Todd

Tv out-multiplexor-switcher

I'm not camera savy so I'll try to frame this question the best I can. I've helped build a few systems but the newest one has me stumped.

Were intalling a Geo 1480 and will attach 16 cameras. Currently he has a system that uses vcr tapes, a multiplexor and a switcher. We plan to put the Pc in the office and he has 8 coax cables that run to a switcher in the front of his store to a small 9" monitor. They can switch between any of the cameras or just let it scan from the front area by pushing the buttons on the switcher.

Is there any way to use the TV out on the 1480 to this "switcher" so they can scroll cameras or will he be stuck with whatever is set in the geo system to display on the tv out. They would like some "control" at the front using only the switcher and a monitor.

Thanks for any help.

I have had poor results using a T-connector and Geovision. So I would not reccomend that option.

Maybe it's just my card, but it demands a good solid signal. I haven't narrowed down what the reason is, but it won't recognize video from a good number of cameras in the store. If I run them through a switch, then the signal is better and some will be recognized, but others are still never accepted. Maybe it's because the same cable is connected to other equipment, frankly it's above my current understanding.

Is there any way to use the TV out on the 1480 to this "switcher" so they can scroll cameras or will he be stuck with whatever is set in the geo system to display on the tv out. They would like some "control" at the front using only the switcher and a monitor.

Thanks for any help.

Does his switcher have loop outs from each of the camera inputs? If so simply jump off of those into the Geovision card.

Thanks,

John

I will try and get more info on his switcher. About all I know about it is it has 8 coax cables as input. Sorry for the lack of info.

According to the spec sheets can be used as terminated and looping, so yes can loop out with the cameras to the dvr.

Ok, thanks for the replies. How would we "loop" it to the 1480. We will have 16 cables comming into the system from the cameras. Then there are the cables that go to the switcher and then to the monitor, that are also by the DVR. I'm guessing we need some more hardware.

I've never done this before, so sorry for being a noob. I've built a few systems with the Geo cards but have never been faced with this.

Should be eight bnc inputs to the switcher and eight outputs from the switcher, run eight camera's to the switcher and then run eight to the dvr from the switcher. That will allow contol of the display of cameras on the monitor on the switcher and should provide good signal to the dvr.

Should be eight bnc inputs to the switcher and eight outputs from the switcher, run eight camera's to the switcher and then run eight to the dvr from the switcher. That will allow contol of the display of cameras on the monitor on the switcher and should provide good signal to the dvr.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/surveillance-video/vs5000.pdf

I'm not seeing the 8 outputs on this unit. I'm looking and reading it's functions and it explains that it can be homing or bridging but still only 8bnc's on the rear of the units for cameras.

He may end up having to use a powered splitter if this is the case, since I know with the Geovision cards if they get a weak signal then they will simply not even show video at all.

Good luck,

John

Ok, starting to make sense. I think they are only looking at 4 cameras on that monitor so the 8 cables would make sense. 4 in and 4 out. I'll take a look at it when I get there. Awesome help BTW. Much appreciated.

System set up was:

Asus p5GC-MX\1333 motherboard

onboard graphics

intel E4500

2 gig pc 6400 4-4-4-12 Corsair memory

WD SATA 160GB drive (system only)

WD mybook external 500gig for storage (hidden in wall)

GV-1480

Samsung DVD RW

Windows XP pro

Antec Sonata 3 case

First system up and running and doing well with this set up. Second system identical except for the storage hard drive which is a 750gig segate

All models feature terminating inputs (which can easily be converted

to looping inputs for applications requiring looping switchers), Took this straight from the spec sheet you posted.

According to the model and the Pelco installatio manual this unit has 17 bnc's on the back, 8 camera inputs, 8 camera outputs and one monitor output. hope this helps

All models feature terminating inputs (which can easily be converted

to looping inputs for applications requiring looping switchers), Took this straight from the spec sheet you posted.

I feel so... blond.

VS5108 = 8-input, single output

Try not to point and laugh at me to much today please.

Thanks,

John

LOL had to triple check myself, know how it is first to go is the mind, second is hearing, third is eyesight, and oh yeah did I tell ya first to go is the mind

Just an update. He had a sprite multiplexor in the office and the other switch was up front. We got rid of the multiplexor. We put a BNC splitter at the computer and sent the signal up to the switch. Everything seems to work fine. They can control the monitor at the front with the switch like they could earlier.

Thanks for all the help!!!