MadMax

Geovision in a rack server?

Hi, i've been given the task of sorting out cctv coverage at our new premisies and have been looking into the geovision DVR cards.

because i've got a rack with plenty of extra capacity i was wondering if a high end geovision (800, 900, or 1000 with 16 inputs) would work in a rackmount server, such as a dell with either single or dual xeon's?

its a large site and if my boss wants the coverage he suggested before his holidays, i'll be needing upwards of 40 cameras, more than likely all fixed.

the servers wouldn't be used for anything other than recording the cctv footage and possibly dishing it out to remote monitoring for the directors etc...

I take it from most of the sites i've been reading, by its absense, that i can only have one geovision card per system? most of these sites have said that you can only use pentium 4's though so i'm highly sceptical of it.

if its not the case, whats the maximum i can get away with without system degredation with motion detection etc... ??

storage shouldn't be a problem with a shared SCSI/sata hdd bank

thanks

Matt

From what I've been reading it looks like the other CPU's would be alright, just not the VIA based chipsets. But the one capture card per machine is a limitation of the PCI bus.

ok thats fair enough, do you know of anybody that has tried a server with a geovision card then?

servers have "unusual" chipsets, the pci bus to most ports supports normal pci cards but they also support 64bit 66Mhz cards and 64bit 33mhz cards.

i'll have a look to see if i can find any information on HINT chipset compatablity with server chipsets.

i would imagine that would be the biggest issue, The Hint controller regulates the ouput to the PCi bus, this si why when it speaks to north bridge you can have issues with VIA etc, it may be a suck it and see situation.

Look at the Witness DVR cards. Because of the phillips chipset, they work in both intel and amd based chipsets.