illogic

intro

Hello,

I've just started my research on cctv surveillance cameras and I've a lot to learn. At the moment I'm mostly looking to set up one or two cameras. One low light for sure and maybe one for daytime. My goal is to catch whoever keeps vandalizing my car.

The current camera I have isn't so great. It's a Security Labs model SLC-142, purchased from radio shack a few years ago. I actually unplugged the infrared LEDs because they didn't help at all long range and caused a lot of glare. Needless to say I'll be buying a new camera soon and I've got my eyes on the GE KTC-540E thats been mentioned a few times here.

Anyways, back to reading the forum

That is a first!

Too much IR!!

You should trade with someone who complains that they do not have enough IR.

Is it possible to move the camera farther back to get it in to "it's" IR range?

Could you change the lens to move it to another spot to take advantage of the IR range?

Welcome to the forum!

I think I explained it wrong. The IR works well at close range, but doesn't do any good at the distance I have it set up.

Moving the camera closer would be an option but considering the low quality of this camera I don't think its worth it. At night everything is extremely grainy.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks

It is supposed to be grainy.

You are not using natural lighting.

I cannot afford to illuminate lightbulbs to the same output of the sun.

IR is only a "tool" to be used when other "tools" are not being used.

From what I saw in the picture it looks like it throws the IR in a very narrow beam, but it throws it far.

I am surprised to read that you say that it does not work at a distance.

It is supposed to be grainy.

You are not using natural lighting.

I cannot afford to illuminate lightbulbs to the same output of the sun.

IR is only a "tool" to be used when other "tools" are not being used.

From what I saw in the picture it looks like it throws the IR in a very narrow beam, but it throws it far.

I am surprised to read that you say that it does not work at a distance.

they could use a UF500 then it would light it up like day light .. but thats not gonna be cheap Plus the camera they are using is probably the start of the problem.

to the OP, you could spend the money on the KTC-540E but you will need to know how to and have the tools to focus the lens properly - if not focused properly then it wont look good. Maybe just look at a BW Exview Bullet for now (comes focused and simple to install), or actually most True Day Night Bullets would probably be better than the Rat Chack camera you have

PS. where is the picture?

PS. where is the picture?

I'm past the 10 day wait and have 5 posts, but I still can't create a post with pictures.