Sign in to follow this  
ALIAS8579

siamese bundled together

Is there any problem assoc. with taping about 10' of 4 siamese cables (rg-59 w/single pair 18/2, copper shield) together tightly, in order to help me run the 4 wires down through a hole through the top plate in the attic and down through the wall to the opening in the wall to the dvr?

I was wondering if there would be some type of signal interferance and need to get the wires separated after feeding through wall.

Also, I am under the impression that 1' separation from 120V power lines is adequate?

Taping them together should not cause any problems. One foot spacing is the minimum recommended and you should try to keep the CCTV cables from running parallel to the power cables as much as possible. It is better to cross them at 90 degree angles than to run them parallel.

only thing I would recommend is that you taper the cables back and tape them approx. 3" apart. this will give you a single cable out front and followed by 3 others...makes going over and around things easier.

Try to avoid the taping of cable in a bundle, reason being if you ever have to pull a suspect failed line you will have to remove all of it to cut the bad run from the bundle within the wall, if you can, lay out your 10ft section, tape a small section at the end, hook to your fish take out the bends and then carefully pull and oversize your hole leave room to fill so you can easily service that section if you have to repull a bad line. More work but save you time later in the event of having to replace a single run within the finished wall Also may want to consider running a spare. Whenever work within finished walls always try to imagine having to revisit the run for repair or retrofit later.