sbbamafan

Mounting Pole - Wood or Galvanized

I have a client that wants to cameras mounted on a pole. It will be about 12' above the ground. Obviously a 4x4 wood post can twist and warp and generally not look very good. I am concerned over attracting lightening for a metal pole. What do you think? IF metal what can I do to protect the cameras?

Nothing "attracts" lightning. Lightning occurs on too large of a scale to be influenced with small objects on the ground, metal objects, poles etc. A storms location alone determines where lightning will hit the ground. If you are going to use a pole be it metal or wood, use safe wire method... note that electrical wiring (coax/UTP/etc) can provide a path for lightning to enter an enclosed structure, ground (ground block) as close to the point of entry as possible and the grounding conductor should be no longer than 20 feet as well any surge supressor device.I do a lot of timber mounted cctv (4x4 6x6 and 8x8 for gated entry arch builds) Pressure treated and concrete footing. Using plastic may resolve some visual or pic related issues but If lightning hits your pole more than likely your camera will be destroyed. You can reduce the damage to your system by follwing safe wire practice If you are going to use your "pole" for a common chase internally, shared pwr for lights then that is differnt discussion.

Mount to plastic or wood blocks on the metal pole

Smart move! Best thing I've come up with so far is I get whichever mount I'm using on the pole (typically a band clamp mount) and I'll try to find a very thin sheet of rubber and wrap it around the pole where the bracket touches. Another option would be uhm... use some rubber washers or maybe grommets to ensure that the metal from the camera is not touching the metal of the pole.

Thanks,

John

There are many MYTHS bout lightning and protection. I think its important to direct this info to DIYs that read this topic and are considering pole mounted cameras rather than to pros who already have a handle on this. The original topic posted - Wood or Galvanized - regarding "attracting" lightning. SAFETY- everything can be a conductor,if you put enough voltage to just about anything its electrons will move, even dirty sneakers... granted metal is a better conductor, provides a better path however since this energy is RF (Radio Frequency) in nature, it can travel over the surface of a substance (aka skin effect) and traditional non-conductors can provide a convenient path in the absence of metal. A camera pole and its composition be it wood or metal has virtually nothing to affect it being struck or "attract". There are differnt stats on this but The AVERAGE lightning bolt carries aprox 30,000 amps of charge, has 100 million volts of electric potential or more, about 50,000°F. and can burn through ANY insulator (destroyed ceramic insulators on power lines are proof to that) Rubber as a electric insulator is only effective to a limited degree and isolation of metal to metal contact regarding outdoor camera pole work is just one part of the overall safe required mechanical and wire method for proper installation. Sometimes I read on the forum how people want to stick a pole in the ground and hang a cam, sometimes with lack of understanding other important issues relating to outdoor electrical and wet location work. Ive installed cams on poles wood & metal that were involved with lighting some were toast others survived. Isolate...yes, isolating a camera can help resolve signal issues and AID in the event of lightning limiting destructive path to cam but wire method, cable/wire placement, entry, protection both ends etc. all will REDUCE risk of damage, not a guarantee. Running circuits, and a true understanding of grounding & bonding, often not understood or improperly used (specific to type of application) and Outdoor (all voltage) with connects to equipment/panels within a dwelling, is a serious undertaking and if done incorrect can be a danger and threat to not only property but personal injury. A seasoned lineman and friend I worked with years ago had a motto to this day I never forgot, "whatever looks safe....check again". We live in a "Plug and Play" era, and this concept has a tendency to overlap into electrical devices that are installed by DIYs with limited knowledge of basic electrical principles and safety. Selling products and all the eye candy, the latest and greatest really mean nothing if installed improperly. I am not saying all work has to be done by a "professional" but when in doubt its a intelligent move not to perform electrical work beyond the limit of ones skills.

granted metal is a better conductor, provides a better path however since this energy is RF (Radio Frequency) in nature, it can travel over the surface of a substance (aka skin effect) and traditional non-conductors can provide a convenient path in the absence of metal.

Lightning is actually a discharge of direct current, if I'm reading correctly. If the pole is metal it's not a bad idea to ground it with a rod. Antenna towers are typically grounded as example. Good electrical bonding at the equipment (rack) location is important. Most installers rely the grounding bonds in the power supplies or where the coaxial cables terminate at the DVRs via the chassis ground (if there is one). Maybe we should use grounding blocks like the cable folks use, when we have outdoor mounted cameras (?). The isolation of cameras as mentioned to prevent ground loops is often practiced, perhaps making bonding at the buliding entrance and/or equipment rack more important.

I have used square poles a few times in the past, painted black, they come out nice and easy to mount to - except the drilling part as they are aluminum (I think) but feel like titanium!

I am wondering plastic or wooden block can fully insulated from lightning, I heard of that power surge can come from the ground via your cables... anyway, your camera or any equipment mount on pole must connecting cables.. right? So there is a kind of small device called surge protector in the market. This is the correct solution for protecting equipment outdoor in a lightning frequent areas. If you want, PM me and I'll try to find some detailed info for your reference.

Not sure if I am correct, let's share.

Regards,

Dove

The electromagnetic fields from the current in a lightning stroke can induce currents and voltage in wire and cables inside the building and cause critical damage. The cable entry should never be overlooked. The well known perception that lightning tends to strike elevated objects, such as trees, water towers, antennae, overhead power lines, metal poles etc. contribute to the misconception that burying a cable and driving a "rod" somehow protects it from lightning. Some installers of air terminals, down conductors and ground rods do an ineffective job for "protection" because the install methods are incorrect, which results in a waste of money, time and liability. Building a appropriate protection system entails a wide scope of grounding techniques and electromagnetic compatibility. Some DIYs think that merely connecting surge suppressors inside the building will protect their devices from lightning, while it may may result in an improved ability to withstand mild surges ('normal' surges on AC power lines) it is generally inadequate protection. My conculsion is that due to the unpredictable nature of a lightning strike and the extreme high energy level released there is no commercially off the shelf "plug and Play" available device that can 100% protect from a direct lightning strike, no matter what they claim. Here is a read on grounded principles: (I only take issue with the title, personally I think you can Reduce risk and threat not "eliminate" damage) but still a good read: http://mrtmag.com/techspeak/radio_wellgrounded_principles/ Lightning, protection regarding construction techniques is a ongoing saga that Ive been following for years, in the field and past heavy construction projects that involved certain NFPA codes and standards in concrete encased Electrodes. As well the NEC requirements regarding masts and metal structures. There is a lot of information and reads on this subject as well a huge market for systems, devices and many theories to this natural phenomena, and a lot of arguments. All in all my original post was really to help clarify the importance in working with outdoor circuits lest a person or DIY would think that a rubber isolation to a cam will protect a system from lightning