acableconnection

what standalone does everyone like under $2,000

I am an AVTech DVR guy. I love the standalones for the residential market. I would really not want to have to go back, and try to fix a computer as the "teenager" tried to down load limewire, kazaa, P2P, and then go to all of the free game sites, and then hit the yellow bar everytime it said " would you like to enhance your web browsing experience"?

Then again I would not want to put in and entry level DVR at a corporate business with an in house IT dept!

Far as standalone I like EB1304Net which is great for residential market, since it's small and fan less unit and because most people end up putting the DVR in there bed room it make sense to have a unit that is low noise. Also, what I really like about that unit is that it has VGA port and build in web server where you can view the DVR right from the browser. Central management (CM3000) software which is free with the unit let you watch up to 16 AVerMedia standalone and/or PC based system and from remote CM or browser view you can't tell the difference between Standalone and PC based DVR.

If I have to pick between standalone or PC based then I would pick PC based any day, any time, as long as it's build and configured properly. If you purchased the DVR that is build by right technical company and configured properly you can get the best of both world standalone and embedded. PC based system can be locked as much if not more then standalone DVR and with PC based DVR you get a lot more options, feature and have a lot flexibilities when it comes to upgrade, etc.

Vendor I get my PC based DVR does a great job in building very strong, secure and stable AVerMedia based DVR for very good cost. They (my vendor) not only has over 8 years of DVR experience, but over 18 years of Computer/IT background and they employ very qualified tech with proper certifications like Microsoft Systems Engineer, MCT, A+ and more.... I am not trying to market my vendor but because of PC based DVRs build by unqualified individuals and companies who things that just slamming bunch of cheap computer parts or putting a DVR card in a cheap Dell desktop is enough to host/ run critical security application which in turn is giving bad name to PC based DVRs. Most people dont' realize that standalone DVR are also running on almost same hardware as PC based DVR except those hardware have a lot less resources and in most cases have old board, memory and processors and are very slow to operate.

Standalone are great for some application, but for the most part I would use PC based DVR. From my personal experience you can’t really build large, robust and powerful DVR solution with Standalone DVR.

FYI: I have sold many AVerDigi NV6480 PCI Express DVR card and they work great!

There cant possibly be a preference, as there is not 1 single DVR for every application.

I have to agree. The cost, application and what the customer is willing to pay seems to ultimately drive the final solution. Scorpion is correct in my experience- residential installs can be high maintenance and a stand-alone embedded or OEM built PC based DVR is the way to go (IMO).

Avermedia makes a good DVR, but they need to have individual FPS record settings for the SA6416, EB1304Net and EB1704H units!

Don't you miss the good old day when you had 8 VCRs stacked on a rack with three 8 hour tapes (24 hours of recording) per VCR with 7 days of history which meant you had 168 tapes to keep track of!

I miss the good old days!

LOL!!

Or you could be like Blockbuster Video with 30 tapes of time lapse for the month. (Look in the office the next time you go, and you will see a big box with all of the tapes on the managers desk! EGADS!