ccttvv

AVTech 760 - iMac (WinXP)

Firstly I've looked everywhere on the forum for an answer but cannot find anything easier to follow than a 'Dummies' guide, so apologies if it's staring me in the face.

Secondly, I am a Mac guy and know very little about PCs especially networking.

I have an AVTech 760 and I am trying to hook it up to my Intel iMac (running WinXP via Parallels)

AVT - TV works fine so I know the box isn't dead!

BUT how do I connect the AVT to my computer?

Eventually I want to connect through a router but first I'm trying to connect directly, just to get everything working, via Ethernet.

Video Server E is what I am using (version 1.0.6.6) but it won't let me log in to the AVTech.

I checked through WinXP but could only find an IP of 010.211.055.003, (never seen one like that before) so I, changed the one on the AVT and then tried this in Video Server E but nothing. I have looked around WinXP for a different IP but cannot find anything anywhere.

Can anybody, in plain as you can english, explain what/ where and how I can connect the AVTech 760 to Video Server E.

Better still, if anyone knows of mac software that does the same job, please do let me know.

I appreciate your help.

If you are connected from the computer to the AVTech DVR directly only using an ethernet cable then you are in full control of how you can see it.

As I am not a computer guru please take what I say with a little grain of salt or modify what I say where you see a mistake.

Go to your AVT DVR, and punch in an IP number that you want to use for a test. How about 192.168.1.10?

Go to your computer, and go to control panel, internet connections, local area connections, and click twice on local area connections to bring up status, click on properties, click on “INTERNET PROTOCAL (TCP/IP)â€

I keep trying to reply to this but for some reason keep getting locked out.

In short, no, it didn't work.

if I can post what I originally posted I'll go it things a bit deeper.

Let's see if this works:

The cable is fine as I have tested it

The light on the back of the dvr comes on, even flickers slightly when trying to connect but in general, still no luck.

i have a screengrab of the settings that I can send if anyone thinks it may help - can'r post it here though because of 'the rules'!

The reason your DVR, and your Laptop are not working together is because you will need to use a cross over cable.

I know you know what this is, but for the viewers of this post who may not be aware of it I will explain.

There is a transmit, and a receive on the DVR, and there is a transmit, and a receive on a computer.

If you take an ethernet cable, and connect it to a DVR, and a computer directly with only the wire, then it will be "wired" wrong. The receive will be talking to the other device's receive, and the transmit will be talking to the other device's transmit.

To avoid this problem you have to use a cross over cable. Now the transmit of each device is talking to the receiver of the other device, and the receiver is listening to the other device's transmit.

Now your DVR, and laptop (computer) should work!

Ah. I told you I knew nothing!!

I totally get you now.

I was trying to tread carefully and make sure everything worked perfectly before moving to the next step.

So instead of using the ethernet cable straight, I should skip to the bit where I connect the dvr to the machine using my netgear router?

That should work, right?

I would use a cross over cable to verify that the DVR works.

The router may confuse you during trouble shooting.