Hi One & All

i have recently installed 4 CCD cameras to my house and would like to be able to view online when or if i am away from home.

the capture card does allow me to do this, but i'm afraid it is from ebay and the manual although i understand it, does not go into great detail.

my main problem is that i'm not sure what i have to do to set up my PC and router to enable it to allow me to view online

i use SKY as my broadband provider and i believe that there are issues regarding static IP, but there is a way around this apparently.

i use a netgear dg834n router which has 2 PC's attached one of which is solely for the cctv

any help or suggestions on how to do this would be much appreciated.

regards

I am with sky also and you do not get a static IP address, therefore

step 1

goto www.dyndns.com and set up a free account. in your account section you should be able to set up a host name, (click auto detected IP address to fill in IP address box see picture below as example, click create host when finished. you will need your host name, login name and password for the next step. where i entered pos you can put what you like, but keep it short as it replaces www

step 2

log in to your router and select dynamic dns and fill in your details as per pic 2

once saved the sky router will update your dns account with your current IP address.

step 3

as in my example I just type in http://pos.*******.com and voila (Dont use www). if you change your port number on your dvr or it is already different than 80 remember to add :8080 (port number at the end of your address

85226_1.jpg

85226_2.jpg

Edited by Guest

Ya!!

Go to google

serch >> free DNS service

you will get plenty of such services which provide such connectivity!!

Some DVRS have Remove viewing softwares to view them over internet!!

We can guide you on that if you can share the Exact model no of the DVR

Good LucK!!

Kalpesh Nikumbh

India

Ya!!

Go to google

serch >> free DNS service

My SKY provided router only accepts dyndns.com. WAYNERP go into your router setup and under dynamic DNS there is a drop down box for service provider, have a look, you may have more options because my model is a DG834GT

ok many thanks for your assistance

i have set up an account with dyndns. all appears ok.

i have also set up dynamic dns in my router

when i try to log in to my 'cctv' online it loads my netgear router page!! i have asked my brother to give it a try at his house and the page does not load so i guess i have done something wrong.

i have uploaded a couple of images to see if you guys might be able to tell me where i'm going wrong

many thanks again

13.gif.81a740f0f4e313c7e9f8d9a823f7d171.gif

12.gif.b999012d1c584f62dcc535229284ba49.gif

1. goto services

click add service

give it a title

type = tcp/udp

start port =80

finish port 8080

click apply

2. goto LAN IP Setup

you will need to reserve an IP address for your PC, so that everytime you start your PC, your router will allocate the same IP address. to get your mac address goto attached devices you should see your PC there so make a note of the mac address.

3. goto firewall rules

under inbound select add

service= in drop down list find the name of the service you created

action = allow always

send to lan server = e.g. 192.168.1.10 (this is your DVR server IP address or PC IP address)

4. Generally DVR servers listen on port 80, check your documation to make sure. if different and outside the 80 - 8080 range, amend step 1 to reflect it.

ok will do that

just trying to work out why my router is showing as having 2 attached devices, when i'm on a secure network with only 1 pc currently plugged into the router??

ok will do that

just trying to work out why my router is showing as having 2 attached devices, when i'm on a secure network with only 1 pc currently plugged into the router??

These routers are sometimes slow at refreshing themselves. If the MAC address is the same then the router has renewed the IP address for your PC (hense the need to reserve the IP address).

you know your stuff!!

your right the router was showing the same pc.

ok i have done that and have managed to log into viewing online, but i either get invalid password message or i just get black screens and no image.

sorry to be a pain in the a**e!!

you know your stuff!!

your right the router was showing the same pc.

ok i have done that and have managed to log into viewing online, but i either get invalid password message or i just get black screens and no image.

sorry to be a pain in the a**e!!

Eeeek, my knowledge of DVR card servers is limited, but in the software there must be a means of setting up online passwords, there should be a "admin" and a "guest" account as default. guest accounts normally have a simple password like guest or 0000.

I should imagine there could also be problems trying to view the server from the same PC (hense the black screens). If you have another PC/Laptop on the same network open a browser window and type in the IP address of your server without the HTTP://www i.e. 192.168.1.??? and see if you get any pictures

Hi there,

Just followed everything you been saying but i'm confused. not sure what to do next. I have manage to get the DynDNS acc to direct and its showing my Routers home page, how how do i get it to show actual video from the cctv, and like many things i want it to be so i have to put user name and password.

thanks in advance

Hi there,

Just followed everything you been saying but i'm confused. not sure what to do next. I have manage to get the DynDNS acc to direct and its showing my Routers home page, how how do i get it to show actual video from the cctv, and like many things i want it to be so i have to put user name and password.

thanks in advance

when somebody types into their browser the address you created at dyndns, Dyndns will then redirect them to your IP address.

Providing Java script is enabled, the log on screen will appear.