guardian

webcam port settings

Hello all, I'm a serious noob here and I'm trying to get my home computer set up to watch my house via webcam while I'm at work but I'm lacking in the "port settings" area. I can go online at home and use the webcam remote viewer to view all my cams outside but I can't use it on any other computer yet due to IP address issues, port settings, etc. I'm not using a router at the house either. The user manual isn't at all specific on the details. How do I set up the webcam? Thanks for any help.

You will need to forward port 3550 and 3650 to your cctv server if you are using the tcp multiview or ports 4550 5550 and 8080 if you are using IE and want to use it to view the cameras. You might be able to do this in your dsl or cable modem if you are not using a router.

From work, you will need to know your ip address, then when you are at work type in http://your.ip.address:8080, but be careful as you are opening up port 8080 for everyone else to sniff around. Assuming you are using winxp, make sure you have the firewall on (but allowing port 8080 access) and all updates applied.

I'm a little paranoid when opening direct ports, especially on a modem, so I personally would not take this approach. Someone else may advise otherwise, or have other suggestions.

I myself tunnel through my firewall to access the ports.

Might be better to use a router, although I'm not sure how much more secure it will be.

Just a note, port 80 will be the default HTTP port so 8080 as mentioned above would be changing it in the Webcam server settings as well, which is recommended. I normally just use 81 or 82 though as the routers normally use 8080, although those can also be changed in most cases, so its up to you as to which one you use.

Also see this general thread about setting up a DVR for remote viewing:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3287

I also suggest using TCP/IP Port Filtering under the TCP/IP advanced setting. Add the ports in there as well as the firewall and router.

There wont be anything at the other end of those ports for hackers to really effect, but if you are really worried about security, dont put it online at all.