Hey falks,

I have a system with about 200 cameras, I want to go with IP cameras but not sure if thats the right path.

The question is if I need to have a strong internet line to the place if I want all these cameras, or if I only need my NVR and switch with lots of ports?

none of these cameras needs to be connected to the Internet and they all will run in thereown LAN.

I was thinking since all the network traffic is local only maybe my external line has nothing to do with the system, and I just need my switch to be able to handle all this data, but not sure I'm right

can you chip in w/ advice?

That's right, If all the cameras and storage are on a local LAN you don't even need internet.

200 cameras is going to need a top notch LAN. I would have it engineered by an RCDD if I were you...

thanks for the quick reply, so what is it in the LAN that decides how many cameras (or better what is the device that decides how much bandwidth the LAN is goinf to have?

when you recommend RCDD is it because of the network complicity of 200 cams or is there an additional device I'm not aware of?

So, if I understand you correctly you have a current analog system with 200 cameras and your looking to upgrade to IP.

First, let me answer your questions:

1) Your internet connection has nothing to do with your LAN.

2) Your going to need a few different switches and alot of servers.

3) Depending on the cameras being installed, your most likely going to want to create seperate networks for each groups of cameras. Then for central viewing install a client and you'll be able to view all cameras

Can you please answer the following questions:

1) Have you decided on the type of cameras you will be using? If so please list the manufacture and model, quantity, frame rate, resolution, and estimated precentage of time recording:

2) Have you decided how many cameras you will now need with your IP based system?

3) Will you be keeping any of your analog cameras, if so, how many cameras and what type of encoder?

4) Will you be doing NAS or will every server have it's own storage?

Good Luck.

Also here's a quick diagram of what I was talking about.

Isolating the networks for the cameras, and then creating a seperate network for the clients.

Drawing1.thumb.jpg.00af3f45ee0242d4b4fc9cc5de12c9e7.jpg

thanks for the replies everyone. especially for the diagram securitysys, appreciated.

this was just an idea we were considering. after going through the #s we ended up with analog system will be more affordable for the customer. though I would love to do it IP still. too bad I'm not the one to sign the check

Aimetis just did a test with 200 IP cameras and the basic license on one Dell server. I forget the fps they used but it can be done one server. But you will need a lot of storage.

I was thinking since all the network traffic is local only maybe my external line has nothing to do with the system, and I just need my switch to be able to handle all this data, but not sure I'm right

At first I would find a best FPS/compression/bandwith proportion for your cameras.

You can do it with any IP camera calculator.

Practical bandwith of 1Gbit LAN is about 500 mbits. So for 200 cameras you shold have a camera bandwith of 2.5 mbits. Than you can figure out your compression/FPS.