itself again. Re-booted and downloaded the latest firmware, hoping that might fix the crashing. But looks like the poor flakey D-Link as met its maker with that firmware update.

So now my problem is I should buy a new router to run my DVR video server. I've had 3 D-Links DI-524's that never lasted more than a year or so before becoming so bad I replaced them. Somewhere along the line D-Link used a 5V power supply and 7.5V power supply. The 5V one only lasted weeks. So I'm not inclined to buy another D-Link.

I switched to Linksys WRT54G's for home and one for travel. They are both version 8. Which I find won't let me view the cameras from home over the internet. Sounds like earlier ones did work, but Linksys managed to improve them to non functional.

So ruling out D-Link as unreliable and Linksys as non-functional, what router should I be looking to buy and install. One that is both reliable & functional?

Contacted Linksys tech support about the problem I was having. Walked me through the router settings and changed the following:

1. disable port forwarding on port 80

2. enable DMZ and set my DVR 192 dot 168 dot one dot ten

3. Slow down the MTU manual 1300

Reset modem, router, computer

Went to my dyndns web page domain name and found the login. Logged in and video was clicking away as I watched.

Thanks Rory for all the help. And hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

BTW, telnet DVR ip address still doesn't work. So not sure the value of the telnet program.

going by the DNS info in the router, I would still put it down to your ISP. Anyway once it works.