tbip2001

Who makes the most reliable/robust dvr card??

Im new here guys, and as you may know from my other post, I am having trouble with my 16ch 100fps x-vision dvr card.

Im looking for the most reliable card on the market, but Im not sure where to start. Ive searched the net, and come up with a few names, but non of them give me confidence.

Im not after a huge number of features, it just need to provide a few basic things:

16ch

Min 2 FPS per cam when playing back

720 x 576 recording if it can, but could cope with 640 x 480

De-interlace

Ability to view over the net

Round the clock recording

As you can see, im not asking the earth, and any other bells and whilstles are really not needed.

Do well known compaines make these types of card? ie mitsubushi, bosch etc..

I know of geovision, but as far as I know there are alot of fakes, and the system is the same as my x-vision product?? IS that true?

Also in the uk, it seems hard to get hold of real geovision stuff??

So who makes the most proffesional and reliable card??

Thanks guys

Jim

tbip2001

Hi tbip:

Probably not the answer you want but here goes. I have never been a big fan of "cards" and honestly have never seen one that is adequately reliable (Compounded by the average PC hardware and operating system). I would recommend an actual DVR unit who's sole function is recording video. Most are quite dependable and yes, can be monitored remotely via the net. The cost of a "Good" PC and a "Good" card is comparable to an entry level multi channel DVR that will most likely give you better performance and reliability. Just keep in mind the fact that many companies bloat their FPS ratings per channel both on cards and recorders. Leave the PC to do what it does best, and get a DVR to do what it does best. I have used cards in the past and now use a DVR "Dedicated Unit". I learned my lesson, lol.

Hope this helps............Slim.

If you want a 16 channels (or more) system with resolution up to 720x480, you would need to buy PCI-E based capture cards, or a special motherboard. The standard PCI bandwidth is not sufficient for that high resolution at that many channels.

Another problem is recording. If you just need "2fps" and round-the-clock for each channel, it would be easy. A low-price dual-core CPU can do this.

But if you want very smooth (at least 25fps) recording for all 16 channels, one recommendation would be to buy one 8 channel PCI-based D1 hardware compression card, one PCI-E based software compression card (general support D1 resolution), and a quad-core CPU (for software compression). And then buy a software that can mix-using hybrid cards.

Find and old Aver NV5000DOM, just plug that stuff in and boot.

The other DOMs I don't know if I would trust their functionality.

As was mentioned, who designs, assembles and configures it makes more towards stabilty/instability in most cases. Especially with Windows based designs.

Hi Jim

Peter from Xvision here.

Just seen your posts regarding the probems with the Xvision card.

Please email me full details to contactus@x-vision.co.uk so I can help resolve any issues for you and find out what the cause is.

Also, your question about Geovision, Xvision cards are not the same as Geovision. Along time ago they used to be, however we have not used OEM Geovision Software and Cards for over 3 years now.

Best regards

Peter