MaxIcon

Dahua HFW2100 IR LEDs failing

I just took a look at my HFW2100 and noticed that 12 of the 30 LEDs are out, and one more is dim. This is pretty common on bottom-end cameras, but not what I'd expect from the midrange, and is a bad sign for Dahua quality. The usual cause of this is overdriving the LEDs to get more output, and once they start overheating, the output drops until they die. We've just had the first few pretty warm days of the season.

I'll take a look inside to see what's up, but this is not a good indicator for Dahua quality.

Anybody else seeing their LEDs dropping out?

After installing a couple of Hik mini-bullets, I pulled my 2100 to check the LEDs. By this time, there were only 6 left on. Turns out they're connected in 5 strings of 6 LEDs, so when one LED opens up, the other 5 in that string go as well.

At first I thought I'd replace the board, but finding a match turns out to be non-trivial, so I found the bad LEDs and swapped them out, choosing some with matching parameters from digikey. It's back working again, except one string (I apparently missed one bad LED in the testing), and seems to be holding up well.

I've got a detailed post on the process here:

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=4946.0

Nobody else seems to be having trouble with theirs, so it looks like I got a lemon IR board. We'll see how long the rest of the LEDs hold up.

I've lost count of how many Dahua IR cameras I have out there. I've only had one lemon a couple of weeks ago. It stopped

lighting up at night time. My local reseller already has given me a replacement but I've yet to go out and replace it. I'm not even sure how to go about doing it cause the customer hasn't even called me yet, lol.

Not as many as Vector18, but had a few Dahua's for a while now, a full year for the first and didn't have one fail yet or have an LED go out. Good thing you got it fixed.