tech126

avc760 runs hot

Is it normal for these DVR's to run warm/hot?? It's hot to the touch on the top. I noticed a fan port at the rear of the DVR but no fan..Is that normal?? Could I install a fan to be on the safe side. Did anyone install a fan themselves??I noticed while peering though the fan port that there was a open connector possibly a fan power connector??I just don't want it to heat up.

thanks in advance.

Not sure about those Avtechs', but my Avermedias also have a "punch slot" for an internal fan, but have none wired in. There is a small 2-pin Molex-type connector on the power supply, and after taking my Fluke meter to measure the voltage, it is reading 12vdc. I did attach a small fan (12vdc) in a couple of my Avermedias. In the field, I like to build my own wire-type shelf to rest them on, along with a UPS unit. The wire shelf allows better air circulation. A couple of years ago, I had bought an entire case (100) of these small (60mm) 12vdc fans , for $30 on Ebay. I use them all the time, in certain projects that I can't get the 120mm fans in.

The AVtech runs "hot" because they have no idea how to design enclosure cooling, and I say that as someone who does this sort of engineering as part of my job.

I was getting occasional disk problems until I changed the cooling arrangement on my 782, which already had a small fan but runs uncomfortably hot to the touch.

First I installed a fan directly in the hard disk tray by cutting a hole in the middle and gluing it to the underside. It's also right over the DVR CPU.

I then tried changing the enclosure fan for a double-thick version, but that didn't help much.

Currently I have a 4" blower installed where the CD drive was, huge overkill but I'm confident the life and reliability will be improved - plus I can now run it in a closed closet and it's been happy for months.

I would have to agree with Kiwi.

The more you can do to add "cooling" to your DVR the better.

I have noticed that most 4 channel DVRs run the same as a car in first gear on the interstate!

In some cases I have added heatsinks, and/or fans to DVRs.

It tortures me to see where people have put their DVRs on top of their stack of entertainment gear. I love to watch a DVR "bake" on top of an receiver/amplifier!!

I have "torched" a DVR once. I placed it in a hidden niche built in to a wall on the back part of a pantry. It was hidden behind the wall with paper towel, and other food staples on the shelves.

I had set it on it side. I thought the fans were towards the upside, when in fact I set the DVR directly on to the fans. POOF!

OOOPS! Faux Pax!

Thanks for the sugggestions..

I have the dvr hidden in a entertainment center but it has alot of space around it..I'm just concerned that it'll run hot and just fry it..I'm looking for a fan to mount in the back just for some air flow..I'll post pics as soon as I solve it..

Thanks again..

That's a really good fan, bearing wise. Whether it will do the job remains to be seen. Usually the grill cut in the enclosure is very restrictive and will cut the flow by half.

Still, going from no fan to one small fan is a big difference.

Thats the same fan that I just purchased today and installed. It flows enough but was debating whether I should install the shroud or not.

The DVR is now warm to the touch and not hot anymore..

Thanks peeps for the help!!