need2shave

Problems with cameras connected to POE switch

We were installing a 9 camera IP system and ran our own network. We have 3 POE switches all connecting to a gigabit switch which the NVR is on. All cameras from two of the POE switches are working fine, however data from the 3rd switch keeps dropping. One of the three cameras on the switch will show up, then freeze and drop out. The other two cameras to the POE switch don't even show during an IP search.

We checked cable from all cameras to the trouble POE switch and all are good. The cat5e running from the POE switch to the gigabit switch is showing good too. We tried swapping out the POE switch, gigabit switch, all to no avail. We even went from the trouble POE switch to the NVR directly but are experiencing the same issue. The run from the POE switch to the gigabit switch is only 150'. Runs to each of the cameras are under 50'.

I'm at a loss and am considering running a new cable from the POE switch to the gigabit switch even though my cable tester shows all pairs as connected. Any suggestions???

TIA

You make the cables or did you buy them pre-done? I've seen crimped cables test fine on a simple tester but still not work well on a switch. Not sure why but every now and then I have troubles with mine and I have to redo the ends even though my tester lights up on all wires.

I made them and I replaced the RJ45s on both ends to make sure, but still nothing. I thought maybe the cable was compromised somewhere in between but then my tester shows all pairs connected...

We were installing a 9 camera IP system and ran our own network. We have 3 POE switches all connecting to a gigabit switch which the NVR is on. All cameras from two of the POE switches are working fine, however data from the 3rd switch keeps dropping. One of the three cameras on the switch will show up, then freeze and drop out. The other two cameras to the POE switch don't even show during an IP search.

TIA

What cameras do you use? Brand and model?

A lot of POE switches have fairly low wattage available overall are you sure you are not over budget? Will they work if they are all hooked up on short jumpers near the switch.

They're a dahua 2mp minidome and dahua 1.3mp bullet

I asked because I have a Dahua HFW2100 and I notice the same issue. It will be replaced by the seller I bought, but I'm afraid there're some defective units.

Do you notice the same behaviour with other brands of cameras? Or are you unable to test because you have only these Dahuas?

I don't think its the wattage on the switch since I've only got three cameras on it and I use them for 4 cameras routinely. I'll bring out one of my Axis cameras to test next time I'm on site in case it is a defective Dahua unit. Appreciate the input!

I don't think its the wattage on the switch since I've only got three cameras on it and I use them for 4 cameras routinely. I'll bring out one of my Axis cameras to test next time I'm on site in case it is a defective Dahua unit. Appreciate the input!

Thanks. After your tests, if it's a problem with the Dahua, please post here

It was an IP conflict, two cameras had the same static IP....after realizing this and making the change, the issue was resolved.