KYZAAC

Poor Quality W/ Adapters + No Night Vision

I have a 4 cam DVR setup. I only had 2 Cam's setup because the 60ft cables that came with the kit were not long enough for where I needed the camera's.

I ordered a set of 4 60ft Cables off eBay and got them 2 days ago. I went to Radio Shack and picked up 2 BNC Female to Female cable connectors, then set the cameras where they needed to be. The camera with the BNC Connectors worked alright until night time rolled around, then the picture flickered with gross quality for a few seconds then went all black. Heres what the video looked like when I plugged it in to get a pic before it turned all black. (pic at bottom)

I thought bad cable, so I swapped it out with a cable that came with the DVR kit and the video was back up but very grainy, like a snowy tv. The next day the pic was good again, only in the daytime, when the night vision kicks in, the video goes back to poor quality.

I took the cable that I thought was bad and ran it direct from the DVR to the extra cam that wasn't hooked up yet and got a perfectly clear picture. As soon as I connect a BNC connector to these eBay cables they go all black. I tried all 4 cables and got the same results. I hooked one up direct again and set it up in the house to play with some settings, all seemed good, then soon as I shut the light off, I got rainbow lines across the screen and a froze pic of me shutting the light off, then the screen goes black.

After testing some more, I noticed these cables run fine with light, then soon as the night vision should kick in, it just freezes for a second then goes all black.

What do I need to get a clear picture?

Do all BNC Connectors cause poor quality?

Do I need a single length cable and no adapters for each camera?

Are these eBay cables just straight junk? I'm Confused.

Any help is appreciated.

213334_1.jpg

After testing some more, I noticed these cables run fine with light, then soon as the night vision should kick in, it just freezes for a second then goes all black.

the power wires are too small. at that distance, you're getting too much voltage loss once the ir turns on and the current draw increases.

best solution is to ditch the crap system completely.

workaround solution is to run a separate 18/2 power wire to each camera.

The system is good enough for what I need it for, so a simple work around would be good enough. I only need 2 camera's extended, and one of those is only by like 10-15 FT

The 60ft cables that came with the system run awesome, day and night, except the one with the BNC adapter.

I sent an email about the cables I ordered from eBay, they suggested the same thing about the power loss, I completely disconnected every camera and tried to hook up 1 camera with these wires and still the screen would go black when I shut the lights out.

So that must mean these cables are made of small **** wire? Sorry, I'm no expert when it comes to wires.

Would I only need to change the power wire? Could I cut the end off the original wire and place on the new 18/2 wire?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

This is the specs of the cable, does that mean anything?

BNC MALE + 2.1 5.5 mm DC JACK

BNC MALE + 2.1 5.5 mm DC PLUG

VIDEO CABLE: 100.12mm Tin Cu.

DC CABLE: 280.1mm Tin Cu.

Od: 3.0mm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110973443089&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

Is it the extra 60ft that is causing the quality loss, or the adapter? If I was to cut say 10-15ft of one of the 60ft cables and make up my own, would that make the quality any better?

And If I made my own cables, is coax and Coaxial the same? Is there a different type or qualities I should use?

Just buy one good cable the length you need and don't worry about bad BNC couplers and dollar store EBay crap cables. If you're anywhere near a city then there's a store that sells CCTV stuff and good pre-made cables for about the same price or maybe a hair more than you'd pay after shipping from EBay. If you take your camera in I bet they'll hook up your cam and their cable to a demo system before you pay for it.

Yes true, it would save the hassle. Unfortunately I don't live near a city, I live in a small town, closest city is 6 hours away. There is a "city" 30 mins away, with a walmart and mall and stuff lol. The source sells CCTV stuff but never had anything when I was there, they never even had adapters, I had to wait for some to come in.

They might be able to order some in though, I will have to ask. Actually I just checked their website, I checked a few and they were "Online only. Not available in Stores"

First, you should use single length cables without extensions or adapters.

Good prices on typical premade cables-

http://www.gadspot.com/p-38-bncpower-cut.aspx

Second, you probably have the wrong adapter from radio shack. I looked at their adapters the other day and not only were they grossly overpriced, they didn't have the appropriate adapter. Someone probably sold you the wrong spec'd adapter.

Third, if you're looking to push 240' with a typical 4-way power adapter that comes with these kits, even if it's only one or two lines, you're asking too much. It's most likely why the picture is dropping out at night. If you're using single power adapters @ 12v 1a, you most likely won't fair any better. Try a 12v 5a adapter for extreme distance of 240', or get power right at the camera somehow. Or try using true 18/2 wire just for the power line to the camera. I wouldn't push power past 150' max with typical power adapters and premade cable in the box sets, and frankly I wouldn't go over 100'.

Fourth, you probably have poor quality cameras who's IR isn't strong enough and therefore, even if they stay on in darkness, the picture will be poor and noisy. Adding exterior light will help night time picture quality. Or, invest in better quality IR cameras. Just to confirm, make sure all of your cameras IR's come on and work by connecting each camera to a good 60' cable and look to see that the IR's come on for each camera, and that ALL the IR's come on for each camera. Sometimes a few, half, or all a cameras IR's fail- even right out of the box with these sets.

Good luck.

Is it the extra 60ft that is causing the quality loss, or the adapter?

Hi. the cable link from ebay ......... these are crap your cameras and DVR are 75ohm and right from the start those cheap cables will give you quality problems as there 100ohms

simple fix for you is to use cat5 with baluns......... you then can use two pair for power then you will see your image improve and also with using baluns to give you 75ohms though your full system you will also see night image improve

Hi. the cable link from ebay ......... these are crap your cameras and DVR are 75ohm and right from the start those cheap cables will give you quality problems as there 100ohms

How is it they are 100ohms?

How is it they are 100ohms?

best looking at the cheap cables as being balanced ........ there just not made for cctv. ......... not only that the power side is next to useless...... as already been stated

Thanks for the help!

I told the seller I wanted to return them, they gave me a full refund and told me to keep the cables. I cut the power cable to take a look at the wires and never seen a wire so small in my life. Each wire had 3 copper strands about the size of a hair. They had be over 30 gauge.

I have a universal power adapter for laptops, I used the bnc end for the camera and the laptop end for power and the transfer between day and night vision worked perfectly. The image was kind of wavy though. All the other cameras have excellent quality. It's only for my driveway and garage, there has been alot of break in's & thefts recently. I don't want to go overboard. I only paid $140 for the whole unit so I can't really complain.

I have a few rolls of 16 & 18 Ga wire I used for car wire harness I can easily make a good power wire. I didn't cut the BNC cable, is there any difference in the quality of those cables? I thought I read somewhere they are all the same. I was wondering if I could cut it and just make a 10ft extension and wire it back together. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I'm going to cut it now to see what I can do with it.

First, you should use single length cables without extensions or adapters.

Good prices on typical premade cables-

http://www.gadspot.com/p-38-bncpower-cut.aspx

They have good prices. I like the premade option, that is something I could use, as I need a different length for every camera. Are these quality cables? Is there a way to find out what gauge they are made of? They look the same as the ones I just bought off ebay.

They have good prices. I like the premade option, that is something I could use, as I need a different length for every camera. Are these quality cables? Is there a way to find out what gauge they are made of? They look the same as the ones I just bought off ebay.

They are similar but may be a bit hardier. I haven't bought cable from them in a while, but it was fine when I did- actually nice thick cable but thin ends for power and bnc. Premade isn't the best way to go but if you must do it anyway, don't spend a ton on them cause they're all cheap anyway, and buy them closest to the length you'll need for the run. And always avoid extensions.

You'd be better to do the cat5 type thing Tom mentions, or get these things and make your own-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WHITE-500FT-BULK-RG59-SIAMESE-CABLE-20AWG-18-2-CCTV-SECURITY-CAMERA-WIRE-/121037256708?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item1c2e61f804

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Twist-on-BNC-Male-RG59-Connector-for-CCTV-cameras-/160984986516?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item257b73f394

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320728001952?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That's just a quick search- I'm not endorsing those sellers by any means. Do not fear 'rolling your own'. It's far better. Good luck.

Thanks for your efforts, I appreciate all the great help! I actually ordered the identical Male & Female DC Adapter Plugs a few hours ago, not from the same seller though. I hate to order another cable and have the exact same problem. I'll take a look around some shops tomorrow to see if I can find anything before I do anything else.

I'm not very good with wiring, I can usually manage the basic's, like making a power wire is simple enough and checking continuity and that sort of thing, but I don't get the ohms and all the technical stuff.

I'm still confused about the BNC cable. I read that it was regular coax cable like you use for your TV, then I seen some strange adapter that plugs an ethernet cable into it, plus a few other options. I just cut my BNC cable apart and it's not like the link you gave, thats what I was expecting, but all I have are 3 regular copper wires. Same size wires that were on the power end. I grabbed my small wire strippers to try and guess a size, the smallest gauge on them was 30 and it was way to big. This is my BNC cable, my power was the same except one wire was bare and one was coated.

213591_1.jpg

I'm thinking if I just get a big roll of 18 ga wire for cheap I can make my own pretty easily. I could probably even use the BNC ends I have by cutting down a few inches from the BNC connector and soldering 18 GA to the smaller wires.

I just realized that those 3 wires are for both the power and and video. About 5" from he connector the 2 wires go into a small box and go into 1 wire. Now i'm confused again lol

I guess I could just cut it after that little box and extend the cables from there maybe. Hopefully I can find a quality dealer so I dont have to deal with this lol

213596_1.jpg

I'm still confused about the BNC cable. I read that it was regular coax cable like you use for your TV, then I seen some strange adapter that plugs an ethernet cable into it, plus a few other options. I just cut my BNC cable apart and it's not like the link you gave, thats what I was expecting, but all I have are 3 regular copper wires. Same size wires that were on the power end. I grabbed my small wire strippers to try and guess a size, the smallest gauge on them was 30 and it was way to big. This is my BNC cable, my power was the same except one wire was bare and one was coated.

I'm thinking if I just get a big roll of 18 ga wire for cheap I can make my own pretty easily. I could probably even use the BNC ends I have by cutting down a few inches from the BNC connector and soldering 18 GA to the smaller wires.

Coax used for cable tv and cctv/video are essentially the same thing. They differ in that cctv and video cables benefit from being made with solid copper center conductors and copper sheild/braiding. TV coax will rarely be all copper including the center conductor being copper cladded steel. Both are 2 conductors and is 75 ohms.

You could use TV coax for cctv its just not ideal like the cable you have, it passes a continuity test but thats about it. Use 18awg wire if you need to improvise power cables but dont use it for the video. Either use coax or cat5 with baluns which will be easier to terminate the cables without special tools.

You mean something like this, and use the ethernet cable as the video cable? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT5-BNC-To-RJ45-Converter-Video-Balun-for-CCTV-Power-video-audio-PTZ-Camera-/230938057621?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item35c4fb1b95

That seems like an easy fix, I have a 100ft & 30ft Ethernet cable otw right now so I can setup a router in the garage. I'll try to get one of those things to try, I'm heading into town tomorrow.

I'm still slightly confused about the 2nd pic I posted. Right after the BNC connector & where the power wire was cut, I have that little box, it then goes into the same thing on the other end then splits into a BNC & power, just like the pic above. I cut the wire in the middle and have the Red, Black, & Yellow Wires. So I only have those 3 wires for both power and video already.

Would it not work if I was to replace those 3 small gauge wires with heavier gauge wires, but keep the original ends? I thought that was the whole problem to begin with?

Would it not work if I was to replace those 3 small gauge wires with heavier gauge wires, but keep the original ends? I thought that was the whole problem to begin with?

NO

That seems like an easy fix, I have a 100ft & 30ft Ethernet cable otw right now so I can setup a router in the garage. I'll try to get one of those things to try, I'm heading into town tomorrow.

NO this will not work either.

all you need is cat5 and a standard balun .......1 at each camera and 1 at DVR end

213604_1.jpg

213604_1.png

You mean something like this, and use the ethernet cable as the video cable? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT5-BNC-To-RJ45-Converter-Video-Balun-for-CCTV-Power-video-audio-PTZ-Camera-/230938057621?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item35c4fb1b95

I'm still slightly confused about the 2nd pic I posted. Right after the BNC connector & where the power wire was cut, I have that little box, it then goes into the same thing on the other end then splits into a BNC & power, just like the pic above. I cut the wire in the middle and have the Red, Black, & Yellow Wires. So I only have those 3 wires for both power and video already.

Use the "baluns" that tomcctv referenced since they will be easier to use and you wont have to worry about putting on RJ45 connectors if you dont have those tools. These will install with a simple screwdriver and you can use the spare pairs for other cams or for power leads.

You dont want to just use basic wire to run video as it should be coax or cat5 with baluns. Will it work, yes, you have proven that with poor results which may not be resolved by simply using larger wires. The reason for the 3 separate wires is they are using one of the wires for both the power ground and the ground for the video which is the outer foil/sheilding of coax normally. This is not uncommon with cheap cable and you will find that generally the equipment you hook everything up to will have a common ground anyway.

I found a shop that sells the video cables. For a 100ft Video cable with BNC ends ist $75 +tax, thats with no power wire. Thats kind of expensive.

So just to be clear, the Cat5 is for video only, then a separate power must be made as well right? Sorry guys, you must be getting frustrated with me by now lol

I found a shop that sells the video cables. For a 100ft Video cable with BNC ends ist $75 +tax, thats with no power wire. Thats kind of expensive.

So just to be clear, the Cat5 is for video only, then a separate power must be made as well right? Sorry guys, you must be getting frustrated with me by now lol

Even if the 100' cable was with power wires it seems a bit high, but that is local pricing I guess, then again it could be a premium brand of cable or burial grade or plenum grade to make it more expensive. I dont buy cable online but I noticed that the price shipped for proper CCTV coax runs about $200 for 1000' roll shipped from some online retailers that would sell direct to end users. Many sell in 500' length rolls too for about half that. Some sell premade but unsure if they buy them that way or they make them by hand, which may be better.

With the Cat5 since there is 4 pairs of wire you would use a single pair for one cameras video lead. Usually you would use at least 2 or all 3 of the remaining pairs for power this depends on the total distance to the camera and how much the load is.

ok, I understand how to make it work. I just don't get why one option will work and the other won't.

My cable is made out 3 copper wires, but if I shorten the cable to make a 10 ft extension, using the same type of wire, it will not work. Why won't it work if this is the way it was bought?

I can make my own out of cat5 cable and regular balun adapters, and that works. But if I buy the balun adapters with the ethernet port & premade Ethernet cables, It will not work. Just doesn't really make sense to me, but as I said, I dont understand electrical or wires etc.. lol

I'm going to order the Balun connectors tom mentioned and already have the DC jacks otw, once they get here I'll just cut the ends off an old ethernet cable and make I can get it to work before I order a big roll of cable

My cable is made out 3 copper wires, but if I shorten the cable to make a 10 ft extension, using the same type of wire, it will not work. Why won't it work if this is the way it was bought?

Did you mean to say that without the "not" I highlighted??? Like I said in another post its not that the wires you have will NOT work, its that they are far from the best way to run video and power, you have PROVED this correct? It works but it just does not work well. The shorter the distance that the signal and power has to travel the more likely this will work without issues, stretch it out and the flaws will show. I know a guy that used some speaker wire back in the day to hookup an extra TV in his house. Did it work, YES, did it work well NO. Replaced the wire with a piece of coax and then all channels worked perfectly.

I can make my own out of cat5 cable and regular balun adapters, and that works. But if I buy the balun adapters with the ethernet port & premade Ethernet cables, It will not work. Just doesn't really make sense to me, but as I said, I dont understand electrical or wires etc.. lol

I am not the one that said the device you posted "cat5 bnc to RJ45" would not work but I will say that a similar brand name device that has the features that that one does should cost five times what those do. Some of these devices are not in fact baluns but just physical connectors. There should be some kind of transformer built into them that "balances" and "unbalances" the signal that transmits across them. Because video cables are usually 75 ohms and cat5 is not so it essentially makes the cat5 balanced. So if you used a device that is not a proper balun then you are right back to where you started with a potential poor picture. One of the main reasons cat5 cabling is used for situations like this is the nature of the twists in the cable makes for a less noisy medium for signals to travel over it, much like coax where it has a shielding conductor surrounding the signal wire. When you take away the twists or shield you can run into problems.

For whatever reason unlike any other low voltage type equipment the CCTV business is just full of junk products and ultra cheap solutions for people doing DIY projects. Perfect example of this is the cables you got, you went to return them and its not even worth it for the seller to pay for the postage to get them back. Sometimes you install one of these products and they work just fine, but then there are times where you cant make chicken salad out of chicken sh...

Thanks for clearing that up, That's what I thought, it COULD work, just not well, then tomcctv answered NO like it was a ridiculous question lol.

I was thinking that it might hold me over for now if I made the 60ft cable into a 10ft cable. For one camera I only need an extra 10 feet. This way I'd be running 70ft instead of 120ft, with less distance to travel it maybe be enough with a stronger power wire. I have 4 scrap cables now anyway, something to play around with if nothing else.

I fully intend to go the Cat5 & balun route, I was just confused there for a minute. You mentioned you don't buy your cables online, are the cat5 cables all pretty decent quality or do they come in ****ty quality as well? If I wanted to buy a bulk roll of cat5 locally, is a video store the only place to go?

Appreciate the help

Thanks for clearing that up, That's what I thought, it COULD work, just not well, then tomcctv answered NO like it was a ridiculous question lol.

well am sorry it was ............. you have red-yellow and black YES ???? with your cheap lead kits.

and you want to replace with thicker cable. the answer is still NO

I was thinking that it might hold me over for now if I made the 60ft cable into a 10ft cable

your problem is your cable .... it needs to be 75ohms which your lead kits are not.

cat5 with baluns or rg59 with power are your only options

I fully intend to go the Cat5 & balun route, I was just confused there for a minute. You mentioned you don't buy your cables online, are the cat5 cables all pretty decent quality or do they come in ****** quality as well? If I wanted to buy a bulk roll of cat5 locally, is a video store the only place to go?

Appreciate the help

I dont buy cable online because I get it from a distributor locally and they dont stock budget cable. Not sure if you are in the US but the big hardware stores carry cat5 now or an electrical supplier will have it. Cable just like the rest of this stuff comes in a variety of quality, but I would bet the least expensive cat5 will be better than what you had. One thing I will mention, most cat5 you find may not be rated for outdoors, which is generally not true for coax. If most of the cat5 is out of the weather I wouldnt worry too much about it. Since most cat5 is designed for indoor it does not have the jacket to stand up to the UV abuse of sunlight. Covering it up in places that are exposed will only help extend the life.

Have you ordered baluns yet? Just making sure you order some that are actually baluns.