dubwiser

DVR for multi-site remote connectivity

Right now I'm using SVR 1630's at 4 sites. Group mode connection is very stable. This DVR is solid, but I need a unit (provided I have the bandwidth at our CO) that will connect 100+ sites in one instance of the CMS without a hitch???? Samsung Techwin has assured me this is possible with the SVR's. I dunno.........talk is cheap.

They're supposedly releasing a 64 ch. version of the CMS. This is exactly what I need in a stand-alone unit and the SVR line is affordable enough to be a feasible option. I am open to suggestions though. IP gear is not an option.

Anyone have experience with this kind of a set-up?

Thanks.

We do quite a bit of multisite connection with various dvr and their accompanied CMS. Recently started on a new series of DVR with H.264 compression. Performance quite good for its price. Downside is the searching, u can only search 1 cam at a time.

But good pt's over a 256kbps upstream internet connection at the DVR site, and a 1.5 mbps downstream on the client side, we are able to connect to 6 sites, with 4 cameras each, total of 24 cameras, viewing almost live streaming from all the cameras. I say almost due to the sometimes certain hic in the internet connection bandwidth causing some jerkiness. But overall, at the price, comparing to other DVR, it does a great job at multisite remote live viewing.

The Eclipse SAVIX unit is great for that sort of thing. You can connect 16 16-channel DVRs to have 256 cameras on the CMS simultaneously. It is MPEG4, but has flawless live streaming and amazing PDA Windows Mobile steaming. PM for more info.

Their Nubix series stand alone DVRs are coming out with (maybe already available) a 64ch CMS client software.

Good info. Im coming to find that it's not necessarily bandwidth that limits fps stream on the DVR side. Instead it's how a DVR handles the available bandwidth.

For example I have a Nuvico DV4 on a T-1 streaming up at a steady 1.5M. Im getting 15 FPS but only using single camera view. All 16 cams stream at somewhere around 2.8 fps.

On an SVR-1630 I have 4 sites connected simultaneously (all on DSL circuits with between 384 - 768kbps max. upload) streaming all 16 cameras available in the CMS at somewhere around 7.5 fps.

Saying that, my opinion is the SVR is a far superior unit to the (overrated) DV4. Also, the DV4 uses MPEG4 and looks quite pixelated. The SVR uses Wavelet compression which produces a softer and more useable image.

thanks