Sign in to follow this  
zekezchry

Maplin Sentient 4 Channel Network DVR lost ActiveX Plugin

Hi,

The HDD failed on my Maplin Sentient 4 Channel Network DVR.

I swapped the disk for a new one and re-formatted it. All seems OK except I am now unable to view video from Internet Explorer?

If I click on the link on the DVRs homepage to download the plugin I get 'inst4twn.exe File Not Found' - this seems to be attempting to download from the DVR itself?

Does anyone know if this is supposed to be on the HDD or on the Software CD that came with the DVR (which I have unfortunately lost)?

Thanks for any Help.

I don't see it being on the hard drive you use to record to chances are its stored in a small ROM on the board or somewhere in separate storage on the unit. Have you tried looking on google for this plugin, and it should not have mattered if the HDD on the dvr was replaced the plugin should still be stored on your computer.

If you ever used it before, it will be somewhere on your computer.

Try locating the ActiveX control and any dependency files. Then you can make your own installer for other computers, or just install it manually.

I don't see it being on the hard drive you use to record to chances are its stored in a small ROM on the board or somewhere in separate storage on the unit. Have you tried looking on google for this plugin, and it should not have mattered if the HDD on the dvr was replaced the plugin should still be stored on your computer.

Managed to download a copy of the manual from the Maplin website - apparently on replacing the HDD I need to upload the Inst4TWN.exe file back onto the DVR from the Software CD (which I've lost). Looks like I need to find someone who has the cd.

If you ever used it before, it will be somewhere on your computer.

Try locating the ActiveX control and any dependency files. Then you can make your own installer for other computers, or just install it manually.

I only ever used it before locally so never bothered to try the ActiveX control (silly I know - oh for a bit of hindsight!).

i dont think you have a active x problem at all. you still should be able to log on to your dvr with HD installed or not.

this may be your problem.

I swapped the disk for a new one and re-formatted it. All seems OK except I am now unable to view video from Internet Explorer?

what you may have done with the reset is removed your dvrs local ip settings you may have to manal input them again

i dont think you have a active x problem at all. you still should be able to log on to your dvr with HD installed or not.

this may be your problem.

what you may have done with the reset is removed your dvrs local ip settings you may have to manal input them again

I can ping and browse to the DVR (using I.E), however the part of the webpage that should be the CCTV image remains blank.

I can ping and browse to the DVR (using I.E), however the part of the webpage that should be the CCTV image remains blank

pinging the ip will still not tell you that you are using the right port.

you need to list your DVR settings.

I need to upload the Inst4TWN.exe file back onto the DVR from the Software CD

your not windows based so you cant.

Inst4TWN.exe is on your pc that you are using to view your cctv and has nothing to do with your dvr

inst4twn.exe is a process from -. It can be found in the location of C:\Program Files\Common Files.inst4twn.exe is a potential security risk which can be modified maliciously by virus. inst4twn.exe virus should be disabled and removed if it was attacked and brought you inst4twn.exe error.

Check the security settings of your browser and ensure you are allowing ActiveX sounds like you have it being blocked.

i would not disable any security settings till you have found this problem

I get 'inst4twn.exe File Not Found' - this seems to be attempting to download from the DVR itself?

you will damage your operating system

The Inst4TWN.exe file can be a legitimate system file or a disguised threat to the computer as it is very easy for malicious threats to disguise themselves as genuine Inst4TWN.exe file and cause harm to your system. Once the Inst4TWN.exe is infected, it will not only attack your computer; delete necessary system files without letting you know.

your not windows based so you cant.

Inst4TWN.exe is on your pc that you are using to view your cctv and has nothing to do with your dvr

The ActiveX plugin is uploaded to the DVR (and stored on its disk) purely so that it can be offered as a download (to a Windows machine - running I.E.) from the DVRs webpage.

i would not disable any security settings till you have found this problem

The Inst4TWN.exe file can be a legitimate system file or a disguised threat to the computer as it is very easy for malicious threats to disguise themselves as genuine Inst4TWN.exe file and cause harm to your system. Once the Inst4TWN.exe is infected, it will not only attack your computer; delete necessary system files without letting you know.

I agree - I have tried downloading Inst4TWN.exe from some random (and possibly suspect) site using a 'One time use / disposable Virtual Machine'

The plugin seems to work fine - but I wouldn't risk running this in any non-captive environment.

The ActiveX plugin is uploaded to the DVR (and stored on its disk) purely so that it can be offered as a download

no its in the software download from dvr even if a H/drive is not fitted.

Quote from DVR Manual:-

“Upload IE ActiveX File”: Upload Active-X component to DVR for PC (IE Browser) using.

To get Active-X component from CD as attached and save it into USB disk. Then plug the USB disk into DVR for installation.

So Wherever it is stored - whether in Flash or on the HDD there is an option to upload it to the DVR - If I still had the Software cd...

zekezchry you are looking for a problem that you dont have. 1 YOU cant just load activex onto your dvr it would have to be a firmware update.

in your first post.

If I click on the link on the DVRs homepage to download the plugin I get 'inst4twn.exe File Not Found' - this seems to be attempting to download from the DVR itself?

'inst4twn.exe is a command from your PC and not your dvr its not something you can download from maplins. its saying you have a problem. it is not allowing you to download the activex from the dvr. so you need to sort that out first

zekezchry you are looking for a problem that you dont have. 1 YOU cant just load activex onto your dvr it would have to be a firmware update.

Ok as an experiment I copied my suspect copy of Inst4TWN.exe onto a USB pen drive and plugged it into the DVR.

Following the procedure in the Manual I Successfully uploaded the file onto the DVR (the DVR recognises the file as version 2.68 with a checksum of 0x05A6F9F5).

From I.E. on my PC,browsing to the DVR homepage, I can now select 'Please install this file, if you can`t see a black box below.' and the file downloads ok. Obviously there is no way I'm going to actually run this dodgy file.

This would seem to indicate that there is NO PROBLEM with my DVR - I just need to get my hands on a trustworthy version of the software CD.

(I'm currently in negotiations with an ebayer who is selling one of these DVRs to see if I can get a copy of the CD from them...)

This would seem to indicate that there is NO PROBLEM with my DVR

ok ill put it another way for you. your dvr manufacturer on making the software will also ADD activex (which is a licence to your dvr manufacturer. it there its done it in the software.

now unles you have (which you cant) taken the software off your dvr removed the active x part and the reloaded it then yes you will have a problem. (you cant reload active x back on) you will have to run the dvr software YOU CANT INSTALL PARTS

you could also have another problem (again you dont do anything with your dvr) is your active x is out of date and has no support.

your way around this is the pc you are trying to connect with you may need to change the time and date on it to say feb 2010 then try and call the active x from your dvr once loaded change your time back.

the other simple mistake is your DVR is port dependant you may need a port number to talk with your dvr other than 80.

FYI you can use activeX anywhere, when you hit the webserver your computer just downloads it.

But you would need to tell it what IP, login, and port to use.

If you send me the activeX or this installer, or anything else related to it, I will see what I can do with it.

FYI you can use activeX anywhere, when you hit the webserver your computer just downloads it.

But you would need to tell it what IP, login, and port to use.

If you send me the activeX or this installer, or anything else related to it, I will see what I can do with it.

Hi - This DVR is a little different from the usual devices that use activeX in that it makes no attempt to do an auto-install on loading the webpage. There is merely a link on the homepage that allows the download of an installer called Inst4TWN.exe. If this installer is run it installs a standalone DVR viewer application AND the activeX control (VxCtrl.ocx). I have tried installing just the activeX control (using regsvr32 VxCtrl.ocx) - within a Windows Virtual Machine and it seems to work fine. The problem I have is there seem to be many warnings about Malware versions of the Inst4TWN.exe installer and I no longer have the original CD that came with the DVR. I downloaded the version I tested from a website called DF SECURITY (df.dyndns.tv) but I have no idea whether this is a 'safe' copy.

There is merely a link on the homepage that allows the download of an installer called Inst4TWN.exe.

zekezchry. please listen ok. this command is not comming from your dvr it is comming up from your pc its being activated as you call for the dvr active x ...

Inst4TWN.exe. is a problem you have. nothing todo with your dvr but pc.

i dont know how anyone can help you if you dont fix this problem first

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+Inst4TWN.exe.%5B/&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&prmd=ivns&ei=vzEXT4rFEIyfOvuNyZQE&start=10&sa=N

If mysterious errors messages come across in your computer, you need to check whether the Inst4TWN.exe file in your computer is valid or not. Inst4TWN.exe error is one of the most common DLL errors that any PC user will come across. It always happens when the related Inst4TWN.exe file in the operating system is deleted, corrupted or infected by virus. So you need to fix Inst4TWN.exe as soon as possible!

zekezchry. please listen ok. this command is not comming from your dvr it is comming up from your pc its being activated as you call for the dvr active x ...

Inst4TWN.exe. is a problem you have. nothing todo with your dvr but pc.

i dont know how anyone can help you if you dont fix this problem first

Erm what problem???

The ONLY problem I currently have is that I can't find a trustworthy version of the Inst4TWN.exe installer.

I haven't EVER actually installed it on any of my PCs (except inside a virtual machine - which I subsequently erased).

Erm what problem???

The ONLY problem I currently have is that I can't find a trustworthy version of the Inst4TWN.exe installer.

I haven't EVER actually installed it on any of my PCs (except inside a virtual machine - which I subsequently erased).

YOU DONT INSTALL. Inst4TWN.exe it is a programe on your pc every windows has it and its not a problem. on your pc it is not working as it should. it is damaged not working as it should its been altered by another software or malware. and its stopping active x from loading as it should.

i dont know were to go with your post as i dont think you understand even with the links i have given you. the links have nothing to do with your dvr it was to show you the problem you have with your pc.

you keep saying you are looking for the Inst4TWN.exe file to load onto your dvr. its a standalone you cant load anything ..... nothing.

did you send your dvr ip to rory ???

can you tell us how old your dvr is if you are looking at the sentinal (MAPLINS) it is not a sentinal as in the dvr maker.

its 6/7 years old. i will have a look for the old dahua software for you.

YOU DONT INSTALL. Inst4TWN.exe it is a programe on your pc every windows has it and its not a problem.

Its not a Windows related file, seems it is specific to a particular DVR or Camera.

Either way, Im not installing it

Lots of issues come on a google search, some likely false though.

AVG has no issues with it but ..