CottyGee

Dang it, I'm goin' nuts here... Gotta pick one!

Man alive... I'm really struggling with this. Picking a DVR, I mean. What can I post that will get me the help I need/want??

The most helpful things so far are me seeing screen shots of, or "movie" files of, actual playback, and viewing a machine's playback. I've still got some I need to watch that are on YouTube....

Overall, I'm finding image quality to be surprisingly less than I expected... I suppose lots of concessions have been made regarding image quality to reduce file size for transmission over the 'Net.

Anyhow, I'm definitely on the very low end of the DVR market, price-wise. And so far, I haven't found anything with an image quality that "WOW"s me that I can afford...

Budget is $500 or under, and the quality of the image that can be retrieved from the hard drive is the most important thing to me. So far, there are maybe 3 machines I'm considering:

• Avermedia 1304 + Net

• G4-LTA H.264 DVR (whose brand IS this, anyhow??)

• AVTech AVC761 (CPcam CPD561) /

I have yet to find something stunning... I was *hoping* the G4-LTA would be impressive, but it didn't seem a whole lot better or worse than others I've seen.

Is there a clear winner for recorded image quality in my price point, or are these machines going to stack up fairly close?

Any help appreciated. I've got to do something soon. The time-lapse VCR sucks!

Edited by Guest

Man alive... I'm really struggling with this. Picking a DVR, I mean. What can I post that will get me the help I need/want??

The most helpful things so far are me seeing screen shots of, or "movie" files of, actual playback, and viewing a machine's playback. I've still got some I need to watch that are on YouTube....

Overall, I'm finding image quality to be surprisingly less than I expected... I suppose lots of concessions have been made regarding image quality to reduce file size for transmission over the 'Net.

Anyhow, I'm definitely on the very low end of the DVR market, price-wise. And so far, I haven't found anything with an image quality that "WOW"s me that I can afford...

Budget is $500 or under, and the quality of the image that can be retrieved from the hard drive is the most important thing to me. So far, there are maybe 3 machines I'm considering:

• Avermedia 1304 + Net

• G4-LTA H.264 DVR (whose brand IS this, anyhow??)

• AVTech AVC760

I have yet to find something stunning... I was *hoping* the G4-LTA would be impressive, but it didn't seem a whole lot better or worse than others I've seen.

Is there a clear winner for recorded image quality in my price point, or are these machines going to stack up fairly close?

Any help appreciated. I've got to do something soon. The time-lapse VCR sucks!

Well.. AVC760's recording MJPEG. Harddisk comsumption's pretty high. Quality so so. You can only backup through network. Backing up speed's more than real time even through direct connection with cross cable. e.g. 1 mins of backup, u might need ard 2-3mins. Per channel. And network performace is of essential to you, you might want to see a demo before deciding on this model. Most likely you'll not pick it after the demo.

Avermedia, not too sure. I used their older model, the 1004BAK, and 1004NET. Not very please with it. Compared to AVTech, i'll take AVTech. But now their new models seems to get quite good review. So you gotta ask those that use it.

G4-LTA H.264 DVR , no idea.

Thanks for the reply.

And (if) network performace is of essential to you, you might want to see a demo

I don't see network performance being much of an issue. Backup isn't an issue - as a homeowner, the only time I'd need to "keep" something would be on the rare occasion that something "happens".

For the AVTech AVC760, is network the only way to get video off the machine, or can it dump video to a thumbdrive or something??

Thanks for the reply.
And (if) network performace is of essential to you, you might want to see a demo

I don't see network performance being much of an issue. Backup isn't an issue - as a homeowner, the only time I'd need to "keep" something would be on the rare occasion that something "happens".

For the AVTech AVC760, is network the only way to get video off the machine, or can it dump video to a thumbdrive or something??

Yes, 760 only backup through network.

You'll need to look at 761 for USB.

Yes, 760 only backup through network.

You'll need to look at 761 for USB.

Oops! I think I knew that... I edited my original post.

The Avermedia 1304 is definitely better local and remote quality than the Avtech, also more expensive. Never heard of the other one.

if you need to view it remotely with a mac though, you would want something like the AcTech as that has a Java viewer and the Avermedia does not (as far as I know)