mudcow007

New install - bad image

Hello all

just installed my first cctv install in my house, DVR is located in the loft an have two 1200 floureon cameras, connected to cat5e using passive baluns to the DVR.

the cable runs are about 15 - 20ft max

before i installed the cameras, i tested them connected to the DVR (using baluns etc) an they worked great. But since fitting them, the image is poor

cable i used is

JSL 100% copper utp cat5e 24awg 100% bare solid copper conductor (well thats what it says on the spool) i work in IT so have loads of it

any ideas?

thanks

any ideas?

thanks

You haven't got the cable running parallel to any power or near fluorescent light fittings have you?

I've never heard of the brand

cheers for the replies...

i only one socket in the loft, so i'm having to use a 4 gang extension lead (with surge protector)

power supply to the camera is a 12v 5amp switching psu thing with a 1 - 4 splitter for the different cameras

i used the orange pair for the video, an brown for the power, i snipped off the unused pairs

there is nothing else using mains up in the loft so hopefully nothing to interfere with it.

A single pair for video white stripe+ve solid colour -ve

Then take the remaining pairs and separate into whit stripe and solid color and use to carry the DC Power.

My convention is everything that is white with a color stripe is +ve

everything with a solid color is -ve.

The fact that you are using a single pair for power means there is not enough power getting to the cameras

this MAY be your problem but it will certainly need correcting before you can move toward a solution.

268833_1.jpg

A single pair for video white stripe+ve solid colour -ve

Then take the remaining pairs and separate into whit stripe and solid color and use to carry the DC Power.

My convention is everything that is white with a color stripe is +ve

everything with a solid color is -ve.

The fact that you are using a single pair for power means there is not enough power getting to the cameras

this MAY be your problem but it will certainly need correcting before you can move toward a solution.

268833_1.jpg

15 - 20' cable runs so I dont think it is a voltage drop issue. They worked ok before installing so I dont think it is a camera issue. Look at - split pair or wrong polarity on balun