pns

Odd playback behaviour - AVTECH 761

We have had a 4-channel Avtech 761 DVR now for a while, and it's mostly behaved OK (apart from occasionally locking out saying 'Too Many Users' when there weren't).

However, recently the playback behaviour has been very odd when looking at the four cameras in the 'quad' display mode (or whatever it's called).

When looking at live images, each of the positions 1 - 4 (1 = top left, 4 = bottom right) corresponds as one would expect, to the cameras connected to the Input BNC sockets.

When playing back however, although on the monitor, cameras 1,2 and 4 show the recorded data for the appropriate time, camera 3 shows the LIVE data from camera 1!

If I change so that I'm displaying a single channel, and select channel 3, then that (missing in quad view) channel is displayed correctly (ie data has been recorded as expected).

This behaviour is experienced both by looking at the monitor output, and when using the 'Video Server' application, or the web browser version.

The box has been physically disconnected & moved recently, but I'm sure that the cables are back as originally connected (and the camera inputs definitely DO go to the appropriate Input sockets. I am not aware whether there are any internal DIP switch settings or other options that might cause this behaviour, but I cannot see any software options that seem relevant.

It's possible that his strange behaviour started around this time, but I can't be certain.

I have called the supplier, who has no idea but suggests resetting the box to factory default, and assures me that this won't delete any video data that's on the HDD.

I'm a bit unclear as to just when the video data is acually digitised - since we can (by selecting channel 3 full-screen) get the normal time-stamped data for that channel, I'm assuming that it is digital at that stage, and that somehow the system is playing back 3 channels of digitised data, and substituting the LIVE feed from one channel in a different channel's place.

Very grateful for any logical explanation and suggested cures!

Very grateful for any logical explanation and suggested cures!

With the newer AVTech products is it possible to change the layout of the images on screen - ie the images coming in to ch1 can be displayed in the lower right, if that makes more sense to you. I think this is done by pressing enter, then up/down to select a channel number. Check your manual.

There is also an option to specify that one or more screens will continue to display live images while in playback mode. ie, you can keep an eye on critical cameras while you are playing back the recorded video.

Sounds like the live-display-during-playback option has been accidentally selected. Check your manual and it will tell you how to set it back.

If you choose to reset to factory (which should fix it) be sure you have written down all your settings and can reprogram them. things like Motion Detect sensitivity / mask etc.

With the newer AVTech products is it possible to change the layout of the images on screen - ie the images coming in to ch1 can be displayed in the lower right, if that makes more sense to you. I think this is done by pressing enter, then up/down to select a channel number. Check your manual.

I think this is the 'Set' feature on the 'Video Server' app. However I don't think this is the explanation here - Channel 1 (top left) displays in the normal place during live play, but during playback I get Channel 1 (playback) top left, and Channel 1 (live) where I would expect Channel 3. I would have thought that moving the channel's location on the screen would apply both to live viewing and playback.

There is also an option to specify that one or more screens will continue to display live images while in playback mode. ie, you can keep an eye on critical cameras while you are playing back the recorded video.

Sounds like the live-display-during-playback option has been accidentally selected. Check your manual and it will tell you how to set it back.

I can see the logic in this but having searched all the options, in the OSD and the Video Server app, and checked through the user manual, I can't find any trace of this at all. I guess it's possible that it is a feature that's present in my version of the firmware, and has somehow got turned on, but not yet made it into the user interface I have.

I have previously searched online for updated firmware, but without luck.

Unless anyone has any further suggestions I guess I might be heading for the factory reset.

I was just playing around with my DVR upstairs... Here's what I found:

To configure live view during playback:

1) Go into playback mode (just hit Play)

2) Press "SET/ENTER" - one of the camera images will go green

3) Use the Up/Down/Left/Right buttons to move the green box around to select one of the cameras (or an empty channel)

4) Use the + and - buttons to select a channel number

5) Press "SET/ENTER" again.

From now on, when you go into playback mode, you will still see the live view of the selected channel in the selected camera position. ie if you highlight camera position 3 and select "01" then during lpayback channel 3 will show a live view of channel 1.

To turn it off:

Your guess is as good as mine. The manual doesn't show how to turn it off again. So now I have a live view image in my playback and I can't turn it off - I'm now in the same boat you are - only I have 16 channels, 10 cameras and I use a spare slot for this test. So it may be a little annoying, but it's not the end of the world.

Are you using all 4 channels?

Does anyone know how to turn off Live View during playback?

I have an AVC-785. Found this interesting. Doesn't say anything in the manual about it. Set up the live view like posted before. Then reversed the process to get back to recorded. Had to push set to get out and then push set to change it back. Couldn't change it back without going clear out. Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi - sounds hopeful but I've had a quick play remotely & can't seem to set it back to playback rather than give a live feed DURING playback.

I can see how to use 'set' as described but not how to undo things (and yes I have only 4 channels & am using them all!)

If you are able to give a slightly more detailed description of the process that would be very useful

I did not know about this feature!

Although this is a problem for you, it is a solution that I can provide to others who may need this option.

Thank you PNS for posting this "issue".

Thank you Scruit for your "hands on observations".

If anyone needs a manual for the DVR, or if they need to see a tutorial on how to do a manual reset then go here....

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

To change the camera image layout during live view:

1) Go to the live view

3) Use the Up/Down/Left/Right buttons to move the green box around to select one of the cameras (or an empty channel)

4) Use the + and - buttons to select a channel number. The channel numbers are in white.

To change the camera image layout during playback:

4) Use the + and - buttons to select a channel number ....

As you cycle through the channels numbers you will see they switch between white and yellow as you roll over (ie White 1-2-3-4 then Yellow 1-2-3-4 then White 1-2-3-4 etc)

When you select a channel number, White means LIVE and Yellow means PLAYBACK.

ie - While you are playing back you want camera image 4 to show a live view of channel 1... Press 'Set' button, use up/down/left/right to highlight image 4, then user + / - to select "WHITE" 01, then press Set.

ie If you want to restore your 4ch playback to factory default...

1) - Press 'Set' button, use up/down/left/right to highlight image 1, then user + / - to select "YELLOW" 01, then press Set.

Repeat for images 2-4.

Another cool thing with this feature...

- My 16 ch CPCam (AVTech) DVR has 4, 9 and 16ch display modes.

- I can change the the layout in 9ch display to show the 9 most important cameras...

- I can also change the layout of the 4ch view to be the 4 critical cameras...

It will remember the 9ch and 4ch layouts seperately... And these settings survive restarts.

pns, did this solve your problem?

To change the camera image layout during live view:

1) Go to the live view

4) Use the + and - buttons to select a channel number. The channel numbers are in white.

To change the camera image layout during playback:

4) Use the + and - buttons to select a channel number ....

As you cycle through the channels numbers you will see they switch between white and yellow as you roll over (ie White 1-2-3-4 then Yellow 1-2-3-4 then White 1-2-3-4 etc)

When you select a channel number, White means LIVE and Yellow means PLAYBACK.

ie - While you are playing back you want camera image 4 to show a live view of channel 1... Press 'Set' button, use up/down/left/right to highlight image 4, then user + / - to select "WHITE" 01, then press Set.

ie If you want to restore your 4ch playback to factory default...

1) - Press 'Set' button, use up/down/left/right to highlight image 1, then user + / - to select "YELLOW" 01, then press Set.

Repeat for images 2-4.