qwerty6000

Concerned about theft of the camera itself

Hi Guys,

I have purchased a Foscam IP camera (FI 9828P) ... which i intend to mount on a concrete parapet wall, 8ft off the ground, at the front of my driveway.

it will be set around 1 or 2 feet behind the gate, but clearly visible from the footpath and road.

My concern is just how much of a target the camera itself will become, does anyone have any states, anectdotally even, on that?

They'd still have to scale my wrought iron fence (or jump a side fence and run up my driveway) to get to it ... and i would have footage of them doing it (footage stored offsite) ... but we all know a tshirt around the face and a baseball cap is enough to hide identity

I do have 7 other cameras around the actual house (down a 50 metre driveway, not at all visible to anyone ... unless you had jumped my fences and come into my property) ... never been worried about them getting stolen.

Thoughts?

I intend to use strong mounting, but even so, any adult male could jump up and reef on it / damage it.

It's not a terribly bad area, but we all know there's enough crackheads in most corners of the world these days...

Just an idea, place a fake camera that is not too difficult to get to, make sure it is in view of one of your other cameras, at least that would give you an idea if somebody is trying to vandalize your camera. Fake cameras are fairly cheap, come in all shapes and sizes.

BTW, I see a lot of surveillance footage. Most cameras are mounted too high and do not get a good view of the person's face, so by the time the police grab a frame from your video, they see the top of their head, the bill of their ball cap or the top of their hoodie. So if you had a dummie camera up high in plain sight, and a concealed camera at eye level, that would give you the best chance of IDing the suspect.

Jim

Hi. I would mount your camera higher on a pole

You have a PTZ so going a bit higher will be ok. Then you can also mount solar light to the pole helping your gate view at night.

You can also put small spikes on the pole