ansonwilson

Geovision IP cameras - anybody using these?

Hi guys.

I currently have a 6 camera system set up using a geovision gv-something) card.

We are needing 16 more cameras (we will actually end up with only about 20 total, as I need to replace 2 conventional cameras) across 3 different locations (all networked)

I'd like to do IP cameras this time, with POE switches to power them.

I'm looking at the Geovision IP cameras. I've been approved on their price, but before I pulled the trigger I wanted to see if anyone has any experience, recommendations, etc for certain models, etc, or if they are garbage, let me know. We are getting ready to spend some money.

Also, how,easy is it to record from the geovision ip cameras? I know they have a minisd slot, but not sure how best to configure these. Our primary use will be to record what happens on nights/weekends, and for remote viewing. We already have a dvr set up for the conventional cameras, so I would not mind keeping it all centralized.

Oh, one more thing. I'd love for the boss to be able to see these via his iPad. Is that doable with these?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice! I've learned a lot on these boards!

In my part of the world they are more common than the other brands you see in the states.

I've just built myself a new core-i5 3570k system for a GV-NVR setup.

I use the MFD range and I think they are okay, details are clear, however I've seen better clarity on other setups, I presume it might have something to do with the lense used in the different products. Each geovision IP camera is basically a linux server itself. You can connect to each one individually and set them up to record to an SD card slot or FTP. If you only ever needed 1 camera this is good because it can be used standalone.

I cannot comment on the other models as I do not use them. Maybe look for a review?

I am about to add a fisheye to my setup in the next few weeks as I've seen a youtube review and think the motion detection is very well done.

What is better is to setup a machine to do the recording using the GV-NVR software. If you have a phat pipe between the 3 locations then you could probably just setup 1 machine. If not then you'd need 3.

Central management can then be done using the the center v2 software.

Geovision has two iphone applications. One called GV-Eye which is designed to interface with NVR and GV-iView which is simpler and connects directly to a camera.

GeoVision IP Cameras are very popular here in Poland, because they are cheap and you get free GV-NVR.

We sold hundreds of them, image is good, but there is one more thing failure rate - BX120, BL120, MFD120, 130, 220 are ok. PTZ are also ok, but other cameras seams to have much higher failure rate, BX220 and BX320 is the worst of them all.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help! We actually ended up buying one to see how I liked them. Picture is pretty good. As always, Geovision documentation is spotty and awkward, but it seems to have plenty of functionality.

I was hoping to get away from DVRs at each location, but I understand now why that would be tough. The good thing is we have enough spare computers lying around that it should not be an issue to get another one set up for an NVR.

If anyone else has any more comments about these, I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for them!

Thanks!

i have 2 sd200's a vd120 and vd220 as well as a fd120, no real problems yet, haven't had them for that long though

Just as a followup,

I installed 4 of the Geovision Low-lux bullet cameras (1 megapixel) and one of their little mini-domes for an interior shot. Here are my thoughts.

The bullet cameras are BIG. That's not really a bad thing, but they are larger than I was expecting. The housings seem very solid. Low light on these cameras is great.

The interior mini-dome is nothing too impressive. Looks good as long as there is light, but that is what we are looking for in our application.

I'm about to order some more for another location.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!