CorvairShaggy

HD-TVI DVRs and HDMI Output Overscan Issues

I have been playing around with some new HD-TVI DVRs. I have a Vitek Transcendent and a Chinese Generic DVR. On both units on multiple 32"-42" TVs, it has an overscan issue where about 2-3 inches of the picture is chopped off. Basically, if the TV had an overscan adjustment, I could "pull" the image in horizontal and vertical to get it to fit into the display. I have tried changing the output resolution on the DVR, and tried changing the aspect ratio on the TVs with no luck. When I talked to Vitek about it, they said that the HDMI output on their DVRs was designed for HDMI Monitors and not TVs, but sometimes you can get lucky. They said they are using their unit on a 65" Vizio without issue, but other than that they could not give me any other suggestions. I ordered the Chinese Generic DVR from my supplier in China, and found out it does the exact same thing. It is a totally different menu system/hardware than the Vitek, so it is not a case of a rebranded DVR.

I did install a Swann HD-TVI system for someone, and it worked perfect on a 50" (Can't remember brand).

So, has anyone else ran into this issue, and if so how was it resolved? I am planning on switching over to TVI systems because the cost is the same as analog, but at some locations the DVR is hooked to a TV for display, and some are not. Trying to figure this out before I proceed any further with the TVI. Do the HD-CVI DVRs have the same issue? Hard to tell which format is going to take over. I did not have this issue on HD-SDI, but that technology was expensive, and seems liek it is being phased out already.

Hi. No cvi does not have the same problems as tvi Infact cvi has already got better

The problem with tvi now is its open source and the past few months China no brands have brought tvi crap into the market ..and real tvi and junk tvi don't like working well together as you have just found out with your supplier.

Hi. No cvi does not have the same problems as tvi Infact cvi has already got better

The problem with tvi now is its open source and the past few months China no brands have brought tvi crap into the market ..and real tvi and junk tvi don't like working well together as you have just found out with your supplier.

Even the "Name Brand" Vitek DVR does the same as the China "Crap", that is what has me stumped. I expect the China DVRs to be cheap crap, but then again, is there such thing as a cheap analog stand-alone DVR that actually has a user friendly interface?? The cameras are all TVI and they work great, it's just for the customer viewing it on a 32" TV, it has to be on VGA. Problem is even at 1920x1080, the HDMI has a better/crisper/brighter picture than on the VGA at the same res. If I didn't have a picky customer, then the VGA would have been fine, but long term, I would like to hook HDMI and be done with it with all analog to HD conversion setups.

So you are saying that CVI will be the better technology/format long term? From what I have read, since TVI is open source, that it will be cheaper and be more compatible long term in regards to analog/Siamese cabling. All new installs will eventually be IP since the price is finally coming down on those, but I still think IP is more expensive setup vs. CVI/TVI for a HD resolution (I might be wrong on this as I have not checked on IP prices recently).

A few years ago open source did help new formats and improve systems. But only if other big names wanted to add and develope

This has not happened with tvi ..... No it's not getting better it's starting to get none comparable with each other .... Use hikvision from start to end of install and all will be ok .... Mix tvi with cheap China tvi and you will have problems.

It's not just with surveillance DVR's that has this issue. The same thing occurs with some cable TV set top converters. I have been in the TV servicing business for 50 years, so I know what I'm talking about. When I read this post, I looked at the TV in the room that I'm in right now and there is a loss of video on the left and right, no matter the screen setting that I change it too. So, don't totally blame your DVR, no matter what it is. "Big, big name" money DVR or "cheap" money. Even some monitors will overscan too. In some instances, I don't even like to call it overscan, because even adjusting the raster to the screen, you will be missing some of the video.

It's not just with surveillance DVR's that has this issue. The same thing occurs with some cable TV set top converters. I have been in the TV servicing business for 50 years, so I know what I'm talking about. When I read this post, I looked at the TV in the room that I'm in right now and there is a loss of video on the left and right, no matter the screen setting that I change it too. So, don't totally blame your DVR, no matter what it is. "Big, big name" money DVR or "cheap" money. Even some monitors will overscan too. In some instances, I don't even like to call it overscan, because even adjusting the raster to the screen, you will be missing some of the video.

If the op has used multiple TVs with same result ....... Then uses a brand name and does not have the problem on his tv rules out its a tv problem.

Hikvision TVI does not give this problem. Licences sellers of tvi don't have the problem ..... Cheap open source does ..... They make cheap to sell cheap and cheap graphics is the problem

So, would you consider Vitek to be a cheap supplier? They hold security conferences all around the country and as far as I can tell, are also based out of the U.S. I'm confused because in all your responses, you said I keep using cheap chinese crap. One of the DVRs I am using, yes, is a Chinese manufacturer. No, I have never used an Hikvision box before, but I have heard mixed reviews on those as well. Just for the hell of it, I may order one up and see if it gives the same issues. I assume that maybe the Sony TV I am using is also cheap Chinese that is causing the overscan. I already know that RCA and Dynex are cheap, so I would expect something quirky out of those.

Vitex don't make ...... They buy in from China ... So like a said open source ..... Not a main developer like the main two licensed

There is nothing wrong in your systems operation except screen fit

That's just down to the output of the dvr.