Danny79

Just getting Started, But Jumped...

Hey everyone Im still researching this whole security camera system. Im taking my time but I jumped the gun on a few things. I got a little excited, So here is what I bought and I still need a few more things. I would really appreciate any feedback on this purchase, good or bad. For my DVR I got Speco DVR-4TN Series 4 Channel Triplex Digital Video Recorder with Network/DDNS Video Server with 300g HD. and a Dome Camera which I plan I putting on outside of my house. The Camera is: Speco HT-650IRVFHQ/W and HT-650IRVFHQ/S High Resolution Color Vandal Proof, Weatherproof Dome Camera w/IR LEDs. Sorry I just cut and pasted the title of what I got.

So, I'd like to know. Was that a good buy? Im planning on adding 3 more cameras later on. I just need the extras. Like I said before I dont know anything about how ot set up a scurity system. But Im researching every bit that I can. I would like a nice end security system as well. Any Suggestions?

As you said, you jumped the gun and already done the purchase...

There are always to get better equipment, but in general, Speco makes decent components...

The question that you should ask yourself, could you have purchased better and more cost effective equipment??

You already made the investment and stick with it... that will be my suggestion. By telling you that you could have purchased different and even better models will not answer this question.

Just feel good that you already have it and that your property will be protected..

Good luck!

I spent around $1k for both those things. What could I have bought that would be better at that price? I can always return it. Its in the mail as we speak. But kinda what im looking for is a dome camera that i can put on top of my house to view the surroundings day/night. Can anyone recommend a good one? As for length, like 100ft in distance at night. Thanks

Welcome to the site.

There are camera systems, and security systems. They are usually seperate systems, but they can be linked together.

For advice on what you need for each, you need to know what you want to protect and monitor.

Let me give a quick example.

When I lived in a bad area in an apartment, I had a solid door and was high off the ground with power lines near my windows, so I wasn't concerned about an alarm per say. But I had four cameras: one watching my car in the parking lot, one zoomed in on the parking lot entrance to get a vehicle description and license plate, one just inside my door in case someone broke in, GF forgot to lock the door, or Maintinance guy. And my last camera was in my office facing my closet where my important documents and firearms were.

When I build or buy a house, I will have a much larger system. Exterior cameras to watch window entry, cameras near the doors for face shots (let the kids see who is at the door without having to open it, when you are not home), garage, driveway, and probably a PTZ or two to watch the wildlife.

For an alarm, I would put magnetic door switches in the doors. I'm not entirely a huge fan of motion detectors, but a lot of people like them, and they are usually in an alarm install. For window entry you can choose glassbreak sensors (which detect the sound of breaking glass), or magnetic switches (which will cause alarm when the window is opened), or you can use both as if they break the window they may not open it and trip the switch.

Once you have your master plan in your head on what you want, then you are set to start detailed planning on your setup (what to buy, where from, how is the best way to install, etc). Like cars, everyone has their favorite brands, so keep that in mind when researching here. You will need to consider what works best for you.

K well here is what Im looking at. Ill be putting 3 cameras in front of the house and the dome on top to get a visual of whats going on outside. 1st camera would be front door to see whos at the door. 2nd would be left side of the house facing the driveway. 3rd would be on the right side to view any side entry and some of the front yard. For indoor Im not too worried YET. I bought a Liberty Safe Presidential 50. It will be very hard for them to break into that any time soon. But things get bad at night like gangsters and i hear gun shots near by and also I hear car passing by at 60mph on a residential street.

I want the dome camera to be able to catch whats going on up front. I want to be able to zoom and turn it to view something else as well. Btw dome cameras allow you to remotely turn and zoom in n out right? The one I bought I'm hoping it lets me turn it around with a control and zoom. I'm trying to enforce some speed bumps in my neighborhood but i need proof to send to the city how fast these idiots are going in front of a school zone. I live 2 blocks from an elementary and I swear its a highway.

Back to the subject though. I'm just basically looking to buy some nice cameras that will be good for night and day. I'm open to any type of suggestions. What cameras what brands etc.

I took a look at the HT-650IR VFHQ on the Speco web site and I didn’t see anything about it being a PTZ, whereby, one can control the camera remotely. However, the veri focal definitely has advantages. You can adjust the lens to 4 mm, or wide angle to watch over a fairly large field of view. You may also adjust to 9 mm for a much narrower field of view and anywhere between 4-9 mm. The veri focal lens allows the camera to work in a verity of scenarios therefore, in my opinion, a good choice.

As for the quality, I agree with what I think CCTV_Suppliers is saying, “You can always get better equipment, but in general, Speco makes decent components.â€

Thank you, thats what I'm looking for a PTZ. I will keep the one I bought for a spot i mentioned. But who can direct me to a good PTZ camera? I know they are pricey but Im hoping one of you guys who knows most of this can direct me to a really goos PTZ decent in price. I keep hearing you get what you pay so I dont want to go cheap either. Its going on top of a roof. so I need it to be weatherproof. Any Suggestions? So far I have found these:

Speco CVC-927PTZ Indoor/Outdoor Speed Dome Camera

Panasonic WVCW964

I kinda like the Panasonic better. Anyone know of others? Also a good control or do they come with one? What I mean by control, Is the control used to work the PTZ camera.

First I want to say that I'm not one of the pros I mentioned above. Yet, I do know from reading replies posted on the forum that the PTZ protocol has to match the controller in order to operate the PTZ camera. The question is, will the selected camera work with the equipment you have or what will you need to make it compatible with the equipment you already have? For example, check the protocol used with the DVR you bought and check the protocol used with the camera. Does the camera come with a control unit or not?

That is just a couple of several questions that need answers before spending tons of money on something that may cause big head aces. I find that just adding two or three extra cameras to cover the areas a PTZ can’t see, unless moved to that area is more cost effective. Plus, you have a continues view of the areas not covered by the PTZ at the moment.

As for which of the PTZ you mentioned, I would make the Panasonic my first choice after considering all the compatibility factors or if having a PTZ is necessary at all.

As another home owner looking to keep an eye on what's going on, let me chime in. As another post said, a PTZ really isn't a great idea for home. I have the Pany PTZ that you mentioned and if I had to do it again I would not buy it. The problem with a PTZ is that it isn't always looking where you want. Unless you are going to sit and monitor it, you are left to its own tracking ability to decide where to look.

I keep mine focused on the mailbox at the side walk. As people walk by, it will track them until they go out of view. This is good, but depending on where they go, it can end up pointed at a tree. Then the camera sees the leaves as motion and stays on the tree until the controller times out and sends it back to its home position.

You would be much better served by several cameras covering various choke points. The Pany CP484 is an outstanding camera.

As far as catching cars speeding, this is tough to do. You will need a camera that allows you to control the shutter speed so the cars are not blurry. Even if you get a good shot, the city isn't going to give anyone a ticket based on your video. And if you are hoping to get license plates, well, let's just say that is harder than you would believe. The first problem is that you can't see plates from more than about 30 degrees off-axis to a car. So, unless there is a turn in the road, or you can hide the camera right next to the side walk, you won't get a good view.

Your camera placement is a good start. In general, I like to cover choke points (doors, gates, parking spots) with aclose view and then use a wider view to see general activity. Is your utility panel outside? If so, you might want to cover that.

I have always had positive experiences with Speco so for, so I think you made quite a good buy.

Like Bike_rider I would also recommend the Pany CP484. A friend of mine recently bought those and is completely happy with them.

Good luck with your system!

Eduard

CCTV Information