LongHill

Web based PTZ camera controller

I am new to CCTV, so please forgive my non-technical terminology.

Our town has two cameras in our meeting room that are on motorized mounts and hardwired to a switcher and camera controller. The camera controller provides ptz and focus.

The video from the switcher goes to our digital video server for archiving and live broadcast. We are fine with the recording system and cameras.

We would like to replace the camera controller and switcher with a unit that can be controlled over the LAN (and web). Our video committee is volunteer based and being able to remotely monitor and control the system from home will certainly attract more volunteers. Does such a controller exist?

Thank you in advance.

The simple answer to your question is "yes"...

However, what will help to make accurate assessment is for you to provide details of your setup... The make and the models of your motorized camera equipment, the camera controller, your digital video server, etc..

This way you can have several options that could work, rather just one..

There are no "fix all" or generic solutions that anyone can recommend that will work without clear understanding of the components of your system.

Please let us know and I am sure there will be others who will jump in...

Thank you for the reply. We have two Hitachi HV-D30 cameras on PTZ mounts. I cannot tell who makes the mounts. The camera controller is an Eagle PT-C-50. We would like a the functionality of the Eagle in a remote interface available via the LAN or Web.

Take care.

LHCameraSetup.thumb.jpg.21fbbdaf1509b8e18858045327174db8.jpg

I am not familiar with this product line, but took the liberty to do some research...

Your controller has DB-9 pin connector on rear allows for easy

connection of RS-485 control lines... but that is where it stops stating how...

However, little more research on their website here: http://www.eaglepantilt.com/PDFs/Rem%20PT%20w%20port%20server.pdf clearly shows how to do it... as follows:

In this same url above, it explains the following:

PC’s running Windows with Eagle™ control software or user developed software. This could also be an Eagle™ controller with another SitePlayer Telnet converter and a RS232 to RS-485 converter as well.

Looks like all you have to do is to contact them and ask for their Eagle control software and that is all... I am sure they will also give you the RS485 wiring diagram that will show how to connect your controller.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your assistance. I contacted Eagle and they went over the software solution you mention. We are looking for something a little more advanced: control two cameras and also preview the cameras. Eagle's software only provides control. They mentioned Axis Servers as a possible solution but I was unable to find anything that allows control (via rs485) and camera preview on their web site.

Thank you for your assistance. I contacted Eagle and they went over the software solution you mention. We are looking for something a little more advanced: control two cameras and also preview the cameras. Eagle's software only provides control. They mentioned Axis Servers as a possible solution but I was unable to find anything that allows control (via rs485) and camera preview on their web site.

Are the Eagle items proprietary to the Eagle software? If not, will it operate on a standard protocol like Pelco or Lilin? If it isn't proprietary then look at Vivotek to see if you could use their VS7100 units.

Thanks,

John

Thank for the information! The VS2403 model seem to provide all the function we need. We just need to see how their software controls the PTZ.

Take care.