kmb997

DSL modem

I'm new to cctv and I'm trying to get most things figured out before I buy anything. I have AT&T DSL with a Netopia modem. It has one ethernet, one usb, and one dsl plug on the back. Can I use this to view video over the internet or do I have to buy a router? I haven't purchased a DVR, yet, but it will most likely be a standalone.

Thanks

you'll need to do bridge for the DSL modem to bypass it's annoying firewall option. Call the ISP and ask how you forward a port with their modem. if you'll get the right person on the line you'll have it done in 10 minutes. or just find the manual

Or open port 88- then set your web port on the dvr to 88 also,

Port forward rules are easy dependant on the modem/router,

You will require a router if your modem hasnt one built in, and you have one Ethernet port and more then one pc/device, checkout portforward.com also for most models,

My modem says this: router with a built in PPPoE client that eliminates the need for any connection software on the PC and networking is as easy as adding a hub or switch.

Will I need to setup a network with a hub or switch or can I just port forward using the usb?

When I looked at the page you referred to, the modem (Netopia 2241N) I have is also a router. That's why I asked how to make the connection from the modem to the dvr? I guess I will need a hub or a switch? I'm trying to go without getting a wireless router.

Thanks

How many devices do you have?

One DVR.

One computer, or do you have more?

If you only have the DVR, and nothing else then you will not need any additional gear.

I would recommend getting a static IP. If this is for a residence then you may have to get a business/commercial account.

If you are only hooking up the DVR then you would use an ethernet cable to hook up the DVR to your netopia.

You will have to find out what IP address is available to you, and that is what you will be putting in to the DVR. Once the IP address is put in to the DVR, and you have set up port fowarding then you shoud be able to see your videos from the internet right away.

Will the netopia be next to the DVR, or will you have to run wiring to go from the netopia to where the DVR is going to be located?

Have you tried downloading a manual from my webpage so that you can read about setting up a DVR on line? This will give you a starting point for reference, while you are deciding on what DVR to purchase.

Scorpion, I have one computer, the netopia, and will get a dvr soon. I only have one ethernet connection on the netopia and one ethernet on my computer. Also, are there any security issues with having videos on the internet?

Yes, you will need to get a router so that you can hook up two devices to your modem.

As to security on the internet.

If you have cameras on the outside of your house then I would not be to concerned about security.

If they were installed in a bank then I would be very concerned about security.

You can add layers of security.

You can purchase a product called sonicwall

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/UTM_Firewall_VPN.html

You can set up a password so that someone has to log in to get through your sonicwall firewall. If they do not have the password then they are left outside. Once you get past the firewall, then you still have to log in to your dvr.

Make the passwords as difficult as possible. Simple passwords, are simple to "crack".

For the general public, then I am not to concerned about someone "busting" in.

There is probable one in 1000 that can crack everypassword, and hack in to any site they wish to. I would not be able to protect myself from such an individual. Why would they bust in to my DVR if they were that talented?? If they are that talented then they are going to want some serious cash. They would be wasting their time with me. I think they would go after a financial institution, or something before they would waste their time with me.

Your security is a variable. How much are you protecting? How much are you willing to protect it? If you have a million dollars cash under your bed then I would tell you not to trust anyone!! Your own private guards may do you in before a "stranger" on the internet would.

If security is of the essence then I would seek out ways to have a DVR that sends video out that is encrypted. I know they have them, but I have never seen one.

Will a hub or switch do the same as a router? If I do get a router, the connection should go from the wall, to the router, to the netopia and to dvr or which way?

Thanks for the help.

Wall to the modem, then to the router, (or switch, and not a hub), and then the computer will plug in to the router, (or switch), and the DVR will also plug in to the router, (or switch).

Perhaps you may value hiring a network technition? You may contact ATT/Bell south to see if they provide routers for a monthly fee. If so then you may have them hook everything up when you request an appointment for them to come out.

Do you look at this page?

http://scorpiontheater.com/videonetworkingwithavtech.aspx

Scorpion, I've built and setup a couple of computers, but never any with networking or routers. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out with help from this forum. I don't want wireless so I'm looking for a good wired router right now. Any suggestions on one that will not affect my speed and that will be easy to configure with a dvr?

I have seen many brands used by my customers.

Netgear

Linksys

D link

and others.

I would imagine a comercial unit would be better than a residential model.

what do you think?