Sign in to follow this  
ukbmw1990

Bitrate Issues

Hi everyone - hope you are all well.

I am having a problem with my 3 CCTV cameras. They are Hikvision POE IP (100mbps) cameras. I have them connected to a 1Gbps network and recording to a Netgear ReadyNAS 1Gbps NAS.

The issue I have is if I turn the bitrate on any of the cameras up past 4mbps, I get horrible stuttering, moreso in recordings. I run them at 25fps and 1080p. I can't understand this problem as there is plenty of bandwidth available.

For example - 4mbps is fine on live view however recording have a slight stutter.

Anything past 4mbps affects both live and recorded views.

The only other traffic on the network is internet traffic to various computers, phones, tablets etc. My net connection is 80mbps.

Thanks and appreciate any help/advice.

Trevor

Hi

What HDD you are using in the NAS? it can be that the NAS server you are using cant handle the data, what is the spec of that NAS server? try using a HIkvision or Dahua NVR to do your recordings.

Regards

Marc

A 4 Mb/s stream is a LOT of data. Unless you need the bitrate up that high you are just wasting resources. Most of my cameras are about half of that and the quality is great. I recommend you do some experimenting and find the middle ground that works. Find what looks good and what provides clear evidence that you can be confident will deliver results should you need it. Also, check your frame rate, there is really no need to go above 15-18 fps, most of my stuff and all of my client stuff runs at 10 or less. There are only a few exceptions to that rule, but the name of the game is quality video evidence. Just keep that in mind and play with the settings until you find what works.

The hard drive quality does matter too!! Make sure you have at least an enterprise class hard drive, or something like the Western Digital purple line that is made specifically for video surveillance.

Sorry for the long delay! I have dropped to 3mbs on the bitrate and so far all is good. I am using a netgear readynas with 2x WD Red drives in RAID0. Thank you for the replies - going to try get the bitrate down further based on your advice.

Boogieman dancing around in this forum could answer your problems. I do not understand why so many advocates IP cameras. Some keeps peddling 4MP cameras from HikVision. There are still problems with "3 IP Cameras with each less 3mbps and less 10 FPS".

Boogieman dancing around in this forum could answer your problems. I do not understand why so many advocates IP cameras. Some keeps peddling 4MP cameras from HikVision. There are still problems with "3 IP Cameras with each less 3mbps and less 10 FPS".

You dont know what you are talking about. This is a network related issue. Thousands of other people dont have this issue. Why dont I have this problem? One post and sunnykim pops his china scammer head up out of the sand. Fool. Search this forum for thousands of problems with analog. Do you blame analog or the installer? We are not dumb here in america. You cannot scam us anymore. We have youtube!!!! We can see the difference between D1 and 4mp. Fool. Time to take some networking classes sunnykim.

Go back to your china assembly line and keep making your D1 low resolution garbage that your company dumps on unsuspecting fools.

You dont know what you are talking about. This is a network related issue. Thousands of other people dont have this issue. Why dont I have this problem? One post and sunnykim pops his china scammer head up out of the sand. Fool. Search this forum for thousands of problems with analog. Do you blame analog or the installer? We are not dumb here in america. You cannot scam us anymore. We have youtube!!!! We can see the difference between D1 and 4mp. Fool. Time to take some networking classes sunnykim.

Go back to your china assembly line and keep making your D1 low resolution garbage that your company dumps on unsuspecting fools.

His answer is simply to blame your network bandwidth, not to blame the system of IP Camera.

His answer is simply to blame your network bandwidth, not to blame the system of IP Camera.

How come I dont have this issue? How come thousands of others dont have this issue? hmmmmm.

Just installed 12 cameras. 3mp, 15fps, 4096 bitrate. All run smooth as butter. Do I have a magic cameras?

FYI, the frame rate is irrelevant and distinct from the bitrate. You keep mentioning it like it has an effect. Please learn the concepts before commenting.

OP should tell us what model switch he is using...cables - copper not china junk CCA (copper clad aluminium). Hard drive? Is it a green or other slow drive? etc..

I don't believe its a camera fault - I am relatively new to CCTV so am still on a steep learning curve. My network runs on Cat5e cabling and Gigabit switches. The Netgear ReadyNAS has 2x 2TB WD Red drives in on RAID 0 and is also Gigabit. The Hikvision cameras are 100mb, not gigabit.

I very highly doubt it is a network issue. Baring in mind I am after as much quality as possible, I have the video quality cranked right up to maximum and maximum frame rate the cameras will allow. I just assumed that even a 8mbps bitrate stream would be childs play on a gigabit network with nothing other than 80mbps internet traffic maximum. Or is bitrate measured differently to network bandwidth?

Thanks.

I don't believe its a camera fault - I am relatively new to CCTV so am still on a steep learning curve. My network runs on Cat5e cabling and Gigabit switches. The Netgear ReadyNAS has 2x 2TB WD Red drives in on RAID 0 and is also Gigabit. The Hikvision cameras are 100mb, not gigabit.

I very highly doubt it is a network issue. Baring in mind I am after as much quality as possible, I have the video quality cranked right up to maximum and maximum frame rate the cameras will allow. I just assumed that even a 8mbps bitrate stream would be childs play on a gigabit network with nothing other than 80mbps internet traffic maximum. Or is bitrate measured differently to network bandwidth?

Thanks.

You can run at max settings but as pointed out earlier its not nessesay...you will not see a difference if your run at 4096...Cat5e is meaningless, what brand? there are cheap cca cables that will cause tons of packet loss. Even bad crimps...Take the camera down, run a short cable and test. If you still have the problem, try recording direct to pc and see if the problems is resolved.