Mactrekr

Speeddome 2000 Control over IP

Hi Ya'll,

New to the forum, I've got 5 of these speedome 2000 monsters, I'm attempting to integrate them into our IP based camera network, using an IP Video server. The server has the ability to output data to control the camera functions in a variety of protocols, including Pelco-D, in both RS232 and RS485 format. I have the serial port of the IP server connected via TX+, TX-, RX+ & RX- but I can't seem to get the camera to respond. I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time or is it actually possible to control these things with this type of setup? Also, the IP Server has the option of building a custom control command set. I really only need to control Pan, Tilt, Zoom, and Focus, but other functions would be nice as well. Any help out there? Anyone been able to do this? We're a non-profit, and these cameras were donated, it would be a great service if someone could help me figure out this system.

Regards,

Mac

The Speeddome 2000 won't accept Pelco commands. It will accept American Dynamics/Sensormatic RS-422, and if you have the unicard, will accept Sensornet data. Try those protocols.

However, if that doesn't work, you likely can still use them! You just need a code converter. This device takes all the data and changes it from say Pelco-D RS485 into Sensormatic RS422.

Sennetech creates them, or someone here may be able to sell you one. Be advised these are not cheap, but it is cheaper than one new PTZ. If I had 5 free PTZs, I'd find a way to get the converter and use them.

UMDRanger is correct... and I can add some additional info... Dependent which version of firmware that you have and the I/O board, it may have the early version of the support of Pelco D protocol (Coaxitron technology)... They added this feature around year 2000, so it is dependent if your domes have the newer firmware and I/O board...

Sennetech makes many translators or data converters and they work... the part that you need to decide which protocol that you must use and what is your controlling mechanism... It is unclear what your front end control equipment is, so be careful not to order the wrong item.

With little more tinkering, you should be able to communicate with this dome's RS422 or RS485 ports... Make sure you have the necessary cables and test... Very difficult to tell you how to do it if the back end control equipment is not identified.

The controller is a video over internet protocol server that has serial rs232/rs485 capabilities. I have a pdf document for it, but i can't post a link here. Message me if you'd like more info. the server is a vs3102.

Mac