Sign in to follow this  
calida

Are P2P camera safe?

Hello , I bought 2 IP cameras with P2P function , ask if you can use P2P with a password . The camera bar code is placed on the packaging and anyone ( including the seller ) can register to enter the code of my camera and see what only I should see.

there is a way to see just me the camera?

I never like P2P interface, they are a security risk and also face problems down the road if the brand of equipment you bought are not from a more reputable/larger brand .

What P2P camera does it they maintain a live outgoing connection to a server, most often the manufacturer's server. When your device attempt to connect to the camera, you are connecting to the server for the server to assist you to link up with your camera.

Some just assist to connect and hands off.

Most route all traffic through the server.

In this case, all your traffic are going through that server. If the server is not located in your country, all your video are routed oversea and back again. If the server is slow, your streaming will be slow as well. This is not even considering the streaming that can be intercepted at the connection point.

That being said, port forwarding have it's own set of issues for some system that are buggy and have exploits.

Also, most of the system in the market transmit in the clear. Some have encryption feature in, but required more complication configuration which most people don't do that, including installers. Any routers in the mids can intercept the video/images by listening in to the stream and capturing them.

Most secure way and easiest way to setup.

1. Set up your camera for local access.

2. Get a router that support VPN.

3. Setup VPN connection.

4. Connect through VPN to view your camera.