Gator

Geovision questions.

I deleted my question about finding Geovision manuals online. I guess they aren't available without having a card in hand. I'm trying to decide which model to buy and the marketing literature doesn't tell enough to make the choice. Maybe someone who has used the various cards in systems can help.

I want to monitor three or four cameras to begin with, but I expect that after some experience with the system, I may want to expand beyond four inputs later on. I probably will never need more than six inputs.

Is there any difference in motion detection performance between the GV600 and GV650 cards? My thought was that with a different frame rate, the motion detection function might perform somewhat differently.

Is the frame capture rate a configurable function? In other words, can you slow it down below the maximum available speed?

Is there any advantage using the GV650 vs the slower GV600 if smooth motion video presentation isn't necessary?

Has anyone used this board with an Intel Pentium 4C, 2.4GHz, dual channel memory, PC800? My system uses Intel chipset ICH5 and Intel Canterberry 875P Southbridge. Is there any conflict with dual monitor configuration? In the archives, I read of some slow-down with the Intel 845 chip, but I haven't read of an outright failure like I experienced with the NV3000 card in my system.

If I have an 8 channel card, can I choose six cameras for display, or would I have to choose 8 and have lost screen space? Is the frame rate set by the number of cameras selected or is it set by the number of board inputs? In other words is the FPS scaled across 2/4/6 or 8 inputs, or is the rate fixed by the number of inputs the board accepts?

Can a camera input that wasn't being watched be selected on the fly based on alarm inputs? If a back door motion detector alarms, can that door's camera be automatically be selected for viewing and recorded if it was previously off?

What is required to have the system issue X-10 commands? Can commands be associated with the camera that sees motion? For instance, if camera 3 has motion, can the system issue an X-10 command that turns on lighting only in that direction? Can the card issue X-10 commands as result of alarm inputs from motion detectors or photoelectric sensors?

I deleted my question about finding Geovision manuals online. I guess they aren't available without having a card in hand. I'm trying to decide which model to buy and the marketing literature doesn't tell enough to make the choice. Maybe someone who has used the various cards in systems can help.

Will try

I want to monitor three or four cameras to begin with, but I expect that after some experience with the system, I may want to expand beyond four inputs later on. I probably will never need more than six inputs.

You kind of answered your own question; 8 channel card it is!

Is there any difference in motion detection performance between the GV600 and GV650 cards? My thought was that with a different frame rate, the motion detection function might perform somewhat differently.

I haven't noticed any real difference from one card to the next just as far as the motion detection function itself goes, but I would imagine the faster the card the better, overall.

Is the frame capture rate a configurable function? In other words, can you slow it down below the maximum available speed?

Yes you can adjust it per camera.

Is there any advantage using the GV650 vs the slower GV600 if smooth motion video presentation isn't necessary?

No Difference other than the frames per second as far as video goes. The GV650 has 1 more channel of audio though.

Has anyone used this board with an Intel Pentium 4C, 2.4GHz, dual channel memory, PC800?

I've used the GV800 with an Intel 2.6 Ghz Celeron and 256MD DDR Memory before - it worked. However, that is using the older software, with 8.xx came the need for much more RAM and CPU, RAM even more important - its quite the memory hog now.

My system uses Intel chipset ICH5 and Intel Canterberry 875P Southbridge. Is there any conflict with dual monitor configuration? In the archives, I read of some slow-down with the Intel 845 chip, but I haven't read of an outright failure like I experienced with the NV3000 card in my system.

Please take a quick look through the document here, shows some past tested configurations from GeoVision. I do see that Chipset with quite a few of the systems they tested. However, it is important to note they were also tested using the older software versions (5.3-6.1), can't say if that matters or not though.

If I have an 8 channel card, can I choose six cameras for display, or would I have to choose 8 and have lost screen space?

Yes there is a 6 way multi view.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/webnew.jpg

Is the frame rate set by the number of cameras selected or is it set by the number of board inputs? In other words is the FPS scaled across 2/4/6 or 8 inputs, or is the rate fixed by the number of inputs the board accepts?

Live Video - It will be the total number of available frames divided by the number of enabled cameras.

Recorded Video - If using motion detection recording you would set it to Smart Motion Detection; it will adjust the total frames divided by the number of cameras with active motion detection.

Can a camera input that wasn't being watched be selected on the fly based on alarm inputs? If a back door motion detector alarms, can that door's camera be automatically be selected for viewing and recorded if it was previously off?

Not sure on this one as I never used alarms with the Geo. May want to start a new thread just on this one, or see if someone that knows checks this thread out.

What is required to have the system issue X-10 commands? Can commands be associated with the camera that sees motion? For instance, if camera 3 has motion, can the system issue an X-10 command that turns on lighting only in that direction? Can the card issue X-10 commands as result of alarm inputs from motion detectors or photoelectric sensors?

Not sure on that one either, would be the same as the alarms probably as far as them both using the Geo Input devices.

Rory

Yes. Alarms (inputs) can be used to start recording on selected cameras for a predefined time. You can also use them to move PTZ cameras to particular locations.

Thanks so much for all the answers and also for the link to the knowledgebase articles. I think the second audio channel is enough reason to choose the GV650 over the GV600 for my application. I wanted to be sure these wasn't a disadvantage to buying the faster card for a dated computer. Since the frame rate can be set per camera, I hope that means CPU utilzaation might be tailored to the capability of my computer.

It sounds likeI guess the next thing to do is to buy the card and spend some time learning my way around all the features.

I would like to use motion detection feature to turn on outdoor lighting. I think this can be done by wiring a Geovision relay card to an X-10 Powerflash module. If there is a way to send commands through an X-10 interface module from the RS232 port, that would save me an extra card slot. I'm sure Visual Basic would do it with the ocx driver, but I haven't touched VB in six years or more and I wasn't good at it then, lol. I know X-10 isn't a favorite for quality installations, but I already have quite a few X-10 modules, maybe 20 or so, collected and many of them are already wired in the house. So I would like to put them to use again.

You'll find that the motion detection in GV (or any other camera system) will not be good for triggering events. They are not motion detection, they are scene change detection (although that specific phrase is used by GV for a different feature.)

So, changing shadows as the sun moves - that's motion. Bug on the lens - that's motion. Car headlights casting a shadow - that's motion.

If you really want to detect motion, you need to use something like passive infra-red. It isn't perfect either (for prices most people want to pay), but it is more reliable that acting on GV's motion detection.

And from there you can then link the hardware motion into the I/O card and link to camera pop up mode, meaning motion detected will pop up a camera.

There are plenty of sensor lights that you culd link to this motion sensor