highspeedphysics

Building PC - Motherboard suggestions?

I'm building my own PC based DVR with a Geovision 1480 card. I'd like to hear it from anyone as far as what's the latest motherboard, cpu and ram to use? I did some looking around and the last guy who described his build with Geo is about 6 months old.

Thanks!

MSI or Gigabyte Motherboards (MSI for the less expensive systems).

P4 3.0 CPUs actually running rather cool now, surprised actually, just built one and it was hovering around 22 celcius, though it is rather cool this week down here, still, seems they cool better plus they have speedstep which doesnt even seem to be able to be disabled using power schemes.

Anyway, on the cheap, an MSI 945GCM5-F V2, Intel Pentium 4 631 3.0Ghz (hovers around 2350+- using SpeedStep), 1GB DDR2-667 Kingston Ram.

Using the same mobo you could do a Core 2 Duo for just a little bit more .. Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz, 800FSB, 2MB L2 Cache, then use 2GB of DDR2-667 dual channel Kingston Ram.

Those would be the cheaper systems that would work fine. The Core 2 Duo would be best as should cool better.

For the more higher end systems:

If needing Micro ATX could use the Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 mobo, Corsair XMS2 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) Dual Channel Memory, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz.

Video Cards: X1550 or better, can be Sapphire or other, doesnt need to be ATI. Ive used both one after the other, Brand name ATI and then Sapphire, and I have stuck with the Sapphire's (or other) since then, as its much less expensive and just as good quality video and speed. Up to you though, on the more expensive units you may just like the ATI brand for the name.

Onboard Video also works fine for at least the 1120, but would use the PCI-e card with DVI for the 1480.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R works fine for a full atx mobo, there are a ton of other mobos that would work also though.

Ive had the 1480 on a P4 3.0 with 1GB of DDR Ram going for a couple years now, so whatever hardware we use now, its going to be better either way (well so long as its not a celeron or via CPU!)

See the last post on this thread regarding issues with onboard audio chips:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11288

How about a good rack mount chassis case and extra fan recommendations?

If I understand correctly, PTZ cameras can be controlled thru Geovision but it requires an adapter? How does that work and what do I need to get 4 PTZs hooked up with Geovision controlling it.

I currently have two spare dell optiplex 620s with p4 HT. Unfortunately the form factor is a desktop and not minitower so there is a problem with the smaller PCI slot.