How does the weather affect your ability to install systems. Obviously nobody likes going up a ladder in the rain but does it get to a point where certain jobs cannot be done. Does business slow down over winter?

All comments appreciated

antdickens

I've never yet come across a client that would take the weather, as an excuse for not getting a job done.

I used to think that if you can cope with 'english' weather, you can cope with most things, but then hurricanes, dust storms, sweltering temperatures, arctic conditions, each bring their own challenges to others on this forum.

A couple of minor points which may be of interest; (european) Health and Safety legislation means that if conditions do present a risk to life and limb, the work should really be put on hold.

Also, whilst ladders are okay for low level access for maintenance, it isn't really acceptable now to use them for installations, particularly if it's a PTZ camera at height.

Cherry pickers and scaffold towers are all the rage these days.

In Los Angeles and in most of SoCal we usually suspend outdoor installations when it gets exceedingly cold or the weather turns exceptionally bad. Generally that means if the temperature drops below

60 deg, or if we have a mist type rain, or if the surf is up down at the beach. Oh, also earthquakes can be a problem if you are up on a ladder adjusting a camera.

If it is way too hot, like summer days with no clouds, sometimes depending on how long id have to stay out in the sub (like all day such as doing alarm beams), then I prefer to wait for a cloudy day, but since its rare here I can hardly ever pick and choose

Got sun stroke many times this summer, well, actually its still summer for us here, darn sun is a killer! I have a client with white walls and a white patio and a white roof, yah can barely see to walk with shades due to the glare..

As for rain, I generally just wait for the heavy rain to pass normally takes a half hour unless its a depression in the area, but cause of the sun and the heat I prefer to work in the rain if its not too heavy so the electronics cant get damaged.

Rory

(bahamas)

AVCONSULTING

Generally that means if the temperature drops below

60 deg, or if we have a mist type rain,

Wow, can I come and work for you!

If we followed those guidelines in the U.K., we'd probably only work 20 days a year! Not sure I fancy the earthquakes though.

Rory, can you send some warm rain over, winters a comin'.

That is why SoCal is the laid back capital of the world. Comes surf time and you can't find any contractors unless you are at the beach. The phrase "Chill Out" doesn't always refer to cold weather around here.

AV you think SoCal is laid back, you need to see the Bahamas .... noone here cares about anything, average speed is 10mph..