fas

Need Help with Fuse for Napco Power Supply

I need a replacement fuse for a 4 cam napco power supply. The manual says it used a 1.0A/250 VAC. I believe this is a blade-type automotive fuse. Where can I pick up a few of these? If I can't find 1amp, can I use something similar? I searched the net but found nothing in 1amp. I was told to try an auto parts store. What do you think?

Is it a plastic ATC automotive type? If so the plastic should be black in color for 1 amp. The 1 amp is not a very popular size, however in my previous life I saw them in car audio equipment.

Search: 1a atc fuse on the web, they are out there.

I hope thats what your after.

Yes, it is plastic and probably an automotive type. I can't seem to find them anywhere. I have seen ones rated at 32vac, but not at 250vac. Can I use one rated at only 32vac even though the specs say it should be rated at 250vac? This is the worst panel I have ever used. If you can't get a replacement fuse, what good is it?

Yes!

Your power supply is rated 12 volts, so a fuse with a 32 volt breakdown rating is fine. The current rating is what is critical in this particular application.

The ATC fuse is easier to replace if you get an ATC fuse puller!

(available at most automotive suppliy stores)

You are probably going to have to buy them online as most automotive stores don't carry this type fuse in anything lower than 5 amps.

That 250 volt rating is incorrect but probably applied to earlier models that had glass fuses.

This place lists them!

http://www.steinair.com/fuses.htm

It probably would not hurt to use a larger fuse such as a 2 amp. The voltage on any type of overcurrent device would be on the "load" side. In other words, if you are "protecting" something that is on a 12vdc circuit, you are OK with a 32vdc fuse. Fuses are normally rated for more voltage than what the device is on. Large fuses are normally rated for 250vac or 600 vac. A fuse is really trying to protect an electrical device from a short circuit for the most part, a lot quicker than a circuit breaker does. An "overload" is much less common, in my line of work, than a "short circuit".

Voltage rating of a fuse does not indicate the operational voltage of the fuse. The voltage rating determines the maximum voltage that will not jump the gap between the elements after the fuse has already blown. Its all about fire protection and safety, the fuse will operate at the rated voltage and any voltage below its rating. Always good to follow the manufacturer spec for required fuse replacement.

True. Hard to explain "overcurrent protection" to someone who is not working in an electrical field. First way to learn about fusing, would be to get a Bussman catalog. Has a lot of info in it. Better yet, attend a Bussman seminar, only if interested of course. I fuse everything, versus using CB's. I have inline fuses on my truck hitch trailer plug. Better safe and sorry.