skydvrz

Any comments on EZWatch Pro?

I own a laundromat and have had some vandalism and theft problems. I am looking to replace my old security VCR / 2-camera system with a PC based solution. The VCR died and missed yet another break-in.

EZWatch looks pretty good to me - has anyone tired their software & video capture card?

The EZWatch web site is at:

http://www.ezwatchstore.com

Well, I ended up buying one.

Recording works well, but the playback feature is a bit weird. Sometimes the software says it is playing a video clip but nothing appears in the playback window. If you double click on the playback window a couple times, it works. I will be calling EZWatch tech support soon on that one.

One other problem was the 4 video inputs on the card were marked backwards - Channel 1 was actually channel 4 and so on. I thought the card was dead until I started moving connectors around on the card.

I bought EZWatch because the HP PC I wanted to use has a Via chipset - something the Geo card makers said was not compatible with their hardware and software.

EZWatch has no restrictions on BIOS or the motherboard chipset. You just need a reasonably fast CPU, lots of RAM and a big hard disk drive - same as all the other DVR boards.

I don't usually buy pre-built PCs but this one was a factory refurb and cheaper than what it would cost me to build one from scratch.

EZwatch Pro has been nothing but a problem to me. I have a 8 camera system that regularly decides to become unable to find the capture boards even though they show up in device manager... I have uninstalled, reinstalled, edited the registry... I have finally ordered a real system. You will find absolutely NO support from EZwatch. They do not respond at all. As they say BUYER BEWARE... Look for my 2 boards and software on ebay as soon as I get around to dumping it.

Okay, first off we strive in 100% customer service. We have been around for quite some time. Have many VERY satisfied customers or else we wouldnt be around for as long as we have.

Laughable... I did sell the EzWatch on Ebay. I now own a GeoVision and must say it is far superior! I have had no problems with it at all. I also have the VIA chipset and it works fine.

Hi,

What DVR card model did you have?

There was a defect in one of the IC's on the 14XX series boards. The newest boards (54xx) don't have that problem. And no GeoVision is not far superior, well perhaps it comprises some more features, but it is more difficult to use in the end, IMO.

Regards,

Ron

Ron,

I am sure the readers will weigh the opinions with the fact that you work for one of the companies while I don't. I am happy to hear that you fixed your faulty boards - that doesn't explain the lack of support - in fact I sent one of the 4 input boards back for repair. Actually the problem appeared to be a driver issue not a hardware issue but I don't know what kind of chip problem you found. I don't remember a recall notice ;)

Best wishes. Maybe the new model fixes the problem. I was just sharing my opinion of the system based on my experiences.

Hi,

I don't know EzWatch, so I cannot comment on their support. There are no recalls on DVR cards, as far as I know. And yes, reinstalling the drivers fixes things most of the time.

Regards,

Ron

I'm new here and I still don't have a clue how this forum works and who is in charge here. And I certainly don't know who you are. Please advise ...

How can one post a message (as opposed to replying) in this forum?? How can one contact the forum administrator?

Regards,

Ronald

When I try to send a PM to someone in this forum, I get the following error:

"Sorry, but the administrator has prevented you from sending private messages, or you have under 10 posts.

Any spam attempt will fail

Also, please do not use the PM system to send unsolicated advertising messages to members. If you try your account may be DISABLED. "

I sure have posted more than 10 replies thus far. Or, don't those count??

Regards,

Ronald

EZwatch Pro has been nothing but a problem to me. I have a 8 camera system that regularly decides to become unable to find the capture boards even though they show up in device manager... I have uninstalled, reinstalled, edited the registry... I have finally ordered a real system. You will find absolutely NO support from EZwatch. They do not respond at all. As they say BUYER BEWARE... Look for my 2 boards and software on ebay as soon as I get around to dumping it.

I have had ongoing problems with mine (3.0) on a dedicated PC running XP with no other apps in use. It is a pain asking a neighbor who has a key to reboot everytime it locks up. Often just the usual Windows message states that there is an error with EzWatch.

EzWatchIP locks if the internet connection is lost during a storm and when it locks it locks the entire PC. Their answer was to get an internet service that stays up. Sure, such a thing exists on cable service. I have a timer that turns off the router and cable modem every day to clear them and bought a 5$ IP app to replace EzWatchIP.

Half the cameras have failed but were replaced under warranty. I considered upgrading versions but wonder if that will be money wasted since I would probably have to buy another board.

Perhaps I can use the board with another vendor's app?

>I have had ongoing problems with mine (3.0) on a dedicated PC running XP with no other apps in use. It is a pain asking a neighbor who has a key to reboot everytime it locks up. Often just the usual Windows message states that there is an error with EzWatch.<

What Windows version are you using?

>EzWatchIP locks if the internet connection is lost during a storm and when it locks it locks the entire PC. Their answer was to get an internet service that stays up. Sure, such a thing exists on cable service. I have a timer that turns off the router and cable modem every day to clear them and bought a 5$ IP app to replace EzWatchIP.<

I've never heard of any clients with such a problem. Could it a PC hardware problem causing it. Have you checked in Event Manager?

>Half the cameras have failed but were replaced under warranty.<

Only a UPS can protect cameras under storms.

>Perhaps I can use the board with another vendor's app?<

No

Regards,

Ronald

>I have had ongoing problems with mine (3.0) on a dedicated PC running XP with no other apps in use. It is a pain asking a neighbor who has a key to reboot everytime it locks up. Often just the usual Windows message states that there is an error with EzWatch.<

What Windows version are you using?

>EzWatchIP locks if the internet connection is lost during a storm and when it locks it locks the entire PC. Their answer was to get an internet service that stays up. Sure, such a thing exists on cable service. I have a timer that turns off the router and cable modem every day to clear them and bought a 5$ IP app to replace EzWatchIP.<

I've never heard of any clients with such a problem. Could it a PC hardware problem causing it. Have you checked in Event Manager?

>Half the cameras have failed but were replaced under warranty.<

Only a UPS can protect cameras under storms.

>Perhaps I can use the board with another vendor's app?<

No

Regards,

Ronald

Hi Ron. As noted I am using XP with up to date SP's. The PC and cameras have been on a UPS since originally installed. The storms don't bother the cameras. Storm can interrupt the cable internet service outside the building and EZWatchIP does not like that. Also EZWatch itself does not like an internet outage if it sends an email so I disabled that feature.

I have sent screen shots and anything else EZWatch support asked for. At some point I gave up as they stopped responding.

Sometimes I am lucky and get in via the remote control to kill EZWatch and reboot since the autoreboot won't work when EZWatch decides to puke. Fortunately I have a patient friend who has been stopping in when I am out of town to reset.

When it works it is very useful for remote monitoring. I would like to see the cameras from my iPhone but would be happy to just have a reliable application doing what it is supposed to do- watching my building in a different state!

Let me look at the Events to see if the last lockup or no-start was captured.

Thanks

Doug