cpadav

desa vs dibos

Would anyone like to help me decide between a Bosch desa8 (not the new xl) and the Bosch Dibos8?

I like the ip, mpeg4 capabilities of the Dibos but the Desa records 4CIF at 120 IPS as opposed to the 2CIF at 60 IPS of the Dibos. We have already purchased 540TVL day/night cameras so I don't want the dvr recording capabilities to be the bottleneck.

Our office got tagged recently, and the purpose of the camera is to be able to make out license plate #s, faces or other evidence if it happens again. space on the hard drive is not an issue as we are only interested in the recording if something happened, so as long as I had a week or two to review motion detected video during the evenings, I will be fine.

Any help is appreciated.

We switched out a Desa for a GE DVMRe and the client is 100% much more happier ... i wouldnt even think about that older model, if you "must" buy a bosch DVR then get one of the new ones .. otherwise there are a ton more options out there that can be much better, better than even the GE.

Rory

I will forget about the desa then. I will wait for the dibos micro to ship on march 1st. I just hate to invest money in a dvr that can only do 2CIF.

Were you getting a decent price on the Desa? Is it Brand new Pricing or a good deal type of price .. ? I mean its not the worst out there and was pretty decent for what it was ...I just wouldnt spend much on it .. when you can build one yourself that would be much better for much less ..

CIF is an irrelavent term and can be completely different depending on the machines compression and other specifications. Check this out

It is essential to quantify the resolution used in any system. Many systems state that they have 'high resolution frames' or 'high definition frames' (the latter being a complete misnomer) when in fact the resolution is only CIF, which is only about 25% of the resolution available from most CCTV cameras. Common use of the term 'CIF' covers a small range of resolutions, so it is best to get a statement in terms of pixels, such as 352x240 or 320x240 (also known as QVGA) for NTSC. (Different values are used for PAL.)In addition, the amount of compression applied to an image of a given resolution affects the sharpness of the image and the number of artifacts. However, it is hard to quantify the sharpness of an image whereas it is easy to count the number of pixels in a frame, or the number of frames per second.

There is tons of articles on CIF online. I found this link really helpful:

http://www.bcdlowvoltage.com/Turnkey/Turnkey_CCTV/tech_faq.htm

704x240 2-cif but the bit rate and frame rate compression as well as camera resolution, monitor resolution, and other variables can make a difference on how good it looks. Did you check out that link?

No i didnt look (still workin), but yeah your right .. my bad ... been a while ... 4CIF is 720x480 ///

Yup, Monitor Type (CRT vs LCD), Screen Resolution (800x600/1024x768), Camera Resolution, etc, all make a diff .. in fact if you are using 640x480 source resolution for the DVR it looks better at 640x480 ... though most DVRs will be messed up unless it is in Full Screen at that res ... and with 720x480 Source, 800x600 ..

I wouldn't buy either of them myself for the price of one of those fully loaded I could buy 2 DVMRE's CTII's fully loaded. PC's and Video cards is where its at for price( if you build your own), playback networking and features they have some issues but for the most bang per buck you can't beat them.

Well I was refering to pc dvr's but actually they both have negatives like GE is expensive and pc dvr's...well its a pc and I have alot less issues with my tv dvr then I do with my PC but I love my PC!! Wife says I should sleep with it tonight if I don't get to bed soon!!

Yup .. but evidence sharing quality and speed is better with PC ...

and if you do what I do, with XP SP2, your pretty close to never having a failure .... GE for plug play and forget ... foe sure. Im spoilt by the Geo features now though . .. did you get a chance to try one yet?

Rory

Not yet, my buddy that built my computer is going to get one for a test against his toshiba's. What do you do with XP SP2? Lately I have been having internet issues like when outlook downloads new e-mail I get kicked out then outlooks gives me an error and I can't get back online unless I disable my connection in the control panel and reinable it. Also its been taking longer to run my spyware gear before Ishut down at night. Any thoughts?

Hmmm,I posted a couple things here .. on XP SP2 ..

as for outlook express, i use plain text only, dont download in preview plane, high security ...

Note the following was also a response to a person that had issues, which may have been trojans at the time hence #3 and the other suggestions to scan for spyware, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 1::

======

#1 - Make sure there is no other software installed on it ... besides the DVR software and XP updates/Fixes, drivers for the codecs for the DVR, etc.

#2 - Make the DVR software reboot occasionally - if you want - i set them to every 24 hours just for kicks, though im sure it can get away with it being alot longer as well the way XP works is different from the older 9X OS's.

#3 - Install these 2 programs, put them somewhere like a new folder called Services - CCleaner and Windows Cleanup. Normally you dont need these, but in your case you should run the 2 of these to the default settings:

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

http://www.ccleaner.com/

#4 - The Following:

this is a list of XP services I turn off by default on all PC DVRs, and my own PC. Speeds things up tremendously. I also use Port Filtering on DVRs to block all ports except the DVR server ports (eg. 80, 81, 82, whichever are used).

--------------------------------------------------

Computer Browser (unless network for browsing other computers)

Error Reporting Service

Fast User Switching

Help & Support

Indexing Service

Messenger

Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Registry

Routing and Remote Access

Security Accounts Manager (unless you use IIS or DSL)

Security Center

System Restore Service

Themes

Universal Plug and Play Host

Wireless Zero Configuration (unless you use wireless)

NOTE: DSL May Require A Couple Of the Services Above.

This is tested using Broadband Cable Internet for DVRs.

------------------------------------------

Additional Settings to Speed things up:

-Classic Windows Folders

-Classic Start Menu

-Personalized Menu off

-Group Similar Buttons off

-Hide Inactive Buttons off

-Remote Assistance off

-Windows Classic Theme

-No Screen Saver

-Turn off all Graphic Effects (use Tweakui)

-Performance on high setting

-Automatic Updates off

-MSN Messenger Uninstall & Disable

-Interner Explorer Uninstall & Disable & High Secu Setting, Cookies Disabled, & Content Advisor Enabled (then cant browse the web)

-TCP & UDP Port Filtering

Also for DVRs

-No games

-No Outlook Express

-No Antivirus

-No Office

-No All-in-one Printers (just the basic drivers)

-No .Net (unless DVR requires it - eg. ATI card)

-No Java Runtime (unless DVR requires it)

-No Adobe Software

#5 - if it still seems slow, after rebooting and doing all the above, you may have trojans, malware, or viruses.

Download Ewido, but you will need to disable it from start up, and also make sure the Guard is not loaded, it takes up alot of CPU and memory. Do the full scan, also, check the start up processes. It is also trialware so the scan will still work but the guard and updates wont after a certain period. http://www.ewido.net/en/

if you see anything suspicious after the Ewido scan and it is still slow, you may need to do an antivirus scan, check out AVG Free:

http://free.grisoft.com/

After all of these in #5, id suggest uninstalling them all and run the 2 Cleaner Cleanup programs above. If you want to keep them thats fine, just make sure they are not in start up by going to RUN and MSCONFIG STARTUP. Nothing but the DVR software should be there.

#6 - Something else i always install is TweakUi - download from DOWNLOAD.com, its free (its the 2nd one that comes up). I speed up the mouse, turn off all graphics, turn off Active Desktop changes, Hide Documents and Favourites on the Start menu.

#7 - I always install Real VNC so i can admin them remotely. If you do this than I could always log on with a password and check it out for you incase you have problems with doing any of the above.

[uPDATE FEB 17th 2006 - I USE ULTRA VNC NOW FOR THE FILE TRANSFER IT HAS] [uPDATE JULY 2006-WORKING ON OWN ADMIN PROGRAM]

#8 - Lastly, run the common windows Admin tools, Scan Disk, Clean up (select everything on the list - though wont be much left), and finally sit back and defrag. Make sure nothing is on start up once again, except the DVR server software - if you installed Tweak, that will be there also and thats okay. Now installing windows is another topic, i always do 10GB FAT32 and the rest NTSC, and load the DVR software on Partition D: but thats all personal preference.

-----

There are some other cosmetic things i do like:

only having the DVR server Software on the desktop, no recycle bin, no my computer, no nothing but the DVR software such as the Main program Shortcut, Back up, and Search.

In the Start Menu and Programs I only have the DVR software programs, you can edit that via TaskBar advanced settings. Just select all the others like Accessories and right click and check hidden, and drag the DVR software menu items into the main menu, and you can also hide run from the taskbar settings. So basically its just a DVR and thats it.

In Tweak Dont Show Documents or Favourites in the My Documents on the Start Menu, and in the Tweak desktop section i hide the Recycle bin, My network, and My computer (2 of those you can just right click delete on the desktop actually). So basically just some user settings to make it look less like a PC.

PS. Use at your own risk, i wont be held responsible for anything ..

Here are a couple screen shots.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/DVR1.jpg

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/DVR2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 2::

=======

-Upgrade to SP2 if you havent already

-Switch the port from 80, to 81 or 82, for the DVR for remote view

-Enable Windows Firewall and add the DVR ports and Remote Viewer Program to it (or use TCP/UDP Port Filtering - see below)

-If you have an extra firewall or are using Nortons with Internet Worm Blocking (not needed if using TCP Port Filtering) add 1 rule to block all ports, then add a Permit rule above that for each Port the DVR Remote viewer uses - essentially also blocking ports.

-Use TCP Port Filtering under TCP settings and advanced. Filter all TCP and UDP, just add the TCP ports your DVR Remote Viewer uses

-Turn off all unneeded services - see the list i posted before

-Take off everything but what the DVR server needs from the start up - MSCONFIG

-Run Ewido, and if you have Nortons update it and then do a full scan - delete any trojans and viruses found.

-Completely uninstall and remove MSN IM

-Turn up all IE settings to high (Security & Privacy Tabs) & Enable Content Manager incase a staff member tries to browse (set a pass)

-Disable Access to IE, MSN IM (if you dont want to delete it), and anything else that the DVR server software doesnt use

-Run SpywareBlaster (once only) and enable all protection - just as added security

-Run Windows Cleanup! ( http://cleanup.stevengould.org ) - use Thorough Cleanup from the Options

-Run CCLeaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp ), use the cleaner and the issues, do both 3 times.

-Make sure you have a router, then port forward only the Ports the DVR Remote Viewer uses - normally just TCP only.

-------------------------------------------------------

ALSO SEE THIS GENERAL PC PDF FILE.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/uploads/XP-TWEAKING.pdf

Rory