Sign in to follow this  
HenrysCat

Budget NVR with motion detection

Hi all, I am looking for a budget NVR box with motion detection for ONVIF cameras, I have found these two but can't seem to find any reviews, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on either or if you know of a better alternative.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311383544431

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201150637238

Thanks all

Both are junk, there is a thread on the mini nvr on the forum...

What cameras are you using? motion detection is one of the things that is a big hit or miss when you mix and match cameras and NVRs..what cameras are you using?

A nice no nonsense answer I have a mixture of cheap ip cams, ipcc, sricam etc, so what about something like a net top pc, an Acer Veriton N281G/Intel Atom CPU 1.80Ghz, would that be enough to record a 1080p stream? Running ispy connect for example?

A nice no nonsense answer I have a mixture of cheap ip cams, ipcc, sricam etc, so what about something like a net top pc, an Acer Veriton N281G/Intel Atom CPU 1.80Ghz, would that be enough to record a 1080p stream? Running ispy connect for example?

I dont run ispy (note that ispy is not free, it charges a monthly fee for remote access and a limited number of alerts)...ispy will generally be cpu intensive for many hd streams..

I personally use blue iris because I like the flexibility of the many options, but it too requires a powerful pc for many had streams...how many cameras do you have in total and how what is the resolution of each camera?

The highest res cam I have is actually 1280x720, just checked

The free version of ispy seems to do everything I require, running it on an old dell now, the problem is its large, noisy, running out of space and probably draws about 100w and on its last legs

The highest res cam I have is actually 1280x720, just checked

The free version of ispy seems to do everything I require, running it on an old dell now, the problem is its large, noisy, running out of space and probably draws about 100w and on its last legs

Pick up one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-USDT-Desktop-Core-i5-4570s-2-9GHz-4GB-320GB-2017-Warranty-/141752588462?hash=item21011cd8ae

draws 16w at idle...probably 35 with your load...

Or wait for a dell outlet sale...pickup a dell i5-haswell micropc for 300 or so...

If you want units with more room for hard discs, get the small form factors or mini towers...the above units only have room for a single 2.5 drive..

Run ispy on it and it will be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-USDT-Desktop-Core-i5-4570s-2-9GHz-4GB-320GB-2017-Warranty-/141752588462?hash=item21011cd8ae

Or wait for a dell outlet sale...pickup a dell i5-haswell micropc for 300 or so...

If you want units with more room for hard discs, get the small form factors or mini towers...the above units only have room for a single 2.5 drive..

Not exactly a budget option, I could could buy a complete 4 camera setup for that price

Not exactly a budget option, I could could buy a complete 4 camera setup for that price

yes, you can also find cheaper home systems online...

PC nvrs give you lots of flexibility...but if you simply want a recording solution buy a boxed ip system from costco or sams.

The bottom line is this, if you keep buying bottom of the barrel equipment then that is what your system will be...that atom has a 696 passmark...thats probably lower than your dell. As you point out you are likely paying your electric company 100 a year or more to run that ancient system at full blast.

PC nvrs give you lots of flexibility...but if you simply want a recording solution buy a boxed ip system from costco or sams.

The bottom line is this, if you keep buying bottom of the barrel equipment then that is what your system will be...that atom has a 696 passmark...thats probably lower than your dell. As you point out you are likely paying your electric company 100 a year or more to run that ancient system at full blast.

Hmmm interesting, just ran passmark on my Dell and got 271, proof below

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=46199962028

Think I might buy that Net top Atom N281G after all

Hmmm interesting, just ran passmark on my Dell and got 271, proof below

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=46199962028

Think I might buy that Net top Atom N281G after all

How much is the nettop?...its will still struggle over a 150 dollar j2900 system..again, if you keep buying the bare minimum low end you will get poor results. For about 200 you can have a modern efficient i3-4130 haswell. The netop is junk.

Here is a prosumer type i3 haswell for 200. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-I3-4130-3-4-GHz-4GB-Ram-500-GB-Hdd-Windows-10-Pro-EE13331-Ver-/252046812609?hash=item3aaf2925c1

passmark 4700...its worth a few extra dollars..if you dont want to spend that much the j2900/j1800 machines go on sale for 130...

Edited by Guest

How much is the nettop?...its will still struggle over a 150 dollar j2900 system..again, if you keep buying the bare minimum low end you will get poor results. For about 200 you can have a modern efficient i3-4130 haswell. The netop is junk.

Here is a prosumer type i3 haswell for 200. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-I3-4130-3-4-GHz-4GB-Ram-500-GB-Hdd-Windows-10-Pro-EE13331-Ver-/252046812609?hash=item3aaf2925c1

passmark 4700...its worth a few extra dollars..

That's a humongous box full of fans, I want something small and discreet that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner in the corner of the room, how much processing power is really needed to capture a couple of 720 streams? my dell manages but the end result is a bit choppy.

The net top is £50 " title="Applause" />

passmark 4700...its worth a few extra dollars..

That's a humongous box full of fans, I want something small and discreet that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner in the corner of the room, how much processing power is really needed to capture a couple of 720 streams? my dell manages but the end result is a bit choppy.

The net top is £50 " title="Applause" />

You have a misconception about the machines...the new machines are SUPER quiet and you cannot hear them..its not like your ten year old machines..

Its not just capturing the stream, its analyzing it for motion detection and displaying the stream if you have it up...there is software that can do this more efficiently than ISPY but there is a per camera license fee...

Its your money do as your wish. For a few dollars more get a better system...

Unless you up your budget all you are going to get is crap and waste your money ....... Upto now your budget shows £100 ($80)

And your links are from China ......

Do you want a system that works or just waste money

The cameras you have is going to be a battle to get to work with anything

You have a misconception about the machines...the new machines are SUPER quiet and you cannot hear them..its not like your ten year old machines..

Its not just capturing the stream, its analyzing it for motion detection and displaying the stream if you have it up...there is software that can do this more efficiently than ISPY but there is a per camera license fee...

I know what your saying about newer machines but I really don't want another pc in the room, just something I can hide, I really like the look of this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301199745305

I know what your saying about newer machines but I really don't want another pc in the room, just something I can hide, I really like the look of this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301199745305

100% chance that will not work with all your cameras...buy a kit from a reliable maker and seller.

Well I'm a few beers in now and made a decision, I have ordered this one http://domarsolutions.co.uk/4-channel-mini-super-compacted-mega-value-nvr.html

Once I have set it up and had a play around I will post a review on these forums, and yes I will be honest, don't want to anyone to make my mistakes

Thanks for all your help guys

No need to post a review .... That one is also junk and will not run your cameras ...... Look at its res ...... Now you have to buy hard drive ...... Then find it does not work .....no support .... No updates

Your in the UK ..... Dahua with 4 IP cameras and hard drive is £200

No need to post a review .... That one is also junk and will not run your cameras ...... Look at its res ...... Now you have to buy hard drive ...... Then find it does not work .....no support .... No updates

I already have more hard drives than I know what to do with I'll post back soon

If you know what to do ....... First you should of read the advert because that is junk

And I would recommend anyone reading this post to read the advert and look for something else ........

But just to show you

Dahua NVR ........ 4 x 3mp cameras POE ....£70

Your junk ....... Hard drive NVR switch and not even 1.3mp already over 100

If you know what to do ....... First you should of read the advert because that is junk

And I would recommend anyone reading this post to read the advert and look for something else ........

But just to show you

Dahua NVR ........ 4 x 3mp cameras POE ....£70

Your junk ....... Hard drive NVR switch and not even 1.3mp already over 100

tom, its no use...there are some users who come here asking for advice when their mind is already made up...you can see from the camera choices that this end user does not care about reliability or quality...this will be added to his junk pile.

tom, its no use...there are some users who come here asking for advice when their mind is already made up...you can see from the camera choices that this end user does not care about reliability or quality...this will be added to his junk pile.

The reason I chose to go my own way was simply you offered no reasonable explanation as to why one product may not be a good as another and simply dismissed it as 'Junk' If you had actually tried one of these units which you clearly have not, you would be able to offer more of an informed opinion, but to dismiss something you have never used as 'Junk' seems pointless to me, and to be perfectly honest I find you a little rude. Please do not reply to any more of my threads.

The reason I chose to go my own way was simply you offered no reasonable explanation as to why one product may not be a good as another and simply dismissed it as 'Junk' If you had actually tried one of these units which you clearly have not, you would be able to offer more of an informed opinion, but to dismiss something you have never used as 'Junk' seems pointless to me, and to be perfectly honest I find you a little rude. Please do not reply to any more of my threads.

Yes have worked on that unit ....hence I posted DONT BUY

there is no point explaining why it's junk the spec alone and being a no brand is enough for anyone not to buy.

And if YOU THINK AM RUDE .......... Buy that unit and then come back and say am right ............ It was advice ..... Which your post was posted for

If you can come on ask then deside without listening to anyone in 4 hours of posting ........ Then pointless you posting in first place

No that is not the reason. That is the reason you made up. In my first post I indicated that the reason not to get it. If you wanted a more detailed explanation you should asked for one. The reason is you are trying to be cheap. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Now that I see how ungrateful you are, im kind of glad that you went ahead and made the purchase...you will see exactly what we mean when you try to use that junk...

and to be perfectly honest I find you a little rude

LOL, boogerman may have flunked out of charm school, but he is right and so is tomcc. You will probably have problems with that system. But please do report back and tell us how it went.

What can I say? it just works, what else is it supposed to do?

It detected my ONVIF camera instantly, It records, motion detection works, its small, it's "CHEEP" like the budgie, and it looks nice.

Sorry guys but it seems you don't know everything after all

Main menu

276463_1.jpg

Camera added successfully

276463_2.jpg

System setup menu

276463_3.jpg

Setting motion detection area

276463_4.jpg

Motion detection schedule

276463_5.jpg

Network settings

276463_6.jpg

Main view

276463_7.jpg

Inside with 3.5in drive, 2.5in drive can be added instead if required.

276463_8.jpg